• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I said it in the ideas thread, but start the season with a NSW double header. Make it a celebration of grassroots rugby with people encouraged to go in their club jerseys or colours. Cheap tickets, various food and craft beer tents, maybe a band, perhaps a high quality sevens match between the two main games. If the Waratahs don't want to be too involved in the NRC then this could be their one job - to make this event happen and get 10k people to it.

There could be a Queensland double header too, with both Brisbane and Country each playing an interstate team at Ballymore - with a similar focus on making it a bit of an event.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good ideas but I reckon fox will continue to want a GF replay on the Thursday night of next season so put in a Brisbane v Canberra match up from Ballymore as the first game of NRC 2016.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It is hard for clubs who use a cricket oval - Randwick, Norths, Gordon, Manly although not Uni anymore if their new ground is ready.

If it's less than 6 teams, then they could play their first game away.

For training, they each front up with a bag full of cash to the Waratahs in those early weeks.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
On some level I would be happy with limited or incremental let the Rugby gods decide through evolution.

But the level of engagement by the Waratahs towards the NSW franchises are a worry and the possible two speed competition.
Will there be a reaction in 2017 when the Waratahs believe they have given up a competitive advantage for Super Rugby to the other four Australian Super Rugby sides.
The rusult will be to bring them back or help raise the standard for the NSW franchise. What I am afraid of if they pick winners and help only 2 franchises.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another thing - if the Shute Shield can get itself on FTA once a week, then surely some sort of similar deal could be done to get 1 game per week of NRC on FTA.

I don't even think Fox would mind. The NRC is not a premium product, and they can only benefit from more people starting to watch the competition.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What I am afraid of if they pick winners and help only 2 franchises.
Yeah, maybe. But that's still two more than are getting help now.

I think the Brumbies need to step up too. They will be the strongest Australian team next season.

If it's good enough for the Reds (and as people are arguing, the Tahs) to support more than one NRC team, then it should be good enough for the Brumbies. Not necessarily in terms of cash money (although it would be good) but at least in terms of providing more players, and perhaps a training staffer to assist their season and so on, for which a NSW NRC side (or sides) would have to pay to relocate for a few months.

At least then the Tahs help goes from 0 NRC teams to 2 and Brums from 1 to 2.

But in terms of picking winners, if it came to that then you'd probably look at a merger instead of throwing a club away.

However, if they all believe they've got the money, resources and support to be competitive, then let them play in the market.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good ideas but I reckon fox will continue to want a GF replay on the Thursday night of next season so put in a Brisbane v Canberra match up from Ballymore as the first game of NRC 2016.

Then have the NSW double header in week 1 and the QLD double header in week 2 (or another week).

The NRC needs some 'events' IMO. At the moment it really just has the QLD derby that has any little bit of event status.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
The bye has to go. The competition at some points has seemed to drag along. ITM Cup they play one more game than the NRC (10 matches) and they go for exactly the same amount of time. Either 8 or 10 teams I reckon are needed. With either midweek games or with one or two games every day from Thursday to Sunday.

Also the three point conversion should be dropped. Scoreline gets a bit ridiculous in some matches. 2 points for all kicks I reckon would be about right, with 5 points still for a try.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I work with about 15 other people at my work and am pretty sure I am the only one who knows the NRC exists.

The ARU needs to get it's marketing people to put together short edited "sports news" articles that can be dropped off at commercial networks to be played in the news broadcasts.

I think the Reds have shown how the teams should have been run and the competition needs to be rebuilt around Super Rugby franchises.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am confused about how Perth goes about the NRC. Last year the debate Melb v Perth which way ahead. This year no clearer.

T

TOCC

Also the three point conversion should be dropped. Scoreline gets a bit ridiculous in some matches. 2 points for all kicks I reckon would be about right, with 5 points still for a try.

the scoreline have more to do with the number of tries scored rather then the value of the conversion. Lowering the value of the conversion risks reducing the importance of the kicker, the rule variations have detracted from the value of the penalty goal but the was offset through the increased value of the conversion. I don't think you can lower the value of the conversion without decreasing the importance of having a good kicker in the team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Another thing - if the Shute Shield can get itself on FTA once a week, then surely some sort of similar deal could be done to get 1 game per week of NRC on FTA.

I don't even think Fox would mind. The NRC is not a premium product, and they can only benefit from more people starting to watch the competition.

Agree and getting them potentially as an entree interested in Super Rugby - which of course only is available on Foxtel

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Didn't Fox only agree to cover and fund the NRC in return for exclusive access to Super Rugby. I am not sure that the NRC is in a strong position as I believe ratings have been underwhelming?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Didn't Fox only agree to cover and fund the NRC in return for exclusive access to Super Rugby. I am not sure that the NRC is in a strong position as I believe ratings have been underwhelming?

Yes you are correct.....Foxtel calls the shots here as key financial supporter....and can't see probably Foxtel allowing this

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Any ideas on viewer numbers for NRC on foxtel - are they happy with viewer numbers...?

The would not surprise me all games on TV (Foxtel) comment surprised me...good if was to happen

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Omar getting some or one game of NRC per week on free to air makes some sense - even if delayed game would be good from a potential to get access to wider market to market the game and get wider exposure.

Foxtel would have to see it worth their while to agree from commercial perspective in terms of benefits to them which may be there (ie market rugby and super rugby players who play where can only watch on foxtel - but bit flimsy perhaps).....

We are back to key challenge is to market the game to grow fans who attend and more importantly eyeballs watching on TV. But chicken and egg as to get the fans need to make sure got right product and then awareness of the product and trial of the product. Not sure got product quite right but probably bigger challenge has been getting the awareness and trial of the product.