• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: NZ v TONGA (Newcastle): POOL C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's the only logical option. Though Naholo offers no bench value so shouldn't be in the match day squad. Which, by extension, means he's effectively wasting a valuable squad position.

All in all, I think it's safe to say that his selection has been a pointless and reckless experiment.

You really are a negative bugger aren't you zer0, while I agree Naholo hasn't done what was expected, I still can see why he was tried, it's called risk and reward. You never know how players are going to go until you try them, and having someone of Naholo's pace was worth trying. He will have a great career regardless.
Thought things were on the improve in general, DC seemed to control game well and generally felt that things are getting back to where they should be.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
You really are a negative bugger aren't you zer0, while I agree Naholo hasn't done what was expected, I still can see why he was tried, it's called risk and reward. You never know how players are going to go until you try them, and having someone of Naholo's pace was worth trying. He will have a great career regardless.

The risk hugely out weighed the reward. That much was obvious from the start. The issue is further magnified when the alternative option was a consistent performer, versatile option and, in 2015, the best performing outside back in Charles Piutau.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thought this was Tonga's best game and final score flattered NZ. Tonga can be proud of that effort. Pity they did not show that sort of performance in previous matches as otherwise might have claimed third place instead of Georgia.

All blacks forwards play bit of a worry as they were certainly not world beaters on that part of that game.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I am not trying to bait our Kiwi brethren here but geesh, I would have expected to see at least one complete 80 minute performance by the AB's by this stage in the competition. Fair enough to say that the opposition have been a little wanting but by the typical AB standards I think their pool performances leave a lot to be desired. They do appear very "human" at the moment.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
AB'S again were under par. If Tonga scored a penalty try in the 38th minute, which they were close to, it wouldve been a 4 point game with the AB's down to 13 men. AB'S were getting so overpowered upfront and with Tonga 's natural longing to play it wide combined with a coaching discipline I've not seen in a Pacific Island team in a while this couldve been very close.

If Ireland do beat France this weekend, it's very conceivable the French will put the Kiwis out. They simply don't look at their potential right now.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
AB'S again were under par. If Tonga scored a penalty try in the 38th minute, which they were close to, it wouldve been a 4 point game with the AB's down to 13 men. AB'S were getting so overpowered upfront and with Tonga 's natural longing to play it wide combined with a coaching discipline I've not seen in a Pacific Island team in a while this couldve been very close.

If Ireland do beat France this weekend, it's very conceivable the French will put the Kiwis out. They simply don't look at their potential right now.
Just cos they've done it years ago doesn't mean they have an innate capacity to beat nz. Why would a team that's lost to Ireland (which they will) suddenly be able to knock off #1

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just cos they've done it years ago doesn't mean they have an innate capacity to beat nz. Why would a team that's lost to Ireland (which they will) suddenly be able to knock off #1

Because they're France. It's what they do. They might no longer do it with the panache of 1999, but they still have the capability to pull it off as they did in 2007, and almost again in 2011.

I, personally, would only feel significantly confident of winning that quarterfinal were Dusautoir to be unavailable. He seems to be the catalyst for their contemporary shenanigans.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because they're France. It's what they do. They might no longer do it with the panache of 1999, but they still have the capability to pull it off as they did in 2007, and almost again in 2011.

I, personally, would only feel significantly confident of winning that quarterfinal were Dusautoir to be unavailable. He seems to be the catalyst for their contemporary shenanigans.
You don't watch them enough. They've done nothing for four years

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Various English papers putting Aussie as favorites and the ABs as in trouble. I'll take it.

One huge difference. Aussie had HAD to bring their A game from the beginning because of their difficult pool. We haven't.

Concerned about the form of Read and Kaino though. They haven't done much the whole year (bar Eden Park)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

AB's will be nervous playing France as latter always seem to step up two gears playing the AB's...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Various English papers putting Aussie as favorites and the ABs as in trouble. I'll take it.

One huge difference. Aussie had HAD to bring their A game from the beginning because of their difficult pool. We haven't.

Concerned about the form of Read and Kaino though. They haven't done much the whole year (bar Eden Park)

Fair comment. Australia indeed had a tough pool to navigate whilst AB's clearly haven't so pressure to step up a gear not been there. There still would be some concerns I imagine for AB supporters about quality of their forward play in pool matches. But I could equally see this turning around very quickly and I don't think anyone seriously would question AB's are still the team to beat.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought after so many repeat penalties on try line Tongans hard done by not to be awarded penalty try. Would not have altered the result in any case.
I seriously just don't understand how people can repeatedly say such things. A penalty try going into half time 14-10 and possibly another all black in the bin could have had a massive impact on the psyche of the Tongans. Conversely, the referee totally bottling like he did it could easily make the Tongans think "well, f#ck it. Why bother?".

It is just a deflating experience to watch 50/50s and even 90/10s constantly go the way of the opposition. The corollary to that - it is extremely uplifting to realise that every decision is going your way.

Very easy to say "professionals just rise above that", when to be honest, it is just plain bollocks.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
The scrum is now getting pretty woeful. What I wonder is whether the AB's have a deliberate nonchalance on the opposition feed OR are just getting pasted when the ball is in there for more than 3 seconds. I say that because NZ probably has one of the most stable scrums on their own feed, though they also hook it the quickest and get it out faster than anyone. We give up scrum penalties on opposition feed every single game though, so long as its only 2-3 from here on in.

As above, the loosies as a whole are a bloody worry. Read has got to be in the worst form of his life and quite frankly has been in poor form for about a year now. That look of disgust on Nonus face after he ripped the ball free and then Read tried to catch it with his crotch. Kaino is very lucky to keep his place ahead of Vito and Messam (14mins of RWC play).. and I would have selected Cane over McCaw from start of season, shh.

Feel bad for Piutau missing out all of a sudden. Form player, young, I think it was purely the fact he's going overseas.

G

galumay

Wow, that was an abysmal refereeing performance by Lacey, its no wonder people watching the game come up with tin hat conspiracy theories about the refs ensuring Tier 1 teams win when you see a game reffed as poorly as that.

I think the AB's are in real trouble, I suspect the easy pool has done them no favours, they have looked well below their best so far and now we are at the pointy end where one performance at less than 100% can spell the end of your tournament.

Maybe they are just foxing, maybe they are just playng as well as they have to in order to win, but the other sides will be taking a lot of confidence from the performances to date.

Of course one writes off the ABs at great risk of being served a big plate of humble pie and they still remain the firm favourite for mine, but there are chinks in the armour!

Status
Not open for further replies.