• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I fully expect Scotland to throw everything at this from the first minute. One assumes that their tactics will revolve around mayhem at the breakdown and rushing up in defence. Not sure that they will be able to keep those tactics going for 80 minutes though. If they give away too many penalties doing so, I would expect yellow cards.

My tip is for the Wallabies to run away with it in the last 20 minutes and that the final score may end up looking much more comfortable that it was.

The thing about the rush defence is that is has to be done accurately. All it takes is a couple of penalties for offside, leading to points, or some missed tackles, leading to linebreaks or tries, for the whole rushing enterprise to fall to pieces. It's a high-risk strategy.

Likewise mayhem at the breakdown. Committing six or seven men then losing quick ball leaves you immediately exposed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We could be in some trouble if one of our locks gets injured later on. Carter didn't play any games for Bordeaux. He only played 2? NRC games and couple mins vs USA since his injury. He'll be very light on match fitness. Perhaps Horwill (who resumes this weekend) was the better choice.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The thing about the rush defence is that is has to be done accurately. All it takes is a couple of penalties for offside, leading to points, or some missed tackles, leading to linebreaks or tries, for the whole rushing enterprise to fall to pieces. It's a high-risk strategy.

Likewise mayhem at the breakdown. Committing six or seven men then losing quick ball leaves you immediately exposed.

Which is what I expect will happen.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Scotland
15. Hogg
14. Maitland
13. Bennett
12. Horne
11. Seymour
10. Russell
9. Laidlaw
8. Denton
7. Hardie
6. Cowan
5. Gray
4. Swinson
3. Nel
2. Brown
1. Dickinson

16. Bryce
17. Reid
18. Welsh
19. Strokosch
20. Strauss
21. Pyrgos
22. Vernon
23. Lamont

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
We could be in some trouble if one of our locks gets injured later on. Carter didn't play any games for Bordeaux. He only played 2? NRC games and couple mins vs USA since his injury. He'll be very light on match fitness. Perhaps Horwill (who resumes this weekend) was the better choice.

qwerty51, like all the other 'fringe players' Sam must be "trained to perfection", given the number of sessions they have all completed!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Scotland
15. Hogg
14. Maitland
13. Bennett
12. Horne
11. Seymour
10. Russell
9. Laidlaw
8. Denton
7. Hardie
6. Cowan
5. Gray
4. Swinson
3. Nel
2. Brown
1. Dickinson

16. Bryce
17. Reid
18. Welsh
19. Strokosch
20. Strauss
21. Pyrgos
22. Vernon
23. Lamont

Compared to vs. Samoa:

S Hogg, S Maitland, M Bennett, M Scott, T Seymour, F Russell, G Laidlaw; A Dickinson, R Ford, WP Nel, R Gray, J Gray, R Wilson, J Hardie, D Denton.

Four changes in bold.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ireland and Argentina just announced their team at the deadline, I suspect we'll do the same which is in 3 hours.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Kane Douglas
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben McCalman
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Kurtley Beale

Reserves
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Greg Holmes
19. Dean Mumm
20. Sean McMahon
21. Nick Phipps
22. Matt To'omua
23. Quade Cooper

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Really need Fardy and Dog to step up their breakdown efforts in Poey's absence!

I hope the game isn't in the balance when/if Quade comes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.