• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I had hoped that his time in Europe had brought had given a more mature and humble outlook on life, but the videos he is posting don't seem to support that.

It's a shame as he did had real potential and talent, but personal circumstances would see him never fulfill that, I hope he finds his niche in France.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pretty sure James found his niche - somewhere between his own left arse cheek and his right.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Better for the Reds right now. They are in a rebuilding phase and they need solid leaders and role models to make it happen.

Good luck to him in France. Hope his issues are not serious.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Probably sounds callous, but I don't give a shit if he finds his niche. He has more talent than most players, and has had opportunities thrown at him throughout his career. That he has failed to capitalise on them repeatedly, even allowing for injuries, is on him. The apparent air of entitlement that has followed him, whether it be of his making or his Brand partners, stinks.
And I really enjoyed watching him play in his earlier years on the scene, huge potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Probably sounds callous, but I don't give a shit if he finds his niche. He has more talent than most players, and has had opportunities thrown at him throughout his career. That he has failed to capitalise on them repeatedly, even allowing for injuries, is on him. The apparent air of entitlement that has followed him, whether it be of his making or his Brand partners, stinks.
And I really enjoyed watching him play in his earlier years on the scene, huge potential.

He highlights how just important attitude is, all the talent in the world without the right attitude it means f*ck all

Always a concern when any talented unit is continually changing teams, it is always a good measure of the player, and not in a good way

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)

Sounds like an Australian version of Francois Steyn.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
From all I heard and saw, he appeared to be trying really hard to succeed this past season. He had attitude problems in the past, but I can't really recall anything untoward this season. He hasn't played well, but that would be difficult given the circumstances and he is hardly alone in the reds in that respect.

I am somewhat ambivalent to him going, but wouldn't go as far as to think he was one of the worst signings ever.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
From all I heard and saw, he appeared to be trying really hard to succeed this past season. He had attitude problems in the past, but I can't really recall anything untoward this season. He hasn't played well, but that would be difficult given the circumstances and he is hardly alone in the reds in that respect.

I am somewhat ambivalent to him going, but wouldn't go as far as to think he was one of the worst signings ever.

Well that depends on how much they signed him for.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
According to the news report he is only 25 years of age.

What a tragedy for our code that a player with his talent did not have the right mental attitude- he should have been a 100 Test veteran.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
JOC (James O'Connor) is essentially the rugby version of a child movie star.

Was given the fame and fortune before he knew how to handle it and now it's giving him headaches. Although I must say those who knew him during his Nudgee days will tell you he wasn't exactly the most humble fellow to begin with.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
If we're talking equivalents, JOC (James O'Connor) is the Luke McAlister of Australian rugby.

(Same traits - brand, talent, ambition, immature, self-centred, unfulfilled)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Calling Adam Thomson one of the greats of the modern game seems a bit of a stretch. Class Super Rugby player and sometimes All Black would be about it. Seems like a great guy, but modern great is ridiculous.

I look forward to Marto's next spray against whoever he loses the plot with next. Glass houses is a pretty appropriate comment in relation to Marto. He throws his toys out of the cot on a regular basis and doesn't think before he speaks.

Come February he'll probably be ranting about Richard Graham not doing enough to keep James O'Connor at the Reds.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I thought he'd wait a bit longer before announcing his move back overseas, but I guess he wants to fly under the radar for once.

I think it's to Australian rugby's credit that they did so little to play into JOC (James O'Connor)'s script, which to my mind went something like this:

1. Mend some fences, especially in his home state
2. Get some solid game-time under his belt @10, showing all and sundry how incredibly mature he is now
3. Announce himself as a superstar 10 at the RWC
4. Cite personal reasons to get out of the rest of his contract after the victory parades, since that plays better than "Wanted more money than you lot can give me"
5. Make squillions in France
6. Possibly consider a comeback next RWC, in response to some very public begging from the ARU

Reactions: BDA
Status
Not open for further replies.