• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Loosies? OK I'm looking from the outside-in (Reds fan living in Sydney) but in Aus we seem to produce 7's like we are standing kids in manure in some kind of magic 7 production farm. 8's not so much, but right now that doesn't seem to be an issue. And there seems enough to cover 6.

Aussie locks continue to worry me. Though surely the Tahs are looking good right now.

If anything he Australian lock situation is looking the healthiest in a long while. Simmons, Douglas, Neville, Arnold, Carter, Enever, Jones, Timani, Cummins, Jeffries, Coleman etc

The Tahs have very little depth however, the lineout struggled last year with only 2 viable lineout options in Potgeiter and Dennis. I expect Holloway to start at 8 and have have Mumm and Dennis as the other options. With Lousi as the only cover (no Chapman) I can see a very long year ahead. the Brumbies and the Rebels have fast become the two most impressive squads in the Aussie conference. We seriously need to pull a lock out of our Khyber pass. Anybody see a decent NRC prospect? Richie Arnold? Senio Toleofoa?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Did Ben Matwijo (shocking spelling I know) play as a lock for Canterbury in the ITM final? An outstanding player and maybe an outside chance

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Matt Philip from the Stars has been very good and is really the only likely lock to advance to Super Rugby from the NSW teams. I think the Waratahs will want to put themselves in the best position, in a year or two, to nab the young talent like Ryan McCauley coming out of school this year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did Ben Matwijo (shocking spelling I know) play as a lock for Canterbury in the ITM final? An outstanding player and maybe an outside chance

Off the bench. Don't know where you've gotten outstanding from however.

The Tahs are in a good position with their locks. Dean Mumm and Will Skelton were in the original RWC squad. That means on logic, they already have better locks than the Brumbies, Rebels and Force. Add in Same Lousi who has look promising and it's not all that bad. We do need a 4th but I'm not convinced Phillip is that good, seems a little short for Super Rugby.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yep. Mentioned here last week. See post #813 on this thread.

Has the news just reached Queensland, MHCS? Do try and keep up..... :cool:

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Has the news just reached Queensland, MHCS? Do try and keep up... :cool:
Daylight savings issue.

So if Mario Ledesma who worked with the Tahs this year didn't advocate for Ala'alatoa to be included in the match day squad - not one single time, and noting Cheik's respect for the scrum doctor - can the pundits be really surprised we've set him loose? I've seen him touched up in Shute Shield and NRC enough times to assume he was only ever going to be an emergency prop anyway - I'll take advice on whether he was likely to improve at a better rate than Sandell or Robertson might.

Another Nemani Nadolo, needing a different environment to flourish?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, that is on the assessment of him being worse than Tilse and Ryan.

A thought I struggle with.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ala'alatoa was the best prop in the whole ITM Cup, that includes at scrum time and around the park.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I thought we'd learnt to be patient with the development of props, the kid's only 24 fer Godsake. Although our patience has been sorely tested with the continuing development of Tilse: will he come good in his late 30s? Surely, this was the opportunity to see if another LHP was worthy of Jeremy's Tah spot. Ah well, it's only a one year contract.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So the Crusaders have switched Zac Guildford by Volavola, Michael Ala'alatoa and Pete Samu. Good move by them. For some reason they are the most succesful Super Rugby franchise

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought we'd learnt to be patient with the development of props, the kid's only 24 fer Godsake. Although our patience has been sorely tested with the continuing development of Tilse: will he come good in his late 30s? Surely, this was the opportunity to see if another LHP was worthy of Jeremy's Tah spot. Ah well, it's only a one year contract.

One would think that something wasn't right with his development as far as the Tahs were concerned, between Ledesma, Cheika and Grey there are some reasonable judges of talent and attitude I would guess.

Tilse is an enigma, he is the epitome of skill vs attitude, he must have a load of the right attitude.

But try to sleep at night with the scenario of Fatcat going down and starting Tilse all season tumbling around - a true nightmare scenario, especially with Ryan at THP.

That Uni frontrow has never looked a weapon

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
So the Crusaders have switched Zac Guildford by Volavola, Michael Ala'alatoa and Pete Samu. Good move by them. For some reason they are the most succesful Super Rugby franchise

I can't argue that they have been the most successful franchise but they have not won since 2008 and now they have lost the 2 best players of this generation. I don't think any Australian Super Rugby side will be that worried to face up to any of these 3 players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unless information comes to light otherwise, it can't really be considered that Ala'alatoa was simply unwanted by the Waratahs.

He certainly wasn't a starter and went seeking more opportunity in the ITM Cup. Hopefully within a few years it becomes more enticing to stay and play NRC than go to the ITM Cup when both those opportunities are presented.

Presumably he thinks he's going to get more matchday experience at the Crusaders in 2016 than he would at the Waratahs.

The Waratahs still need to sign another prop on a full contract for 2016 by the look of the current squad (effectively Ala'alatoa's spot). Tilse really doesn't seem to be denying anyone a spot. You'd imagine that as soon as a LHP shows they are better than Tilse he'll lose his spot in the regular matchday squad.

frenchman

Bob McCowan (2)
Did anyone else see on the tahs Twitter they had a gen blue induction day? Do they ever name these squads? There always seems to be an element of secrecy around them unlike the other super rugby sides.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
One would think that something wasn't right with his development as far as the Tahs were concerned, between Ledesma, Cheika and Grey there are some reasonable judges of talent and attitude I would guess.

Tilse is an enigma, he is the epitome of skill vs attitude, he must have a load of the right attitude.

But try to sleep at night with the scenario of Fatcat going down and starting Tilse all season tumbling around - a true nightmare scenario, especially with Ryan at THP.

That Uni frontrow has never looked a weapon

Can people get this right;
Tilse is a LHP, Alalaatoa is now a THP. They are on different sides of the scrum, if Ala'alatoa was to be added into the Tahs front row stocks he would have to overtake Ryan, Taavao and also Robertson in that position.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is good news for the Tahs (and Wallabies) surely?

"NTT Docomo Red Hurricanes cancel registration of @IzzyFolau for 2015-16 Top League season so he can receive treatment for an injury. #rugby"

Better him recuperating here and being fresh for 2016. Probably should just have round 1 off at least though.

Good news for Australian Rugby! :p

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
It's also believed that Wycliff Palu's registration has also been turned down after failing his medical abroad. Will he return to the Tahs?

Status
Not open for further replies.