• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Going off hints by training photos, it doesn't look like Skelton is in the starting #1 team. Pocock is @ #8.

B

Bazarov

Going off hints by training photos, it doesn't look like Skelton is in the starting #1 team. Pocock is @ #8.
interesting.

then again what happens after Uruguay/Fiji duo into the big 2 crunch games is, possibly, still open for change.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
For anyone wondering how Mitchell and Gits have been going at Toulon- here's a highlight reel posted by the club's twitter.

Mitchell seems to have lost a bit of pace, but gained strength. I'd expect both to be in the A XV, especially after Speight, Horne & Tomane's lackluster showing against the yanks.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think the Wallabies should really attack the English midfield especially if Burgess is @12 and Joseph @13, Burgess will hit you hard if he gets to you, but he is still new to the game so should not be hard to isolate him in defence and Joseph can be abit turnstile in defence every now and then, if TK is firing on all cylinders Im betting on him having a field day against JJ.

However we need to be sharp in defence as JJ, Ant Watson and Johnny May are all very elusive runners and you can't give them too much space or they will run around you all night.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The problem with that sentiment is that it's actually true that the ABs were interfering with Phipps at the breakdown. And the Wobs did fail to adjust to the Eagles' breakdown strategy, resulting in the Eagles having more defenders that attackers in the line, allowing them to play an unimpeded rush defence in the first half of the game.

Neither did Phipps have a "shocker". One bad boxkick was the worst of it. He was just ordinary. You can't blame Phipps for Foley and Giteau being continuously sacked deep in the pocket.

None of which alters the fact that Genia was better than Phipps when he came on. Although he managed the obligatory bad boxkick as well.

If we wanted shit boxkicks then we should've picked Nick White.

@Groucho, I actually think Nick Phipps had a few more shockers against USA than his one poor box kick (which in reality was two poor efforts in itself - a box kick which should be eliminated from the Wallabies' play list, and it went out on the full from outside the 22m). A number of his passes were also badly directed (again) especially aimed above head height for the receiver, and he was beaten to the ball at the back of one particular ruck leading to a turnover and was quite slow to release the ball on other occasions which then did contribute to his outside supports being under extra pressure from the defense.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
For anyone wondering how Mitchell and Gits have been going at Toulon- here's a highlight reel posted by the club's twitter.

Mitchell seems to have lost a bit of pace, but gained strength. I'd expect both to be in the A XV, especially after Speight, Horne & Tomane's lackluster showing against the yanks.

I'm just pleased to see them stick it to all the foreign trolls who said they wouldn't make the Toulon bench.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
@Groucho, I actually think Nick Phipps had a few more shockers against USA than his one poor box kick (which in reality was two poor efforts in itself - a box kick which should be eliminated from the Wallabies' play list, and it went out on the full from outside the 22m). A number of his passes were also badly directed (again) especially aimed above head height for the receiver, and he was beaten to the ball at the back of one particular ruck leading to a turnover and was quite slow to release the ball on other occasions which then did contribute to his outside supports being under extra pressure from the defense.

You're being hyperbolic if you call that a shocker. What do you call actual shockers, where players make major mistakes, and let in tries by bad defence, or bomb them with the line wide open? Supershockers?

Phipps is always going to spray the ball, like Genia is always going to take two steps and White is going to boxkick turnover ball away. The only halfback we have without obvious faults (apart from his inexperience) is Stirzaker.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You're being hyperbolic if you call that a shocker. What do you call actual shockers, where players make major mistakes, and let in tries by bad defence, or bomb them with the line wide open? Supershockers?

Phipps is always going to spray the ball, like Genia is always going to take two steps and White is going to boxkick turnover ball away. Phipps is particularly susceptible to interference because he goes into the ruck to pass quickly. It's a tradeoff. The only halfback we have without obvious faults is Stirzaker.

Nah - there are a few halfbacks who haven't been selected for the Wallabies out there still.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Who are you thinking of?

Stirzaker will be the starting Wobs halfback sooner rather than later.

My comment was a facetious one, intending to say that any half back not yet in the Wallabies is without obvious faults. I agree, Stirzaker will likely be in and around the Wallabies from next year.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
My comment was a facetious one, intending to say that any half back not yet in the Wallabies is without obvious faults. I agree, Stirzaker will likely be in and around the Wallabies from next year.
BR please don't use big words like Facetious this early in on Saturday morning. But Yes Stirzaker has a good chance to be the half next year, I think he was really unlucky not to get a run this year, he was great this super rugby season.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For many past wallaby 9/10 combinations we have never worried about having them from same super rugby side but now we seem obsesses by it and I personally don't get it as they play enough which each other at training to pair up with different super rugby side players..

Hope we see Genia and Foley hence in the A team.....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Seen lot of players come back from overseas to not be the players they were...pleasing to see the opposite with Mumm as he is definitely a better player than before he left our shores..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Mitchell was never really quick, he is a whole runner

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Having said that, there are some good young halfbacks in the production line. Bit of a time gap to Stirzaker though, who has the benefit of three quite tough years at the Rebs.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It's interesting that on both the GAGR postings and the media in general, that no one can really say with any confidence who the 1st XV will be V Fiji.
I'm really wondering if that might be because the coaching staff also haven't finalised the team.o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.