• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think we are all massively underestimating the Welsh here.

They are quietly going about their business as the underdog, while everyone crows about the Wallabies. I fucking hate that, and it's got ambush written all over it.

For all their injuries it's still a very classy side who are 3rd in the world. Warburton, Faletau, North, Roberts, Wyn Jones, Tipuric, Lydiate are all guns who pulverised us in Lions shirts just a few years ago.

I'm worried about this game, because no-one seems to be worried. It is a must win and without Folau and Hooper it's going to be fucking tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100% agreed. We the fans are. I doubt the Wobs will be taking this as anything other than the hardest match so far, and maybe one of the hardest of the tournament.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we are all massively underestimating the Welsh here.

They are quietly going about their business as the underdog, while everyone crows about the Wallabies. I fucking hate that, and it's got ambush written all over it.

For all their injuries it's still a very classy side who are 3rd in the world. Warburton, Faletau, North, Roberts, Wyn Jones, Tipuric, Lydiate are all guns who pulverised us in Lions shirts just a few years ago.

I'm worried about this game, because no-one seems to be worried. It is a must win and without Folau and Hooper it's going to be fucking tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more. And I wouldn't put too much about the injuries. Sanjay is a better 15 than 1/2p and biggar is on 100% for place kicks. Apart from 13 gatland has a full side available. This game has two evenly matched teams on paper. But then, there isn't any final score that would surprise me either. And the gnome still hasn't played any tricks on my optimism levels yet.

If we let Australia play as well as they did for the first 40 mins last week we might never get into the game. If we get ahead we have a close game then we'll be in the scenario we've seen so many times before with Wales trying to close out a tight game. Hopefully we actually dont cock it up again. Great game in prospect. Wish they'd tell us the fucking teams!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think it's going to be bloody close, given the recent history between the two sides. Wales match up very well against us and play a similar style of game. I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 2-3 points in it either way at the end.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don't know why gatland and cheika are playing this game. And the kiwis must be pissing themselves at the efforts everyone s going to planning routes to the final to avoid them and praying for them to slip up against someone else. Better to go out against them than cocking up a game against someone we should really beat. Look what happened last time. 4 years of angst and acrimony wondering over what might have been. I want Wales to play NZ. Don't care at what stage but I don't want us to go out without it happening

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is being suggested that Wales will go with the following backline changes:

15. Anscombe
14. Williams
13. North

The Davies, Biggar, Cuthbert and Roberts would remain unchanged.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Is the first top tier side we've played against without Folau in a couple years??

This isn't a dig at Beale, I've been very impressed with his form recently, but I feel like this game will remind us just how good Folau is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is the first top tier side we've played against without Folau in a couple years??

Yes. Aside from the USA and Uruguay tests, Folau has played every test since his debut against the Lions.

The big thing with Folau is that even when he's in average form, he's still an incredibly solid player.

Hopefully both he and Kuridrani start to fire when we hit the knockout games (well, Kuridrani is welcome to start firing this weekend).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep Kuridrani hasn't been in top form all year. Pretty quiet for the Brumbies.
He goes into contact hesitantly too often. I'm not advocating running full-tilt into brick walls and breaking himself, but he slows and steps a lot these days rather than going hard at his oppsition's inside or outside shoulder - it looks pretty much like a confidence issue rather than anything. His other work has been just fine - defence, breakdown etc...
I get the sense that a few decent linebreaks will get his mindset right again.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
He goes into contact hesitantly too often. I'm not advocating running full-tilt into brick walls and breaking himself, but he slows and steps a lot these days rather than going hard at his oppsition's inside or outside shoulder - it looks pretty much like a confidence issue rather than anything. His other work has been just fine - defence, breakdown etc.
I get the sense that a few decent linebreaks will get his mindset right again.

Funny you mention the confidence thing as for my mind he has not had the same impact since coming back from the shoulder injury (last year?).

#13 is one position we seem to be pretty thin on.....is it a safe assumption that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is covering #13 should TK go down?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Funny you mention the confidence thing as for my mind he has not had the same impact since coming back from the shoulder injury (last year?).

#13 is one position we seem to be pretty thin on...is it a safe assumption that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is covering #13 should TK go down?

Yes. I think that is a very safe assumption that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the backup 13 in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.