• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's really tough to predict isn't it? 6am is a reasonable time and it's a huge game, but since it shares the weekend with the AFL and NRL grand finals it'll struggle to get much coverage. You'll probably end up with a situation where a million people watch it in New Zealand and 400,000 odd in Australia.

6am on a Sunday morning (that feels like 5am due to daylight saving changeover) is still a time for mostly die hard fans. It's obviously a more conducive time to attract an audience than the middle of the night but still not great.

Essentially it will be people who change their routine to watch the game as opposed to it being at a time when lots of people will be watching TV and it's attractive for sports fans.

I think 400k or so sounds about accurate.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't think the ratings for this weekend matter that much. Our victories in the quarters, semis and final will ensure the ratings will be substantial :)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
@MediaweekAUS: Sun TV #RWC2015 #ENG #AUS #GEM
#ENGvAUS 187k http://t.co/jeoE0St6wP

Still awaiting fox for yesterday.

Various other games wc games on fox in the small hours are doing around 30k per game.

Looks as though the AFL Gf will probably pip the NRL with both doing around 3.5m

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Only 187k on FTA?

As Henry V said
"And people in 'Straya who were-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not watching live,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That watched it live with us upon this glorious day."

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't think the ratings for this weekend matter that much. Our victories in the quarters, semis and final will ensure the ratings will be substantial :)

In the early hours of the morning? You are an optimist, aren't you?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Funnier things have happened @Wamberal.

Previous Diveball World Cup's have had fairly impressive viewing figures even though they have been in the middle of the night, or wee small hours.

That has been helped by the games being rather heavily promoted, and being shown live on FTA by a station that has no vested interest in other sporting codes.

RWC2015 coverage in Australia only enjoys one of those characteristics, and there has been a degree of general media disinterest due to some sort of commercial disagreement over accreditation or something.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Funnier things have happened @Wamberal.

Previous Diveball World Cup's have had fairly impressive viewing figures even though they have been in the middle of the night, or wee small hours.
Having a look at that 187k (which will probably get close to 400k all up with Fox numbers, it's almost exactly what the England v Uraguay football game played at 5am rated, posted earlier

The Australia pool games for the last World Cup are really putting the relative popularity of the sport's national teams into a bit of perspective though.

8am Chile v Australia 2,276k
2am Netherlands v Australia 769k
2am Spain v Australia 515k

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One minor positive is that there were more people in the Light Brigade Hotel in Paddington yesterday morning than there were for the Australia v Chile game at the FIFA World Cup last year.

That said, you'd hope so as the eastern suburbs are obviously one of the best areas for supporting rugby.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Same with the northern beaches plenty of pubs and clubs showing the game with good crowds. I hear the Ivanhoe was chockers

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Just on the Soccer I think in many ways they are in a similar position to us aside from SBS [and who watches SBS] they don't enjoy great media nor support from the commercial stations.

I often feel we should almost join forces as the international games against the AFL and NRL. But boofheads on both sides would more than likely kill this off.

The key difference is soccer has set a course to develop a national competition and is doing everything it can to get the A-League on to a commercial FTA station. Whereas we are caught in a SANDZAR revenue trap with our FTA matches on 7 being Shute Shield matches. God love me for the sake of Mary we actually have a FTA presence and have had on the ABC for maybe 40 years and yet we showcase our amateur game in small suburban grounds with often only hundreds of people at the ground.

With Japan going well in the WC and having the next WC I can see revenue from Japan for SANDZAR . How this helps our us build a local presence against the media games i.e. AFL and NRL add a nagging through that Soccer is doing everything it can to join them.

OK OK I get off my hobby horse but those ratings of 187 K and against England in a WC match does not fill me with hope.

Happy

Dave Cowper (27)
The key difference is soccer has set a course to develop a national competition and is doing everything it can to get the A-League on to a commercial FTA station.

For the upcoming season SBS has booted the A League off their main channel and onto SBS2, which is the lowest rating FTA channel in Australia. It is a very big loss for the A League.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
With Japan going well in the WC and having the next WC I can see revenue from Japan for SANDZAR . How this helps our us build a local presence against the media games i.e. AFL and NRL add a nagging through that Soccer is doing everything it can to join them.

If SANZAR really does succeed in tapping into the global growth of rugby in the likes of Asia and the Americas then our share of that revenue would filter through to our game locally. Better investment in the grassroots for one, but I think more importantly player salaries would go up quite a lot and the number of professional opportunities would increase substantially. That would make rugby a lot more competitive with the NRL at attracting talent. And particularly the top talent.

If in 10 years the best rugby players in the world are making 3,4,5 times as much money as the best rugby league players in the world then you would see basically all the stars of league switching codes. And fans are inevitably more interested in watching the best players.

For Australian rugby though, we really need Super Rugby expansion to work, otherwise all those top players will be playing for teams in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.