• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Round 3: Rays vs Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Debreczeni is looking better and better, so much time at this level, composed, can play flat, big, a running threat, neat pass and a good kick

Looks a wob of the future

It highlights the mature way to develop a young green 10, pick him, trust him, let him grow

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes Jack D just seems to have lots of time and space, plus he seems to have a fair turn of speed. Nice to see how well he has developed and Meehan is looking good at 9, which bodes well for the Rebels having two good halfbacks and a very good 10. That's the key to any successful team I think and the NRC is doing a good job of helping these players develop.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
JD's running game reminds me of Larkham. A bit of a loper, deceptive angles and lines and is actually pretty willing (sometimes too willing!) to take the line on.

A good prospect and his 50+ metre boot is a fucking ASSET when you look at the little pop-guns we've had to use in recent years.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
agree on JD, and I think his Wallaby future is pretty damn close

I'd be looking at the 2017 spring Tests or the EOYT assuming he keeps progressing. He looked excellent for the Rising last year as well before regressing a fair bit for the Rebels. When defences started getting up in his grill and his options started getting taken away he didn't have much idea about what to do. The Rebels play really broke down after five-six phases because he still doesn't know how to drive a team around the park.

Big potential, a very unusual toolset, but he's still a way off.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
JD's running game reminds me of Larkham. A bit of a loper, deceptive angles and lines and is actually pretty willing (sometimes too willing!) to take the line on.

A good prospect and his 50+ metre boot is a fucking ASSET when you look at the little pop-guns we've had to use in recent years.

It is, but it's still way too inconsistent. He'll thump one 60 metres then five minutes later shank one and it'll go 20-odd.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
JD is in the right town to receive some expert guidance and tuition on kicking an oval football.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
As soon as he starts ripping torpedoes for touch finders he should be in the national XV immediately. For too long we've been shackled by conservative, "accurate" drop punts.

Bring back the torpie and while we're at it, someone should get talking to fullbacks about the long-since outlawed front-on drop kick.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah with Quade at the 7s and Foley playing 12 months a year, he is a big chance, possibly even in November

Nah.

But only because we don't have an EOYT this year do we?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
As soon as he starts ripping torpedoes for touch finders he should be in the national XV immediately. For too long we've been shackled by conservative, "accurate" drop punts.

Bring back the torpie and while we're at it, someone should get talking to fullbacks about the long-since outlawed front-on drop kick.

That's a great video. Love the barrel. Dale Thomas is/was the worst though. I don't mind the drop punt in theory, should still easily be able to kick it 50. It's genuinely incredible how bad Australian rugby players are at kicking. How often have we seen Foley/Cooper/Giteau/Lilo/To'omua/Whoever go back and peel off a monster 25m bomb? Not even going to talk about Barnes and his checksides...

Tex

John Thornett (49)
That's a great video. Love the barrel. Dale Thomas is/was the worst though. I don't mind the drop punt in theory, should still easily be able to kick it 50. It's genuinely incredible how bad Australian rugby players are at kicking. How often have we seen Foley/Cooper/Giteau/Lilo/To'omua/Whoever go back and peel off a monster 25m bomb? Not even going to talk about Barnes and his checksides.

I was hoping to find grainy b/w 70's clips of blokes with 'taches and mutton chops roosting drop kicks 70m but youtube was being a dick. The Sherrin is a heavy ball which probably helps with the distance and accuracy.

We need more panache in rugby. More Blancos, less Amigos.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I was hoping to find grainy b/w 70's clips of blokes with 'taches and mutton chops roosting drop kicks 70m but youtube was being a dick. The Sherrin is a heavy ball which probably helps with the distance and accuracy.

We need more panache in rugby. More Blancos, less Amigos.

Oh man, I love it. Can we get onto the Rebels creative team and make that the slogan for next year? Preferably accompanied by a video of Lopeti hurting people.

Reactions: Tex

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whats impressive about Rays game against Rising is they had 1 Super 15 contract player in their game 23 versus 14 for the Rising.

Lot of quality players in Rays pushing for Baa Baa selection if not Super 15 contracts....Hill played well - think he was in Waratahs 2012 squad wasn't he.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
14 in the game 23?

I counted 8. Leafa, Jeffries, Cummins, Reid, Fugs and Colby in the forwards. Meehan, Debreczeni and Placid (who played 90 seconds) in the backs.

14 are in the full squad, but 3 (Metcher, Ah-Nau and Timani) are injured, and 3 (Jones, English & Shipperley) are off with the Barbarians.

Doesn't take away anything from the Rays performance, but don't overstate it. That was more or less the fewest Super Players I can remember in the side.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah the Rising impressed me. I thought they'd lose this given their their club players are worse than the Rays club players.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah the Rising impressed me. I thought they'd lose this given their their club players are theoretically worse than the Rays club players.

improved ? fixed ? not what you really meant ?

big Lloyd has played for Australia, Marsters for the Cook Islands, Ili trialled as an ITM player this year, the Fijian guy, Vitalati, well who knows how good he could be. as has been posted numerous times, individual players in The Dewar Shield are probably equal to many Shute Shield and Hospital Cup participants, but the overall strength of club players in Melbourne isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.