• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

It's been the same with league converts here at the start of their tenure, with opinions varying dramatically depending on whether they play for your provincial team or not. I imagine some Bath fans think Burgess is the best thing since sliced bread. The rest of the England rugby watching public think he's toast.

Don't you need sliced break to make toast?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Thanks for the info. When I looked at it at 0.25 speed on Youtube, I saw a few frames that I didn't see before. Unfortunately, you're 100% correct. He was leading with the knee higher than before.

If he's been doing this so often(that beastmode video for example), how is he still playing rugby? I'd have thought in England of all places, they'd have no tolerance for someone doing it that much.
Fuck no, the English league is a complete joke shop when it comes to discipline, it is the dirtiest rugby on the planet, by miles.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
It's been the same with league converts here at the start of their tenure, with opinions varying dramatically depending on whether they play for your provincial team or not. I imagine some Bath fans think Burgess is the best thing since sliced bread. The rest of the England rugby watching public think he's toast.
I live 25 miles from Bath and I have yet to meet a single Bath supporter who thinks Burgess should have been anywhere near the England squad, especially as a centre when he has spent most of the season playing in the back row.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
That's is not a rubbish call,it's a fucking outrage.
How is that 5 weeks & Burgess with a good old swinging arm to the head of a player without the ball is play on?
I can see this whole tournament being decided by a ridiculous call from an over officious twit.
So frustrating!

So I'm not alone in being completely confused by this call. Was saying in another thread there must be another angle we haven't seen where it clearly shows Tuilagi throwing a knee into the tackler's upper torso, because it sure doesn't look like it from that angle.

Or maybe not. Maybe this is just one of those instances where had the winger been from a larger union it wouldn't have been reviewed.

EDIT: Just watched the footage back at 1/4 speed, and on the reverse angle it really looks like he goes out of his way to lift his knee into the tackle. Can see why there's a question to be answered here.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah,I'm certain if he was an English player it's not an issue.
I thought the Burgess shot was worse than both this,and the Hooper one.
To my eye,consistency is not evident at all.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Was not Farrell's shoulder hit on Giteau similar? I'm not saying Hooper didn't deserve a suspension, just why not Farrell?
I hear this argument a lot but I don't think it holds water. Just because another case wasn't reported or a player wasn't charged has absolutely nothing to do with the case for a similar incident.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I feel a bit sorry for Burgess. I'm sure he didn't want any of this attention and certainly didn't ask for to be picked in two different positions by club and country. Realistically he should have had another season in the Premiership before even being looked at by the national selectors. It's not like England lack talented midfield backs.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I hear this argument a lot but I don't think it holds water. Just because another case wasn't reported or a player wasn't charged has absolutely nothing to do with the case for a similar incident.
Well, it does if the aim of sanctioning these type of incidents is to eliminate dangerous play. I think the question is valid - why is use of the shoulder in one instance a lesser evil? The OP wasn't suggesting Hooper didn't deserve sanction. They're either fair dinkum about removing dangerous acts from the game or they're not. It is an inconsistency.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree consistency is woeful.

Cooper gets a yellow for a soft head high, Then Burgess does a similar or worse incident and gets nothing.
Douglas puts a hit on a player off the ball which I think was similar to Farrells but Farrell gets yellow carded.

I think they got it the wrong way around, Farrell should have got a penalty and Burgess should have got a yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.