• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

the timezones are brutal for ratings but the game is generating good coverage across the newspapers and news reports

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ It's the Sydney FOMO Bandwagon effect. Problem has been that the glamourous have been focused on manoevuering into the right space so that they can be seen at the right Spring Carnival event. Choices, choices, choices.... ... ...

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Another one from Foxtel
Australia v Scotland - 82k.

It's been said plenty of times already, but these timezones are brutal for ratings here in Australia

2:00am Monday morning is as bad it can get, but that's still a pretty disappointing figure for a knock-out game, when the Wallabies have been playing really well. Might have something to do with the perceived weakness of Scotland - I'll be really interested to see what number will (hopefully get to) tune in to an Australia-NZ final.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Next week is even worse. 3am in Sydney. If we make the final, at least it is on a Saturday night (at 3am).

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I watched the 2007 QF at my local rugby club with a large crowd, you can't do that with a game that kicks off at 3am

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I remember that game being much earlier and on a Saturday night. Kick off was something like 10pm.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Thanks - have edited.

Unfortunately I watched this one in a pub in Clapham surrounded by gloating poms so don't recall when it was on here.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
image.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wallabies fever is alive and kicking in Australia, too.

Given games are in the middle of the night, TV ratings have been remarkable for Australia’s games.

The Wallabies’ win over England, with a 6am kickoff, had a combined audience on FoxSports and Gem of 412,000 viewers.

The win over Wales (2am) drew 251,000 and the thriller against Scotland (2am) had an audience of 314,000.

They don’t go close to the million-plus figures the Wallabies got in friendlier Kiwi timezones at the last World Cup, but they’re big numbers for the graveyard shift and to put in context, many Super Rugby games don’t crack 100,000 viewers.

The Melbourne A-League derby got 84,000 at the weekend.

The home support hasn’t been missed by the Wallabies. Michael Cheika has made the bleary-eyed Aussie supporter a big motivation for his team and the players mention “people getting up at home” at almost every press conference as a big driving force.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
NZ v SA got 113K on Fox, and 104K in the cities (not including Perth) on GEM. Due to the time difference, Perth has been making outsized contributions - so chuck another 40K on that.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
The subscription TV ratings for the AUS v ARG semi-final were 188,000. A great result for 2/3am on a Monday morning. Coffee sales through the roof too I would guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.