• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC player payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm curious to know what the approximate size of player payments are for NRC players. I know they can't live off it, need other (very flexible) jobs, but what sort of bickies would an NRC player get? Per match payments or per season? Are Super players still paid by their Super team, or would they just get more (because they're more valuable) from their NRC team?

By deduction, I know that Super teams have a $4 - 4.5M salary for 35 players, therefore averaging just over $100k a player, but the marquee players would take a big chunk so the journeymen would only be $60 - $80k a season (still not bad money for a 20 year old). Wondering what the step down is to the NRC.

Just curious.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've heard NRC only players are paid about $5,000 for the comp.

Super Rugby minimum salary was $67,500 in 2015. That rises to $72,500 in 2016 and $75,000 in 2016.

EPS was $47,500 this year which goes up to $50,000 then $52,500.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah that's SFA. With all the travel and training, you'd have to love it - or hope you're in with a shot at the big time. Some country footballers (AFL) are getting that sort of money.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah that's SFA. With all the travel and training, you'd have to love it - or hope you're in with a shot at the big time. Some country footballers (AFL) are getting that sort of money.

As I said, the $5k is just what I've heard.

The Super Rugby salaries are official as published by the ARU and RUPA.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think, at least the qld boys, get supplements and training programmes.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After it was revealed that there was a vast difference in "salaries" offered in NRC ver 1.0, with some players receiving nothing more than a handshake and a kind word ( access to supplements, gyms, dietary advice, and S&C programmes excluded), I believe that RUPA and ARU have mandated for NRC 2.0 that the minimum NRC "salary" is to be $400. This would hardly pay for petrol or public transport to get to and from training. The word on the street is that there is still a fairly wide discrepancy between what individuals are being "paid".

$5000 seems to be a "ball park" figure that is being bandied about for a Premier Club player, but there are apparently many getting less, and some on more.

When the Eagles are worried about a $20k bill to use the Waratahs facilities last year, it suggests that the "player salary" component of their balance sheet is not particularly large.

I'd reckon most coaches are getting not more than a free Polo shirt and a couple of tickets to home games. The Super Contracted Players, Coaches and other staff would still be getting their usual salary from their Club especially when they are playing for a NRC team that is associated with their Super Club.

Could be a bit murky where the player is playing for a NRC team associated with another Super Club, but I think Staniforth is the only one in that situation. Most of the others. like Chibba Hanson, Caderyn Neville, Tom Kingston, Jed Gillespie etc are between or off contract. I suspect that some sort of contra deal has been struck between Ponies/ARU and Eagles for Staniforth. I would expect that an arrangement to cover their "usual salary" may be agreed like happened a year or two back between Bay of Plenty ITM cup team and Reds for the services of Beau Robinson.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I suspect that some sort of contra deal has been struck between Ponies/ARU and Eagles for Staniforth. I would expect that an arrangement to cover their "usual salary" may be agreed.
Not sure that's happening yet, but it's certainly what they should be aiming for mid- to long-term. And I'd reckon circa 15k minimum to the player (maybe 12k on the tight-arse option while things are transitioning from oily rag status) for any Supe guys who have to relocate. For an experienced player, more like $20k+.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
One of my apprentices played last year in the NRC and he only got $3k. He was in the main squad and started or came off the bench in every game. Good travel etc if you're a youngster and have a sympathetic boss. He missed a few days here and there, but was able to keep his job while playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My understanding is that the Super players don't get paid specifically for any games they play, but are expected to kit up within the total value of their Super contract. Of course, that means the Super Franchise is effectively paying them for any games they play, which would also be a factor I think in any arrangement for a player to turn out with another NRC side.

T

TOCC

A big issue/cost identified from the ARC was that Super Rugby players were been offered quite significant wages for the ARC which was separate from their Super Rugby contract. In essence, some super rugby players were been paid 2 wages to play in the ARC.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
One of my apprentices played last year in the NRC and he only got $3k. He was in the main squad and started or came off the bench in every game. Good travel etc if you're a youngster and have a sympathetic boss. He missed a few days here and there, but was able to keep his job while playing.

How much training were they doing Blindsider? Just after work?
After it was revealed that there was a vast difference in "salaries" offered in NRC ver 1.0, with some players receiving nothing more than a handshake and a kind word ( access to supplements, gyms, dietary advice, and S&C programmes excluded), I believe that RUPA and ARU have mandated for NRC 2.0 that the minimum NRC "salary" is to be $400. This would hardly pay for petrol or public transport to get to and from training. The word on the street is that there is still a fairly wide discrepancy between what individuals are being "paid".

$5000 seems to be a "ball park" figure that is being bandied about for a Premier Club player, but there are apparently many getting less, and some on more.

When the Eagles are worried about a $20k bill to use the Waratahs facilities last year, it suggests that the "player salary" component of their balance sheet is not particularly large.

I'd reckon most coaches are getting not more than a free Polo shirt and a couple of tickets to home games. The Super Contracted Players, Coaches and other staff would still be getting their usual salary from their Club especially when they are playing for a NRC team that is associated with their Super Club.

Could be a bit murky where the player is playing for a NRC team associated with another Super Club, but I think Staniforth is the only one in that situation. Most of the others. like Chibba Hanson, Caderyn Neville, Tom Kingston, Jed Gillespie etc are between or off contract. I suspect that some sort of contra deal has been struck between Ponies/ARU and Eagles for Staniforth. I would expect that an arrangement to cover their "usual salary" may be agreed like happened a year or two back between Bay of Plenty ITM cup team and Reds for the services of Beau Robinson.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
How much training were they doing Blindsider? Just after work?

They were training every day. 90% of their sessions were after 5pm, which was deliberate, as it allowed most of those working normal jobs, time to get there.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)

Is this for real? Same this year?

I read on here that the Waratahs are contributing next to nothing to the NRC, but surely they see this comp as beneficial to identifying their future talent and creating depth.......

They should be rolling out the red carpet to help all 4 Sydney teams...

Crazy if true....

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
You have to remember this was a club that had no idea of it's cash flow and how much it would take in it's gate in the first season.

Two years in they should be getting a little more idea. Good to see the Rays and Rams make some sensible decisions and play home games at local club grounds hopefully they take all the revenue as well and not the club as they could struggle to make ends meet if they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.