• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Highlights always make a player look good but the try starting at 3:29 was one of the most amazing ones I have ever seen at a ground - though it doesn't look like much.

Wright, the captain, called a scrum when Joeys got a penalty right in front of the posts. He directed the other backs, except the 9 obviously, to flood the left hand side of the field and he would be the lone back on the right.

Kings had two backs opposing him and the other photographer and I both agreed that Wright would call the ball to himself because he would back himself to beat any two defenders - and Joeys were more likely to score that way.

As you can see he almost stopped and fixed the defenders in place like a cobra, before he accelerated and scored in the corner.

I had never seen anything like using that stacking deception to score before in XVs.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Highlights always make a player look good but the try starting at 3:29 was one of the most amazing ones I have ever seen at a ground - though it doesn't look like much.

etc etc

Ha, that's brilliant. Such a shame to see him go over to the dark side, but as an NRL fan I have faith that he'll completely terrorise defences.

But it's a good thing he didn't mess it up, otherwise I'd imagine he'd cop a bit of smack from his teammates and the coach!

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
take the point up with the GAGR selectors - they included Helu but said he needed to work on fitness, discipline and scrummaging and they didn't include the other ones (probably for the same reason :p:p).

And the strategy did work when they lost.
Are you forgetting that the GAGR selectors aren't actual selectors, but contributors like us, or that the suggestion that Helu needed to work on his fitness, discipline and scrummaging came from a contributor (namely me!)?

And could you at least accept the fact that a strategy that achieves a success rate of 10% might not actually be the sort of strategy that you'd want to boast about? Perhaps you should start putting together the next great strategy for the 2016 season and leave Newington to celebrate their joint premiership.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ha, that's brilliant. Such a shame to see him go over to the dark side, but as an NRL fan I have faith that he'll completely terrorise defences.

But it's a good thing he didn't mess it up, otherwise I'd imagine he'd cop a bit of smack from his teammates and the coach!

I loved watching the video of Wright terrorising defenders in the 7s earlier in the year - brilliant stuff! But when I showed it to a colleague at work who has coached junior league, he agreed that Wright's attacking prowess can't be questioned but wondered if his defence would be up to scratch in league.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I loved watching the video of Wright terrorising defenders in the 7s earlier in the year - brilliant stuff! But when I showed it to a colleague at work who has coached junior league, he agreed that Wright's attacking prowess can't be questioned but wondered if his defence would be up to scratch in league.

As a Sea Eagles fan, I hope it does.:)

oversandunders

Frank Row (1)

In addition to the current highlight videos (riverview, scots, joeys) King's has now released this outstanding montage from their otherwise quiet season (albeit with a few upsets). Big things expected next year from the 2016 cohort

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
Are you forgetting that the GAGR selectors aren't actual selectors, but contributors like us, or that the suggestion that Helu needed to work on his fitness, discipline and scrummaging came from a contributor (namely me!)?

And could you at least accept the fact that a strategy that achieves a success rate of 10% might not actually be the sort of strategy that you'd want to boast about? Perhaps you should start putting together the next great strategy for the 2016 season and leave Newington to celebrate their joint premiership.

After all this, we see that the Australian selectors think pretty highly of Opeti Helu (and of Teu Atiola in fact).

Both have been called up to the Australian Barbarians squad after injuries to Gavin Luka and Harry Chapman (Kings).

Congratulations to the both of them.

PartyboyMike

Frank Row (1)
I heard the big #4 from Newington, Charlie Mannix has knocked back a 2 year deal with the Waratahs development squad to take up an athletics scholarship at the University of Alabama in the States. Is looking to play as tight-end or line-backer. At about 6"3 and 110 kgs will be interesting to see if he can do it!

PartyboyMike

Frank Row (1)
I know it's still early but what's everyones predictions for next year's rugby season. I am interested to see how the GPS heavyweights of Newington and Scots go after losing some big names (Smith, Strang, Woods for Scots) (Murray, Kennewell, Piroddi for New).

PartyboyMike

Frank Row (1)
On a side note: It is being said that Newington are planning a sports tour to Denver, Colorado for 2016. They will be taking the rugby squad and some of the soccer guys to train at high-altitude before the new rugby season kicks off. This will surely give the boys from Stanmore an advantage

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
I heard the big #4 from Newington, Charlie Mannix has knocked back a 2 year deal with the Waratahs development squad to take up an athletics scholarship at the University of Alabama in the States. Is looking to play as tight-end or line-backer. At about 6"3 and 110 kgs will be interesting to see if he can do it!

Probably the most mediocre attempt at trolling I've ever seen on these forums. You've got a HSC coming up, go study for it.

PartyboyMike

Frank Row (1)
Probably the most mediocre attempt at trolling I've ever seen on these forums. You've got a HSC coming up, go study for it.

Mate when you're hearing about it on fox sports you're going to look like one silly rooster. Honestly mate, grow up. I'm trying to promote the achievements of a young man and all you want to do is be negative.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
TIPPING COMP FINAL

So 10 rounds of great rugby has come and gone, Here are the die hards who regularly tipped.

The final 2 rounds really did sort the sheep from the goats. Some didn't like the Power tipping, and others thrived on challenge of the seconds and thirds.

We have an OUTRIGHT winner, and a very worthy one at that. Rich_E congratulations. Not only are you very good at writing up games and Season reviews and the like, you must have a bit of an idea of who can play rugby, and what teams will win. A perfect round in the last saw Rich pip the very reliable and usual front runner Mr Jarse.

Nectophiliac who was well in contention couldn't handle the power tipping concept, and with the line in sight faded badly back in the field. (The vets were attending at last report, and grim fears are held about Nectos future)

Wristman, pulled a perfect round 10 and made a massive move on the leaders to get a podium finish. Equal 2nd with Mr Jarse.

In keeping with tradition no Third place is awarded.

Yours truly had an appalling run at that tipping, and took the spoon. Ok with that this year, next year things will be very different

View attachment 6907

No way. Unreal. I have only just seen this now. Thanks NIS for running the comp. Was heaps of fun. Im looking forward to next year already. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.