• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 3: Sydney Stars vs Perth Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
sydney-stars-rugby-logo2.png
vs
Wd16drN3_normal.jpeg

When: Saturday 5 September. Kick-off 3pm AEST
Where: Leichhardt Oval, Sydney
Match Referee: Mike Lash (NZ)
Assistant Referees: Ed Martin, Anthony Moyes

Broadcast Information: foxsports.com.au and FOX SPORTS Now

2015 Sydney Stars Form Guide: WW
2015 Perth Spirit Form Guide: LL

Last Time They Met: 28/09/14; Perth Spirit 63-21 Sydney Stars; HBF Arena, Perth

Match Notes: Two teams trending in different directions. The Sydney Stars are on a three-match winning streak - the only three games they have won in their short history. Prop Tom Robertson is the competition's leading try-scorer with three to his name.

sydney-stars-rugby-logo2.png
Sydney Stars
1. Jeremy TILSE (Waratahs/Sydney University)
2. Tom COOLICAN (Sydney University)
3. Tom ROBERTSON (Sydney University)
4. Andrew LEOTA (Southern Districts)
5. Matt PHILIP (Sydney University)
6. Rohan O'REGAN (Sydney University)
7. David HICKEY (c) (Sydney University)
8. Ofa FINAU (Balmain)
9. Jake GORDON (Sydney University)
10. Angus ROBERTS (Sydney University)
11. Harry JONES (Warringah)
12. Andrew ROBINSON (Canberra Vikings)
13. Jim STEWART (Sydney University)
14. John HALE (Balmain)
15. Tom KINGSTON (vc) (Sydney University)

16. Declan MOORE (Sydney University)
17. Alasdair KING (Sydney University)
18. Matt SANDELL (Sydney University)
19. Tipiloma KAVEINGA (Balmain)
20. Mitchell WHITELEY (Sydney University)
21. Richard DRAPER (Sydney University)
22. Jordan McGREGOR (Southern Districts)
23. Tom CARTER (Sydney University)

Wd16drN3_normal.jpeg
Perth Spirit
1. Chris HEIBERG - Perth Bayswater
2. Anaru RANGI - Nedlands
3. Oliver HOSKINS - Cottesloe
4. Riley WINTER - Wests Scarborough
5. Rory WALTON - Wests Scarborough
6. Alex ROVIRA - Associates
7. Auega SEUMANUTAFA -Kalamunda
8. Richard HARDWICK - UWA
9. Ian PRIOR (c) - Nedlands
10. Nicholas JOOSTE - Hale School
11. Daley HARPER – Kalamunda
12. Kyle GODWIN - Associates
13. Solomonia (Junior) RASOLEA - Cottesloe
14. Onehunga HAVILI - Palmyra
15. Albert NIKORO - Wests Scarborough

Reserves
16. Conan HOUKAMAU - Wests Scarborough
17. Joe SAVAGE - Palmyra
18. Jermaine AINSLEY - Nedlands
19. Adrian HALL - Cottesloe
20. Pierre ROBERTS - Wests Scarborough
21. Ryan LOUWRENS - Cottesloe
22. Maalonga KONELIO - Joondalup
23. Byron HUTCHINSON - Wanneroo

@RugbyReg says (http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nrc-2015-round-3-preview/)
On the face of it this looks a fairly straight forward game. The undefeated Stars have been mighty impressive with their two wins this season, whilst the Spirit have failed to notch a win at all. Whilst it will be a big ask for the Perth lads to get up for this game, having traipsed back and forth across the country these last couple of weeks, if they can put in a showing more like Rnd 1 than Rnd 2, then they can take this.
Their challenge though is that the Stars are still improving. Whilst they’ve proven they can score the points, they have also leaked too many to be comfortable. They’ve built their wins around an experienced pack including the likes of James Hanson (unavailable this game) and Dave Dennis, with speed out wide of Harry Jones and Tom Kingston. They met a fierce scrum in QLD Country last week, and will do so again this Saturday with the Spirit. If Perth can use this to gain ascendancy elsewhere, the game is theirs for the taking.
Key Matchups:
It really is quite ridiculous how much openside depth Australian rugby as at the moment. Perhaps it’s the George Smith effect that inspired a generation of future on-ballers. The NRC is full of them now and the matchup between David Hickey and either Kane Koteka or Richard Hardwick orChris Alcock, or all three, will be epic out at Leichhardt. Watch the flyhalf battle too when Angus Roberts, who is loving the opportunity to link his muscle up front with his speed out wide, and perhaps schoolboy Nicholas Jooste. That’s dependant on Jooste getting leave from his school to attend training, which apparently he has had some challenges with.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stars are missing these pro Stars this week according to the team on their web site:
Tolu Latu - Barbarians
Paddy Ryan - Team Rehab ?
James Hanson - Wallaby Call up
Dave Dennis - Rested/Team rehab?
Pat McCutcheon - Rested/Team rehab?

Might have to revisit my Super Bru Tips with so much of their firepower in the piggies not playing. Stars are probably more White Dwarves this week than SuperNova.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think that its a matter of great concern when after two rounds a tight head prop is the leading try scorer. :)

Does it imply poor back skills or 8 man rugby?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For the moment, Boyd Killingworth has taken over the mantle of top try scorer after getting a brace against the Rising last night.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As the Stars have not named a few of their Super Rugby Players, Tai McIsaac seems to have followed suit and has not named the following in his 23:
Brad LACEY
Heath TESSMANN
Tetera FAULKNER
Ross HAYLETT-PETTY
Chris ALCOCK
Angus COTTRELL

Both sides are back on an even footing in terms of numbers of Rock Stars..

Good to see Schoolboy Nick JOOSTE getting a run on start for the Spirit. Pity that the AAGPS round is still on, otherwise we could have seen the Stars Scots Schoolboy, Theo STRANG up against JOOSTE. I know he is a 9 and Jooste is a 10, but you know what I mean ... ... ... ...

It will be a great opportunity to see how the Up and Coming club players from Perth perform, many of whom would probably be virtually unknown to Trainspotters on the Eastern Seaboard.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Saturday afternoon at Leichardt oval. Bring a picnic for the hill!

Hugh, any idea why we are seeing these Super Rugby/contracted players dropping out? I get Chibber etc, but others not so much.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No idea about the Stars. Maybe resting minor bumps and weary bodies. I think the Tahs boys pretty much rolled into Shute Shield for The Corporation without too much time off after Super XV.

IIRC the Spirit had an interesting approach to their player roster last season as well. They seemed to pick their better teams for home games which they must have been targeting too win more than their away games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
IIRC the Spirit had an interesting approach to their player roster last season as well. They seemed to pick their better teams for home games which they must have been targeting too win more than their away games.

That was mostly travel related. They wanted to limit the travel for players who had played Super Rugby and spent excessive amounts of time in aeroplanes already during the year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Keep an eye out for Nick Jooste, the schoolboy starting flyhalf for the Spirit. Pity the Stars didn't get the memo to play their schoolboy too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Saw both at Schoolboy Nationals this year.

I was surprised that Jooste missed the first cut at making the Schoolboys/Schoolboys Barbarians team. I thought he stood out and was very composed playing for the WA Schools team that was soundly beaten by their opponents. I would have loved to see him operate behind the NSW I or QLD I packs. Different selectors see different things, and he has obviously caught the eye of the Chief Trainspotter in Perth.

Jooste has subsequently been called up from Shadow Squad into Aust Schoolboy Barbarians.

It's the last round of the 2015 AAGPS competition in Sydney this weekend. It will snow in Singapore before any AAGPS School player chooses to voluntarily miss their last Schoolboy 1st XV game. That is before there is any subtle influence from the School applied to assist the player with their decision making.

AFAIK the Perth Schools competition finished some time ago, so there are no conflicting priorities for Jooste.

The kid can kick.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was at the game.......Stars backline passing game majority of time was sublime.....Hill and Stewart combined well in particular...while Hill pulled of a cracker of tackle in defence...like the fact Hill got also good boot on him as his kicking game was equally good.

But the try of the match was Joost's try - wow what a try and turn of pace that guy has - ....definitely one to watch for the future....Kyle Goodwin also had strong game for Perth Spirit...he was handful in attack and strong in defence...

Most enjoyable game of rugby so far for NRC comp for me....as at times saw some really silky skills that was pure poetry in motion...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That's a bit harsh! (The Spirit being dreadful)

Just back from a great day on the hill at Leichardt Oval. Plenty of dads with leave pass (early Fathers Day?) giving mum a break by letting the kids loose on the hill.

Really vibrant atmosphere. Oh, I enjoyed the rugby too. Thought Spirit did (comparatively) really well in the rucks which came close to unravelling the Stars. Out wide Spirit looked to be attacking the out centre slot with some success.

Stars kicking game started woefully and let Spirit dominate possession in stages.

ref was yellow card crazy. At least two cards I thought unnecessary. Thought the Stars scrum was solid. And I rate the Stars line out. Who runs their set piece training? It's OK.

Ultimately I suspect that Spirit are a better team but fitness not matching the Stars. Could be wrong, but it felt that way to me.

Can't pick a MOTM be probably one of the Star locks.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So for someone who has watched all Stars last season games....and all home games...and 2/3 at the game live...and one on telly....the structure and plays were best of the season and that was without lot of their big name players for this game...

Coaching setup must be very good at stars rugby - playford and dan parks and others must be doing some very good coaching during the week as for a lot of the time (yes was a few sloppy defensive moments and dropped balls but on the min than max...) the skills were best I have seen from the stars and that was with not with their best 23....

Impressive......well done to Stars coaches ( as well as the players) as with so many big names missing this had a lot of quality to Stars structure and quality of plays put into motion

I think Stars have rugby quality now right - just need to sort out business model and politics as prefer to see partnership with Easts and Randwick and all concerned grow up and realise working together best for Australian Rugby....

Reactions: dru

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Querty, interested to know if you thought Tom Carter was up to NRC standard. I thought he was pretty good. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So for someone who has watched all Stars last season games..and all home games.and 2/3 at the game live.and one on telly..the structure and plays were best of the season and that was without lot of their big name players for this game.

Coaching setup must be very good at stars rugby - playford and dan parks and others must be doing some very good coaching during the week as for a lot of the time (yes was a few sloppy defensive moments and dropped balls but on the min than max.) the skills were best I have seen from the stars and that was with not with their best 23..

Impressive..well done to Stars coaches ( as well as the players) as with so many big names missing this had a lot of quality to Stars structure and quality of plays put into motion

I think Stars have rugby quality now right - just need to sort out business model and politics as prefer to see partnership with Easts and Randwick and all concerned grow up and realise working together best for Australian Rugby..

Who is the coach-style bloke on the side line? His impact on the game and the play is awesome, particularly to the backs. If I was still playing rugby, this is the bloke I want in my ear picking up where I am getting it wrong.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Missed the stream, was working. There was a bit of hullabaloo on Twitter about the amount of cards dished out. How many in the end were given?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Does Parks not run the water for the Stars? Seemed to be doing so against Country. That might be the man on the touchline feeding instructions.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
assuming this is same Dan Parks who played for Scotland in the last decade.

he and Playford seem to be getting the best out of the Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.