• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The NZ/SA Rivalry, how fierce is it?

How Fierce is the New Zealand - South Africa rivarly?

• I live to beat the South Africans/Kiwis (omit as appropriate)

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • it's reasonably fierce I suppose, no other country provides a challenge though

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I prefer beating up on/getting beaten up by the Aussies (again, omit as appropriate)

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • It used to be good, not so much anymore

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • meh, when is the End of Year tour again?

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Don't know what you are talking about. The 99 WC ended after the quarter finals...

Ha. Don't worry mate. Larkham damaged us for life with the only drop kick of his life. I was 13, FFS!

Looked at it again the other day, still can't believe it. Looked like he was gonna run it, and then in his stride just kicked it. BMT galore.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Ha. Don't worry mate. Larkham damaged us for life with the only drop kick of his life. I was 13, FFS!

Looked at it again the other day, still can't believe it. Looked like he was gonna run it, and then in his stride just kicked it. BMT galore.

sorry, what is BMT?

Indi

Frank Row (1)
To be honest, i feel like our rivalry with Australia is greater, I mean if you only look at the teams then perhaps South Africa is greater competition, but you also have to look at the fans, who are almost just as much a part of the game as the teams. And in that case I think that the rivalry between Australia and New Zealand is one of the greatest in rugby, if not the world, and I don't think that South Africa can beat that. But that might just be me.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
To be honest, i feel like our rivalry with Australia is greater, I mean if you only look at the teams then perhaps South Africa is greater competition, but you also have to look at the fans, who are almost just as much a part of the game as the teams. And in that case I think that the rivalry between Australia and New Zealand is one of the greatest in rugby, if not the world, and I don't think that South Africa can beat that. But that might just be me.

Yeah, we're not very passionate at all. In fact, it's like playing chess for us, not involved in the game at any emotional level.

/sarcasm

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
What do NZ/SA really have anything to go on besides rugby. From the outside imo it appears to be a rivalry of convenience due to the strength of the sides.

AUS/NZ have a lot more rivalry/commonality/shared interests then SA in generally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The NZ/SA rivalry is a rugby rivalry because of the shared importance of the game in each country.

The Aus/NZ rivalry is more based around our shared history and geography and extends to a lot of facets of life of which rugby is one of them.

The Aus v NZ rivalry might be stronger overall but the rugby rivalry between the All Blacks and the Springboks is stronger than that between the Wallabies and All Blacks (at least from a New Zealand perspective).

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Is rugby as important in SA as NZ, I was under the impression that soccer was the main game there.

The thing is, if NZ went to shit in rugby (unlikely) and ireland were all of a sudden dominant for the next ten years (i know even more unlikely) with SA floating around as the second most likely team.... Then I think SA would consider there match ups with nz just like aus in the geographic sense and really appreciate the fight against the best more.

Same with NZ, if SA went to shit, do you think the rivalry would be as fierce.

Whereas the bledisloe cup, and nz v aus matches whether it be in darts, league, lawn bowls, netball pick your flavour, will always have a bit more to it.

Hence rivalry of convenience, because really... South Africa is, South Africa.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
But yeah, massive chips on their shoulders but kiwis have that about anything Australian.

I have a saying "Many New Zealanders are very well balanced, when it comes to anything to do with Australia they have chips on both shoulders."

Reactions: pjm

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The rivalry between the AB's and Boks is mostly about history I would have thought. That's not a bad thing BTW, but they are two of the oldest foes in the game and in the early years the Boks had it over NZ and then a period of good back and forth between them, right up until the mid 70's. The Kiwis have had mostly their way since 1992, but I think the rivalry was well set at that point.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
For the majority of the demographic, rugby as a whole doesn't matter. For a small percentage(10% of the population maybe) of us who care about rugby, the All Black rivalry is everything. It's about respect, and also beating the holy crap out of each other. It's the epitome of an oxymoron.

I reiterate that nothing has had me as hyped up as the 2 All Black tests this year. Nothing comes even close. It's an event. And the people I pointed out above all feel the same.