• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I thought Ledesma was signed to the Argentinean Super Rugby team for 2016 and was working with the Tahs as some sort of exchange?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That was the assumption but I don't think it's been announced, would've thought he couldn't do his RWC role if he was going to coach Argentina too.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
That was the assumption but I don't think it's been announced, would've thought he couldn't do his RWC role if he was going to coach Argentina too.

Why? It's no different to what Larkham's doing. The core of the Argentinian Super Rugby side is going to the world cup so there wouldn't be much they're doing for Super Rugby until after it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why? It's no different to what Larkham's doing. The core of the Argentinian Super Rugby side is going to the world cup so there wouldn't be much they're doing for Super Rugby until after it.

Yeah fair point but no announcement that he's their coach yet. Probably will be.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So if Taqele plays some minutes against the Eagles. Warriors cancels his contract and he would be available for Tahs next year, right?

Good move by Cheika

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A Wallabies Cap means that he becomes ineligible for Fiji or Scotland (when/if he met residential criteria).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I heard that SRU pays part of his contract and only if he's eligible for the national team

Nick McArdle on Rugby HQ said if he gets capped for the Wallabies it will null his Glasgow contract and he's still a chance of turning out for the Waratahs next season if they can fit him under the cap, interesting stuff.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nah. Still running on old information. The Glasgow contract has been bog standard from the very beginning. From a combination of news articles, press releases, informed forumites and a chance encounter the old man had with Sean Lineen, this is what I've pieced together.

In June/July 2014 Gregor Townsend holidays to Australia because he likes Southern Hemisphere Rugby. During this time he sees Naiyaravoro play and likes what he sees. Tells Glasgow recruitment staff to keep an eye on him.

At some point following the NRC, but before Super Rugby starts, Townsend decides he wants him, and approaches the SRU for permission to sign him. This is granted, and Glasgow open negotiations with his agent.

At the Same time however, the SRU and Edinburgh combined make an approach, given Toonie's track record with internationals. They want to replicate Glasgows Fijiian flairs, but with the potential for Scottish representation.

This offer is made in Australia by Scott Johnson on a trip home, and is where the Australian media have been getting all the details about the offer. Instead of doing their research properly, they've just thought they got the club wrong.

And why would the SRU do this? Because Toonie is out for Toonie. It's not meant to sound negative, but the long and short is that he's been very willing to not do what's best for Scotland, and instead do what's best for Glasgow.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if e ends up coming back and playing for one of the Aussie Super sides. It's not due to an automatic nullifying of his contract, it'll be behind the scenes discussion between Glasgow, his manager, and other relevant bodies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would seem that Naiyaravoro has decided that he wants to be an Aussie.

After getting capped for the Wallabies, he'd be able to return to Australia after any Scottish contract and play Super Rugby and be eligible for the Wallabies again.

If he didn't get capped, any return to Australia after a Glasgow contract would still have to be followed by a three year residency period to become eligible again I believe.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From a combination of news articles, press releases, informed forumites and a chance encounter the old man had with Sean Lineen, this is what I've pieced together.
Good post.

However, forgive—or at least allow—a bit of a laugh at this bit... :)

In June/July 2014 Gregor Townsend holidays to Australia because he likes Southern Hemisphere Rugby.

Don't worry, no moral high horse here. In an ideal world this bloke would be aspiring to play for Fiji (and every 8 year old girl would have their own pony ... with a pink coat).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Toonie makes no secret of his adoration of Super Rugby. He loves Scotland and Glasgow yes, but the style and intensity of the play down South enthrals him. Follow him on twitter and you'd see.

The way I phrased that is a bit funny/all over the place. And I don't particularly mind who he plays for at international level, provincial rugby is a different beast, you need a combination of the best scottish/scottish-eligible players possible as well as a good cohort of non-scottish players for Rotation, coverage during the 6 Nations and ultimately improving your best 23.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Doesn't it change TN's 'Kolpak' status as he is now considered an Australian and not a Fijian meaning that he will now take up a non-EU spot in the team. Or can he still claim to be Fijian as he will still have citizenship there despite representing Australia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Doesn't it change TN's 'Kolpak' status as he is now considered an Australian and not a Fijian meaning that he will now take up a non-EU spot in the team. Or can he still claim to be Fijian as he will still have citizenship their despite representing Australia.

I would have thought the Kolpak ruling had nothing to do with Naiyaravoro's international rugby eligibility (which should be Australia at the end of the weekend) and everything to do with his country of citizenship which is Fiji.

I wonder how many of the Wallabies don't have Australian passports? It's definitely quite a few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.