• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Wales team

15-9 Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets),

1-8 Paul James (Ospreys), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Capt) (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), James Hook (Gloucester Rugby).

With Anscombe at 15 and Williams at 11 I reckon he's going to run it from wherever he can. Anscombe is very good on kick receipt and running back and will need to be closely watched. Kicks have to go away from him. Backrow has plenty of mobility too.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
I thought Simmons has actually been playing well in all facets, where as Douglas and Mumm haven't really impressed me much. Either way I think this team makes sense. McMahon allows us to play a similar game plan to having Hooper. Would've liked Tomane but Mitchell will more than do the job. Bring on Wales.

Have you seen the stats about ruck involvements that features on the site - Douglas shines there and i am sure thats why chiek likes him.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Gee I thought Folau would be out for all money. Hope he's fit and firing, Wales were pretty accurate with their high balls against England, Folau is much needed.

One thing is, England found a defence to him in the air. Don't try to catch the ball: just get a hand in there to spoil. That needs a counter-tactic.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I was amazed to see Wayne Smith's article in the Australian suggesting the Wallabies "couldn't believe what they had done" - he must have been watching a different World Cup, as what impressed me (for a change) with the Wallabies after the Englandder game was they seemed Cool, Calm and Collected - and very much unsurprised - knowing it was a small step across a long bridge...

Listening to the Media and Pundits though, in less than a week - and outside the team - it begins to sound Wales have use very much where we had England last game - Underestimated and with nothing to Lose...

I think we will win this match - but its nothing like the Matter-of-Course that some are making it out to be... And One good Match does not a Dominant Scrum Make.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I also think that Folau should have been kept on the Bench - only coming on if he was needed at the half-way mark or so.. 3 BIG Games still to come, one hopes...

G

galumay

I also think that Folau should have been kept on the Bench - only coming on if he was needed at the half-way mark or so.. 3 BIG Games still to come, one hopes.

I dont think this was a game we could afford to play anything but our best side in. That includes a fit Folau.

This will be by far the toughest opponent we have come up against and may well be the toughest until and if we reach the final.

Its all hands on deck! Splice the mainbrace and prepare to repel boarders!!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I was amazed to see Wayne Smith's article in the Australian suggesting the Wallabies "couldn't believe what they had done" - he must have been watching a different World Cup, as what impressed me (for a change) with the Wallabies after the Englandder game was they seemed Cool, Calm and Collected - and very much unsurprised - knowing it was a small step across a long bridge.

Listening to the Media and Pundits though, in less than a week - and outside the team - it begins to sound Wales have use very much where we had England last game - Underestimated and with nothing to Lose.

I think we will win this match - but its nothing like the Matter-of-Course that some are making it out to be. And One good Match does not a Dominant Scrum Make.

Ha Ha! Wayne Smith was amazed to see what the Wallabies had done. He then decided the Wallabies couldn't believe what they had done. The technical term is transference - its not very healthy!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Whilst I agree there is a bit of hype about them.
Who from within the Wallaby camp is talking it up?
I thought it was the reverse,delaying announcing the team cos they are struggling with injuries,is just one example.

You can't blame them for what the press or their supporters talk/write about.

T

TOCC

I didnt say anyone in the Wallabies camp is talking it up, they could be, i don't know.

I'm talking about the media from both at home and in the UK who have been fapping over their performance from last week, a lot of articles have been pretty dismissive of the Welsh, but i think Wales have always presented a dangerous opponent and Gatland knows how to make his players lift for the big matches.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He's young and Ledesma probably wants to get as many minutes as possible under his belt against quality THs before we get to the pointy end of this thing.

I thought the conventional wisdom is that props don't mature until near their thirties or later.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Interesting Wales side, a lot of changes (most enforced though). Personally I think this is Wales best backrow though. Lydiate is far too one dimensional for me. Not that I think I have ever seen him miss a tackle, just Tipuric offers more for me.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Interesting Wales side, a lot of changes (most enforced though). Personally I think this is Wales best backrow though. Lydiate is far too one dimensional for me. Not that I think I have ever seen him miss a tackle, just Tipuric offers more for me.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dunno. There is a full conventional side available. Looks to me that he's building cover in key positions. Good for the future too putting them up against Australia. Has to be cuthbert s last chance. One thing for sure. Both teams look like they have speed. Hold onto your hats. This game is gonna be played at pace!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ch s thoughts on selection from the BBC website:

Gatland said had Wales been in the World Cup final, Lydiate would have been involved, but felt the Osprey's "soreness" warranted a rest.
Veteran prop Jenkins' injury history combined with James' return to fitness from a calf problem prompted that change.
Gatland backs Lee and Wales' scrum
Gatland said Jenkins has often "broken down" after playing three or four consecutive games and he wanted the player "fit and fresh" for the quarter-finals.
"And Paul James needed a game," added Gatland.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34469773

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I am happy to see Warburton playing at #6 as he has been far less effective in the past when starting on that side.

I will be looking to see how Foley and Gits target big George north at #13. Sure he is a damaging runner and we will have our hands full containing him but I would not be surprised if the Wallabies have already identified him as a defensive weakness. What impressed me to no end was the way Foley isolated Ben Youngs last week. Both of Foley's tries came from successfully isolating him and what surprised me both times is that when Youngs was forced to make a call and take a man, he did neither and let Foley & Co run by.

#BlameYoungsnotBurgess

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've no problem with the forwards. Hope moriarty gets some time on field probably to protect warbs. No problem re attacking options and with biggar welded into #10 anscombe s future is 15. I'm a teeensey weensey bit concerned about our defence out wide. North at 13 could be like burgess. I prefer Sanjay at 15 and I've said enough about cuthbert

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am happy to see Warburton playing at #6 as he has been far less effective in the past when starting on that side.

I will be looking to see how Foley and Gits target big George north at #13. Sure he is a damaging runner and we will have our hands full containing him but I would not be surprised if the Wallabies have already identified him as a defensive weakness. What impressed me to no end was the way Foley isolated Ben Youngs last week. Both of Foley's tries came from successfully isolating him and what surprised me both times is that when Youngs was forced to make a call and take a man, he did neither and let Foley & Co run by.

#BlameYoungsnotBurgess
Exactly. Except for warbs at 6. It was the case but recently they play much better together and tips has been on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.