• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Is it about this time of year we start putting together the coaching jigsaw puzzle?
Mick Raynes has recommitted to Albury I read. Other than that, I'm not too sure.

Player movements are always a topic of conversation in the silly season, haven't got any juicy ones myself, but will post any whispers I hear on GGRF!

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Very naive to think that players from our zone would be invited to train with the Griffins when talented players from the john I dent cup sides don't get selected in the squad. Tai Veleni (mcdougall medal runner up 2015) is one that comes to mind.

If players are good enough and willing they have to play week in week out in front of coaches Harris, Roberds (UC vikings) and Southwell, Fahey and Ross (ACT Griffins).

Canberra clubs actively recruit from our zone every season. Players can't expect to be picked up in rep teams playing national competitions from SIRU. The guys picking these teams are looking for consistent performances from players under pressure on a weekly basis. Not strong showings in a weaker comp and a couple of rep games.

I appreciate the sentiment, not sure that Steve Merrick would

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I appreciate the sentiment, not sure that Steve Merrick would

Steve Merrick played 20 years ago mate. In the amateur era!!!

Yes there are good players here but the pathway is to go through the John I Dent cup like Harry Burey and Sione Taula have. Along with guys like Dan Penca, Dave McKern and Ben Johnston, they EARN the opportunity to be selected!

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
James Olds played in the Canberra Comp last year for Uni / Norths and didn't set the world on fire and was just another player in the John Dent Cup- he comes back to the SIRU comp and is a superstar.
A couple of prominent SIRU players have moved over to Canberra in recent years and didn't even play 1st Grade for their respective Clubs
I agree with Maulalltheway - times have changed with Professional Rugby being played in Australia now.
The players have to move to where the action is (either John Dent Cup or Shute Shield) to be noticed - the Clubs in Canberra and Sydney aren't interested in Training Camps etc for Country players - the players have to show they have the dedication and move to stronger Competitions
Rep Rugby is good for the SIRU players but let's not get too carried away with some of our players abilities because thaey are plenty of tiers down from the Big Boys

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
with all the comments on Rep Rugby should SIRU be taking a side to the Country C'Ships next year at Armidale.
From what I'm told its the same deal as last year - SIRU plays in the 2nd Division Comp (Richards Shield) and the SIRU players are ineligible for Country selection - Thoughts ?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
with all the comments on Rep Rugby should SIRU be taking a side to the Country C'Ships next year at Armidale.
From what I'm told its the same deal as last year - SIRU plays in the 2nd Division Comp (Richards Shield) and the SIRU players are ineligible for Country selection - Thoughts ?
Absolute waste of time and money. That would cost roughly $15-20k depending on how players get there etc etc.

The zone couldn't afford the outlay and why send a team that distance with no chance of anyone progressing.

Bowral was convenient this year and the players stumped up for the travel and accommodation from my memory.

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
Would it really cost that much for a weekend off rugby? That's a lot more then I thought it would cost. Speaking of rep rugby will the zone do another city v country before the brumbies game again?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A bus for a start would set you back about $6K
I agree with yourmatesam that it would be a great waste of money but in the end the Clubs will give their opinions at the AGM
Even if the Clubs supported it and were prepared to fund most of it with their own contributions I would still doubt that a lot of players would be available due to distance etc.
SIRU should just stick to the Brumbies Prove C'ships which are set down for the South Cost next year

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
any news on the Monaro Clubs Meeting last night in Canberra ?

My scout tells me that there is a meeting scheduled for next Wednesday for all clubs (one-teamers or potential one-teamers) under the Brumbies umbrella at Brumbies HQ to discuss.

I would suggest that it is unlikely that the Brumbies and NSW/NSW Country are going to speak to each other about their planning arrangements for 2016.

On a not entirely unrelated matter, who is the club Secretary who resigned within a matter of hours following their election at the club's recent AGM? Must be some sort of record surely.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
sounds like a positive step to me
I still reckon some Clubs are looking at soft options as far as their Futures

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
What's the saying? Blind Freddie could have seen that coming...

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/3426144/siru-shift-cools/?cs=149

For me, Club's that are interested in the One Team option in 2016, the best pathway is within SIRU which could provide many benefits to all parties and would be considerably easier to administer under the SIRU banner.

I reckon the SIRU Board would be supportive of a format within the competition that provides such options to all clubs.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
What's the saying? Blind Freddie could have seen that coming.

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/3426144/siru-shift-cools/?cs=149

For me, Club's that are interested in the One Team option in 2016, the best pathway is within SIRU which could provide many benefits to all parties and would be considerably easier to administer under the SIRU banner.

I reckon the SIRU Board would be supportive of a format within the competition that provides such options to all clubs.

Agreed, but I still think it is worthwhile chasing Grenfell, West Wyalong and Condo. This would give the comp a bot more substance. Without them I'd be less than convinced, even skeptical...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Agreed, but I still think it is worthwhile chasing Grenfell, West Wyalong and Condo. This would give the comp a bot more substance. Without them I'd be less than convinced, even skeptical.

They're not interested though.

The additional team that may come across to SIRU are Harden and they're the club that sits right on the border between both competitions who can potentially balance their options and choose a competition based on what's best for their club.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thw word is that the Meeting in Canberra didn't go well for the Tri-Colours & unsurprisingly the Monaro Clubs showed their allegiance to each other.
Back to the "White" Board for Coota now but the word is they are not prepared to travel occasional good distances to get a game of Rugby e.g Hay, Griffith, Albury & Deni - does the word "Selfish" come to mind- apprently that's what the Monaro Clubs thought when they left the Meeting the other night

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Thw word is that the Meeting in Canberra didn't go well for the Tri-Colours & unsurprisingly the Monaro Clubs showed their allegiance to each other.
Back to the "White" Board for Coota now but the word is they are not prepared to travel occasional good distances to get a game of Rugby e.g Hay, Griffith, Albury & Deni - does the word "Selfish" come to mind- apprently that's what the Monaro Clubs thought when they left the Meeting the other night

Part of the fabric of country rugby is travelling on the bus with the lads for a game. If the Tri-Colours are keen on travelling for a game of rugby, perhaps they could form a comp with say, Illabo, Bethungra, Stockingbingal & Wallendbeen???

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Good Idea Independent but all Finals and the Grand Final have to be played at Coota after such big road trips for the Lads

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
The SIRU AGM next month will be a big one
My mail says that Harden will play with the Monaro Clubs and Junee aren't interested in a 1 Grade Comp.
Young, Temora & Coota playing as 1st, 2nd & 3rd Grades - Problem Solved ? - Ha Ha

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I just had a thought. What will happen to Country Club Oval if Cootamundra only have one grade playing? Will they turn the ground back to a North/South orientation?

Status
Not open for further replies.