• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGA

Bob McCowan (2)
1st XV Stats
School, Points for, Points against, Point difference, Overall points.
ACGS 261 150 111 14
NC 252 166 86 12
TSS 293 160 133 10
BBC 251 175 76 10
TGS 243 197 46 10
BSHS 178 213 -35 8
GT 201 227 -26 6
BGS 130 361 -231 2
IGS 168 185 -17 0

IGS 168 285* -117* 0

Losing 8 games by a total margin of 17 would have been a pretty unlucky season for Ippy aha.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I was about to say! Imagine coming last with the competitions tightest defensive record. Toowoomba are highly deserving of that title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Unlike the NSW GPS -that continues to be a 2 horse race it makes it a great comp where;
TGS can defeat ACGS;
Gt can defeat TGS
BSHS can defeat NC.

so you have to be up for every game.

Here here, and without substantial luck in terms of injuries and personnel it's almost impossible to get up every week to be on top of your game. Which is what I really think happened this year. We forget sometimes how much stress physically and emotionally is packed into this 9 week premiership. In some ways it's a final every week.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
I agree with a close comp its more appealing..... the age groups are very close and shared between schools...Some on the way down and some on the way up ...

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
Here here, and without substantial luck in terms of injuries and personnel it's almost impossible to get up every week to be on top of your game. Which is what I really think happened this year. We forget sometimes how much stress physically and emotionally is packed into this 9 week premiership. In some ways it's a final every week.
With the end of the comp now completed, who do we think will be the award winners for each team. Best and Fairest, Players Player etc

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
With the end of the comp now completed, who do we think will be the award winners for each team. Best and Fairest, Players Player etc

I saw all matches NC were involved in and watched the tapes of BBC,TSS and most TGS.

My view is the best player in comp(consistantly) was Croft . In the top 5 was Sua.
Neither will play against NZ schools however:(
Others like Ngamanu,Riley,Robertson and Luka were inconsistant-but on occasions brilliant.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Many people recruit from Northern NSW, not just TSS. NC has had the Gibbon brothers (2010-11-12-13 First XV), Frankie Caluguy (2013) and Tom Zappala (2013-2014) & Conor Young (I think). Ipswich Grammar also recruit heavily from the Northern Rivers.

And yes mostly they are recruited in Grade 10 and some are not on scholarships either, they choose to go there.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I saw all matches NC were involved in and watched the tapes of BBC,TSS and most TGS.

My view is the best player in comp(consistantly) was Croft . In the top 5 was Sua.
Neither will play against NZ schools however:(
Others like Ngamanu,Riley,Robertson and Luka were inconsistant-but on occasions brilliant.

Blue & white, Yesterday at 2:11 PM Report

Well ofc we won't see Croft and Sua, they are RL players, and whilst their performances in Qld GPS is very good they didn't participate in the Australian Rugby Schoolboy trails (not that that is the sole criteria). So no need to cry about it B&W :). They have there careers set in league and good for them.

My top five would be (in no particular order) Croft, Hewat, TGS #1, BBC #7 & Ngamanu.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Agreed.

NC are fairly consistent across all age groups still - although no U13/U14 top 3s. TSS definitely leave it to the older age groups and have done that across a number sports for a decade or 2.

BSHS/IGS/BBC leading the charge down in the younger age groups.
warrenwobble, Monday at 12:31 PM Report

One thing that is an eye opener for me in this forum is the amount of talk of the younger age groups 13 & 14 in particular. I understand this is a GPS forum, however about a good third or more of the conversation is about them. I think it's great to see these young kids develop, but there is a long way for these kids to go before they are in the 1st XV.

And making comparisons with a school's rugby program with what's happening with 13 & 14 years olds (or 11 & 12 for that matter) is a particularly long bow to draw. You just have to look at the changes to team members from 14, 15 & 16 to realise what happens in 13's & 14's may not have as much impact on the results of the first XV as some may think. There are fairly comprehensive results for the first XV but very little (historical) results for 13 & 14 year divisions. Reason: maybe the first XV are the most important result over time? Maybe due to professionalism this may change.

Also I think this years schoolboys (even with the substantial injuries list) will probably be the most competitive for a while. Just looking at the last 2 years team & results, I think this years Australian & Barbarian schoolboys teams have the best chance of knocking off the "old enemy" (the kiwi's). I will certainly be going to watch with interest.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Sage,
it is a "GPS" forum not "First XV" forum so I'm not sure why you are so surprised.
Part of the interest is watching skills and players develop as they move through the GPS system.
I reckon we are in for a tough time against the Kiwis in the schoolboys.
One of the best players in the country, Tom Wright (already signed by Manly) is out injured. With him we were a big chance, as I haven't seen a better game manager at that age ever.
I hope I'm wrong though and we smash them...
Agree on your assessment of the best players in the GPS comp too BTW.
Here's to throwing some Kiwis on the barbie at Ballymore in a few weeks.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I understand the forum WW probably more surprised that there were not as many contributors for the Firsts and particularly very little for the 16's. Just trying to get some proportion to it.

Maybe we will have a tough time and I saw Tom Wright, whom I think is a good footballer, but it takes more than one to win (better if we had him ofc). Just think there is better balance in the team than last year, particularly in the forwards.

RL strikes again! Good luck to them (they need it as well for the Kiwi talent!). So maybe Wright being injured is probably ok as his career will probably be in RL (don't want to get our hopes up!).

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
One thing that is an eye opener for me in this forum is the amount of talk of the younger age groups 13 & 14 in particular. I understand this is a GPS forum, however about a good third or more of the conversation is about them. I think it's great to see these young kids develop, but there is a long way for these kids to go before they are in the 1st XV.

Given that the 15s is constantly interrupted by things like immersion, and the 16s act like a reserve grade for the firsts, the 15A and 16A competitions don't carry much weight. This is probably why you hear more about 13s and 14s (and some 11s and 12s now that they play the GPS schools). You would hear about the 15s and 16s otherwise.

School's are also pushing a more "whole of school" approach. Churchie and Terrace both introduced this approach this year, and of course you had the the whole of school trophy between Nudgee and Terrace for the first time.

You also have a large state program in the lower age groups as well, which makes a lot of folks interested in the junoir programs.

On the last point however, really playing well in a first XV starts as young as the 14s. You need to develop a lot of skills, and slowly build to a good level of fitness and strength from a young age to excell now. So the journey really starts in grade 9 for anyone aspiring to be a force in the firsts.

Take the 13 for GT's 14As... He is in grade 8, but his age pushes him up to the 14s. When he is in grade 10, he will be playing firsts giving him potentially three years. In two years time look for him on the wing, and then at 13, he is going to be a match winner and his journey started this year in the 14s.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Agree with the whole of school approach and the fun that the kids have in learning rugby as a life skill.

Totally disagree that the 15A and 16 A don't carry much weight......that IMO is garbage. Just more people on here interested in the 13 & 14's, which is fine, just surprising.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Totally disagree that the 15A and 16 A don't carry much weight..that IMO is garbage. Just more people on here interested in the 13 & 14's, which is fine, just surprising.

I am with Darkside on this - GT's u15s will never be competitive across the season due to the very intensive immersion program they undertake - they don't play NC at all and at least 2 more games are significantly effected by boys being away all week (sometimes overseas).

They were completely exhausted before they even took the field V BSHS for the last game - U15 rugby takes a back seat at GT and all supporters know it.

You just need to look at the crowds for the 13s and 14s at Tennyson the U15's are lucky to get their parents watching.

Too many 16's missing and playing in Opens to keep my interest, I watch the odd game but spend most of my time at the 12-14 A'a and Bs and then off to the firsts.

Equally it is not all about judging how strong of a XV we will get in 2018 some of us just enjoy the game and watching kids play and improve. A bit of school rivalry and friendly banter thrown in adds to the experience IMO.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
So your interested more in the 13 & 14's BraveandGame. Good for you.

Still think the u15's & 16's still hold more weight to a schools program, as do the firsts. And that's my opinion.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
1st XV Stats
School, Points for, Points against, Point difference, Overall points.
ACGS 261 150 111 14
NC 252 166 86 12
TSS 293 160 133 10
BBC 251 175 76 10
TGS 243 197 46 10
BSHS 178 213 -35 8
GT 201 227 -26 6
BGS 130 361 -231 2
IGS 168 185 -17 0

One could well argue from these numbers that it was ACGS' excellence in defence that was a very significant factor in them winning the comp and outright.

Status
Not open for further replies.