• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
BBC need to get their act together with their 1st XV team's culture. This obviously didn't have an impact on the outcome of the game, but for a team to be giving the ball to second rowers and props off the bench to take conversions even before half time makes a mockery of the GPS 1st XV competition. Having players miss kicks from in front in order to get a laugh from the crowd is not what this competition is about. I found the attitude deeply insulting and something which I hope is not repeated again, especially from a team with such talent among its players.

I don't know about that; mate sent me a video of the BBC 1stxv entering the field for their last match. All the injured grade 12 boys who could not play , in full uniform,lead the team through the tunnel onto the field behind bagpipes.
That is not only a good culture; it is actually real class.
Things are changing out Toowong way and as WW said they have some real talent in under 13 and 14 .
As per usual , in this crazy ,Australian schools rugby calendar - it looks like with all the injuries, that the Australian Schools team will have a lot of new faces not named originally.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not sure I totally agree, GT where clearly below their best and lacked the intensity at the ruck they showed the week before, a bit of a case of played their 'GF' the week before I suspect.

I think a few in the team expected it to happen rather than set out to made it happen.

NC is a good side that has under-performed IMO that played closer to their potential yesterday and nearly got the result. They certainly out enthused GT

As I have said before this GT team is a hard team to get the better of, and NC despite having all the luck and catching GT on down day couldn't quite get the marbles.

The intensity was there, I think just honestly some of the GT pack were found out.

I dare any team in the 14s to withstand that onslaught from NC and keep them to just two try's, both from their exceptionally strong and fast 13. They may have lacked a bit of structure at the ruck, but unforced errors, key injuries, and a one-sided penalty count all couldn't bring them undone.

Whatsthefuss

Bob McCowan (2)
The intensity was there, I think just honestly some of the GT pack were found out.

I dare any team in the 14s to withstand that onslaught from NC and keep them to just two try's, both from their exceptionally strong and fast 13. They may have lacked a bit of structure at the ruck, but unforced errors, key injuries, and a one-sided penalty count all couldn't bring them undone.

Dark Side - i take your dare - BBC ( link below) withheld a very spirited Nudgee XV onslaught, and held them to 2 tries. It is great to see the competition developing in this age group, and the quality of rugby with it. The boys are learning that no matter who they play, they cant just turn up, and that injuries and referees and the rest are all part of the game in front of them that they need to be on their game every week.

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
Congratulations to Churchie for the second year in a row. Whatever team culture was built by Jason Gilmore last year has definitely stuck around with this year's team, however I think a lot comes down to what was built in the younger age groups too. 10, 12, 13, 15 may have only joined the school in year 10/11, but the other 11 members of the team have all been there since at least grade 8, with a few starting even in grade 1 if I'm correct. Churchie coaches have made the most of their strike weapons, resulting in a fantastic year. Contrast this to the Churchie team of 2012, who many picked to stand head and shoulders above the rest based on their individual talent (Ioane, Oppenheimer, Eason, Quigley), only to have a lacklustre season. Like many have said before, individual players mean nothing if the team doesn't gel together.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Like many have said before, individual players mean nothing if the team doesn't gel together

So true--aint that right you Toowong boys?

Mitch

Frank Row (1)
Congratulations to BBC today for beating grammar. As a school you should be truly proud of yourselves for finding the best players in the world and putting them against a group of Schoolboys. Sarcasm intended. The lack of moral compass posesed by the GPS has never been more clear. In fact there was another impressive victory for BBC in the seconds, well done to Chris Veravis as well as his former firsts team-mates who really cemented their spot in the seconds today with a dominant performance, it's really good to see that BBC now has imported enough players to fill two teams in each grade with a Queensland representative in the seconds. To the BBC coaches you guys are truly genius' who would have thought that if you invest enough money you can put a squad of wallabies against a group of kids trying to make the most of their time in high school and get a win. But alas perhaps I'm being overly critical of BBC as they're the latest targets of my building frustrations, perhaps the problem is with the entire GPS. In fact there is no doubt that this competition is now well beyond repair, academics seem to have taken second priority behind finding the biggest boys in the southern hemisphere to build the strongest team. It's quite miraculous that a grammar team which lost just 2 games in grade 9 in 2012 have turned into a firsts team that could manage just one win? Seems a bit off to me. The conscience of the Churchie, Nudgee, TSS and BBC coaches should rest easy knowing that they managed to beat a grammar team made of home grown kids who actually pay school fees, well done to them, it must take a hell of a lot of coaching talent to guide those men to a win over kids 10 years younger than them. Furthermore, to you, green and gold writers, for shame, I see you write week in week out that grammar just lacks the skill to win the game, it should be a close victory to the opposition, how about you face up and confront the problem that is the rabid importing throughout our competition. Warren Wobble especially, it's easy to laugh at grammar isn’t it when they're losing every week, but I bet you wouldn’t feel the same way if your son was facing up against 120kg monsters every week. Now I hear you saying, but how would we discover these players, future wallabies surely, if we don’t let them into elite schools and this is the personification of the elitist attitude that keeps our game from reaching its fullest popularity potential in this country. For christ's sake let them make their way through the club system, the fact that they depend on being chosen in the GPS teams, or the fact that GPS selection occurs at all is evidence of the fact that the whole system is rooted to begin with. All of these elite schools encourage this system so they can use rugby to say how great they are. Where is the satisfaction in buying yourself a premiership and thumping teams consisting of players who actually properly attend the school and know their own school song. For these boys it's a matter of self identity to stand arm in arm with your mates and have a crack, for these imports it's a matter of getting a big hit on a kid half your size after attending school for 2 weeks and being put in the firsts. I was speaking to a current year twelve student that once attended BBC just a year and a half ago who admitted that he didn't know the names of twelve of the starting fifteen BBC players, goes to show just how far $40Million can get you. BGS a non selective school that doesn't give academic scholarships proves each year with 40-50 OP 1's that success should be bred not bought. Even the school down the road terrace upheld some of the real values of this system until recently but even they have bowed to the pressure of importing. I implore you green and gold subscribers, don’t put up with the disrepute into which this competition has fallen, it is the acceptance of people like you and me of a system which encourages importing that has led to this problem in the first place. There is no need to spend the majority of a school's yearly income on overseas rugby players, let us return to the way things should be, mates standing arm in arm, having a dead set crack in a high intensity competition where every game is a chance for an upset or a hard fought victory.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
As Warren said you are clearly ignoring the fact that Grammar bought a premiership 3 years ago - but also that Grammar have always been pretty terrible at rugby, even before scholarships. A quick glance at the history books will tell you that Nudgee/Churchie combined make up about half of GPS rugby premierships and its always been that way.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Congratulations to BBC today for beating grammar. As a school you should be truly proud of yourselves for finding the best players in the world and putting them against a group of Schoolboys. Sarcasm intended. The lack of moral compass posesed by the GPS has never been more clear. In fact there was another impressive victory for BBC in the seconds, well done to Chris Veravis as well as his former firsts team-mates who really cemented their spot in the seconds today with a dominant performance, it's really good to see that BBC now has imported enough players to fill two teams in each grade with a Queensland representative in the seconds. To the BBC coaches you guys are truly genius' who would have thought that if you invest enough money you can put a squad of wallabies against a group of kids trying to make the most of their time in high school and get a win. But alas perhaps I'm being overly critical of BBC as they're the latest targets of my building frustrations, perhaps the problem is with the entire GPS. In fact there is no doubt that this competition is now well beyond repair, academics seem to have taken second priority behind finding the biggest boys in the southern hemisphere to build the strongest team. It's quite miraculous that a grammar team which lost just 2 games in grade 9 in 2012 have turned into a firsts team that could manage just one win? Seems a bit off to me. The conscience of the Churchie, Nudgee, TSS and BBC coaches should rest easy knowing that they managed to beat a grammar team made of home grown kids who actually pay school fees, well done to them, it must take a hell of a lot of coaching talent to guide those men to a win over kids 10 years younger than them. Furthermore, to you, green and gold writers, for shame, I see you write week in week out that grammar just lacks the skill to win the game, it should be a close victory to the opposition, how about you face up and confront the problem that is the rabid importing throughout our competition. Warren Wobble especially, it's easy to laugh at grammar isn’t it when they're losing every week, but I bet you wouldn’t feel the same way if your son was facing up against 120kg monsters every week. Now I hear you saying, but how would we discover these players, future wallabies surely, if we don’t let them into elite schools and this is the personification of the elitist attitude that keeps our game from reaching its fullest popularity potential in this country. For christ's sake let them make their way through the club system, the fact that they depend on being chosen in the GPS teams, or the fact that GPS selection occurs at all is evidence of the fact that the whole system is rooted to begin with. All of these elite schools encourage this system so they can use rugby to say how great they are. Where is the satisfaction in buying yourself a premiership and thumping teams consisting of players who actually properly attend the school and know their own school song. For these boys it's a matter of self identity to stand arm in arm with your mates and have a crack, for these imports it's a matter of getting a big hit on a kid half your size after attending school for 2 weeks and being put in the firsts. I was speaking to a current year twelve student that once attended BBC just a year and a half ago who admitted that he didn't know the names of twelve of the starting fifteen BBC players, goes to show just how far $40Million can get you. BGS a non selective school that doesn't give academic scholarships proves each year with 40-50 OP 1's that success should be bred not bought. Even the school down the road terrace upheld some of the real values of this system until recently but even they have bowed to the pressure of importing. I implore you green and gold subscribers, don’t put up with the disrepute into which this competition has fallen, it is the acceptance of people like you and me of a system which encourages importing that has led to this problem in the first place. There is no need to spend the majority of a school's yearly income on overseas rugby players, let us return to the way things should be, mates standing arm in arm, having a dead set crack in a high intensity competition where every game is a chance for an upset or a hard fought victory.

If you ask any person at BGS or BBC -they will tell you who Mitch is.

another parent living through the child.
PS -BGS play ACGS next week - and ACGS beat BBC.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
As Warren said you are clearly ignoring the fact that Grammar bought a premiership 3 years ago - but also that Grammar have always been pretty terrible at rugby, even before scholarships. A quick glance at the history books will tell you that Nudgee/Churchie combined make up about half of GPS rugby premierships and its always been that way.

I think you will find that Grammar have historically been quite strong on the rugby paddock with many Aus schoolboys and wallabies. Not quite so in recent times except what you allude to above. But as Mitch points out above do we want to be like the American system where athletes sometimes don't even attend classes. Best recruiter wins. No rugby nursery in that

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
My Dear Mitch
There is another site for scholarships.
But if you go to the GPS swimming site you will see:
1)_ BGS were the big improvers this year "leaping " to 2nd;
2_the "new " boys in grade 10 & 11 did very very well (new as in on scholarships).How do I know this .Those boys told my son-who is a swimmer.

Michalak

Bob McCowan (2)
What I do see as a problem is when schools decide to bring in 10-15 players in their senior years to essentially 'buy a premiership'. This is proven to not be an effective method. In this situation, I think it is fair to single out BBC. I would bet that the majority of their team that ran out for the 1st XV in round 1 was began at the school during their senior years (Year 10 and beyond). They have had limited success over the past few seasons when they decided to join the arms race.

I don't see the issue with schools bringing in a few players in Year 11 to attempt to bolster their 1st XV- I would not consider this buying a premiership. If you look at recent premiership winners, a significant number of their teams would have began at the school in Year 8 or earlier.

BGS 2012 bolstered their teams with the addition of Cornelsen, Birch, Blackhurst and Morrey- the rest (to the best of my knowledge began at the school in Year 8 or earlier, with the exception of Greene leaving Churchie in Year 9).
NC 2013 brought in current First XV players Reece Hewat and Gavin Luka, as well as a couple of other names whose names pass me. The core of their side (Tuttle, Jones, Magnay, Mafi- all playing Qld Country NRC) began at the school in Year 8.
Churchie 2014 brought in stars Ponga, Mason, Sua, Asiata, Croft; but the guys like Kuchel, Wallis, Gimple, Nucifora, Scott-Young and many others had been at the school since Year 8.
Churchie 2015- almost all of their players have been at the school since Year 8 with the exception of Croft, Sua, Mason and Staghorn. The entire forward pack has been at the school the entire time.

I think what this proves is that having some sense of team culture which has been engraved in the team since 13As or earlier is so important for GPS Rugby, and schools shouldn't be getting caught up in the arms race so intensely.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Dark Side - i take your dare - BBC ( link below) withheld a very spirited Nudgee XV onslaught, and held them to 2 tries. It is great to see the competition developing in this age group, and the quality of rugby with it. The boys are learning that no matter who they play, they cant just turn up, and that injuries and referees and the rest are all part of the game in front of them that they need to be on their game every week.
Grandfinal game in the under 14A's this weekend. If BSHS 14A's beat GT they share the title with BBC. If they lose to GT 14A's then BBC takes it outright. From looking at the table I think that is how it works out. Correct me if I am wrong.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Grandfinal game in the under 14A's this weekend. If BSHS 14A's beat GT they share the title with BBC. If they lose to GT 14A's then BBC takes it outright. From looking at the table I think that is how it works out. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong if GT win they take it outright with no losses and a draw

BAG

Status
Not open for further replies.