• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Final - Australia v New Zealand, Twickenham, Sunday 1 November, 3:00 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Yes I came over when the Wobs were there last year but that was to help bring about 50 kids over!

Good luck with your search, sounds like the Knickerbocker might be on the money anyway.

sounds like yousa schoolteacher then. Hope the kids got a blast from it. (pretty well ALL the kids I saw had their izzy posters. From that perspective alone he has massively helped australian rugby, esp considering a percentage of younguns will stay with the game. get 'em young and all that)

Geez, you would have thought a venue would be trumpeting that they are playing the game live wouldn't you (after all, you would only stay open if you thought it was commercially viable)

Can find nothing on the net re knickerbocker. Their ad man should be fired (unless it is the waitress behind the counter). Fail.

However, the edinboro IS playing live so may as well stop there.

https://www.facebook.com/Edinboro-Castle-Hotel-168023599911906/

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some supporters of the NZRT are being chippy - it's as though the match is already in the bag.

I really haven't seen that. They would be mad not to be confident (9 wins out of last 10 games) but these are still professionals.

Disregard - I read that wrong.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Individuals aren't going to matter as much as team.

Seriously how fucking long is this week?

Fair point PFitzy... are the All Blacks playing as a team these days? with solo entities operating such as Nonu & SBW... Along with Four retiring old ABs in the same match... me thinks they'll all be a little bit like the ring obessed Gollum come game time... expect for Carter the wizard...

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Seriously how fucking long is this week?

So bad - I woke up this morning sure it was Friday. I took the bins out and everything only to discover I was a day early. The analysis is almost moot at this point:
  • We know the Wabs win will be paying $2.50 plus and that is probably a reasonable logical assessment of their statistical chances
  • We know that Folau's ankle and performance will likely be a turning point
  • We know that Pocock will be a force to be reckoned with
  • We know Sir McCaw will be a force to be reckoned with
  • We know the ABs have some of their heroic veterans retiring which will either be a motivator or a psych-out
  • We know the Wallabies are hungry for greatness and victory against a team that has consistently beaten them but don't know whether this is a motivator or a psych-out
  • We know the wallabies have won a series of the toughest games ever played in a World Cup -but don't know whether this leaves them battle hardened or battle weary
  • We know the ABs have been substantially tested twice, Argentina and RSA - whether this is proof of their sublime abilities or means they are not battle hardened we don't know.
  • We know the narrative of the Wallabies winning is more compelling given their redemption story and the fierce battles they have had to get here
  • We know the narrative of the almighty ABs finally winning back to back trophies as proof of their greatness is still fairly compelling
  • We know Owens is a great referee but Australia historically has a hard time with him (noting correlation is not causation)
  • We know Hansen is a crafty devil
  • We know Cheika is a very crafty devil
  • We know it will be a great game
  • We know there will be tears afterwards
  • We know there will be beers afterwards
  • We know that all the analysis in the world won't change the bounce of a chip kick or the final score
Apologies for long post, this is basically therapy for me at this point.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm so fucking nervous about this game that I'm about to lose my shit at any moment. In my 30+ years of watching the Wallabies I can't remember a bigger game for them. Sure the 1991 and 1999 finals were huge, so was the grand slam winning game in 1984 and Eden Park in 1986, but this feels bigger to me and we were favourites in three out of four of those games. It's going to be a monumental battle and I don't expect there to be a lot of free flowing rugby. It will be extremely tight, on very slim margins.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
So bad - I woke up this morning sure it was Friday. I took the bins out and everything only to discover I was a day early. The analysis is almost moot at this point:
  • We know the Wabs win will be paying $2.50 plus and that is probably a reasonable logical assessment of their statistical chances
  • We know that Folau's ankle and performance will likely be a turning point
  • We know that Pocock will be a force to be reckoned with
  • We know Sir McCaw will be a force to be reckoned with
  • We know the ABs have some of their heroic veterans retiring which will either be a motivator or a psych-out
  • We know the Wallabies are hungry for greatness and victory against a team that has consistently beaten them but don't know whether this is a motivator or a psych-out
  • We know the wallabies have won a series of the toughest games ever played in a World Cup -but don't know whether this leaves them battle hardened or battle weary
  • We know the ABs have been substantially tested twice, Argentina and RSA - whether this is proof of their sublime abilities or means they are not battle hardened we don't know.
  • We know the narrative of the Wallabies winning is more compelling given their redemption story and the fierce battles they have had to get here
  • We know the narrative of the almighty ABs finally winning back to back trophies as proof of their greatness is still fairly compelling
  • We know Owens is a great referee but Australia historically has a hard time with him (noting correlation is not causation)
  • We know Hansen is a crafty devil
  • We know Cheika is a very crafty devil
  • We know it will be a great game
  • We know there will be tears afterwards
  • We know there will be beers afterwards
  • We know that all the analysis in the world won't change the bounce of a chip kick or the final score
Apologies for long post, this is basically therapy for me at this point.
Better than my morning. I woke up from a nightmare where the Uruk-hai won by two points. Fark. I had the same sense of dread that I did as that Scottish bloke intercepted Slipper two weeks ago.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I'm so fucking nervous about this game that I'm about to lose my shit at any moment. In my 30+ years of watching the Wallabies I can't remember a bigger game for them. Sure the 1991 and 1999 finals were huge, so was the grand slam winning game in 1984 and Eden Park in 1986, but this feels bigger to me and we were favourites in three out of four of those games. It's going to be a monumental battle and I don't expect there to be a lot of free flowing rugby. It will be extremely tight, on very slim margins.

I remember the 03 final very clearly.

I was at a rowing camp in Geelong and we were staying at some riverside caravan park. As Tuquiri scored over Robinson *the whole* park erupted in cheers and what seemed like every van, tent or cabin emptied. Strangers high-fiving and hugging.

Fuck Wilkinson for spoiling that party.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Agree with a lot of that but I reckon it's a bit generous to Hooper, Foley, Moore and Kuridrani.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tex, their class is what's making them favourites, not their form. Hooper has been everywhere, whereas Richie hasn't been more than a quality player. Carter had one big game, but Foley's was bigger. Smith and Kuridrani have both been quiet. Likewise Moore and Coles.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Hang on, if they were selected on class you'd pick the Kiwis every day of the week. You could argue Moore has less to prove than Coles, but Coles has been in pretty useful form this season.

Kuridrani, Foley and Hooper can't hold a candle to their opposite numbers, as much as it pains me to admit it.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Hang on, if they were selected on class you'd pick the Kiwis every day of the week. You could argue Moore has less to prove than Coles, but Coles has been in pretty useful form this season.

Kuridrani, Foley and Hooper can't hold a candle to their opposite numbers, as much as it pains me to admit it.

Yes, that's my point. If I was picking a team on class then they'd almost all be Kiwis. My picks were based on what they've shown in this World Cup. B-minus overall on form, compared to our B, in my opinion.

Hooper not holding a candle to Macaw is a statement about Macaw's class over time, not the games he's played in this tournament. Hooper has been everywhere. Macaw's been quiet.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would assume the Daily Telegraph (tabloid Sydney version, not broadsheet London version).
uploadfromtaptalk1446090765489.png

Interesting that the Daily Telegraph journo behind the Richety Grub story seems to be one of them.

We're getting stitched up from the inside here!

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I see it as quite even, on form:

Scott Sio vs. Joe Moody AUS
Stephen Moore vs. Dane Coles EVEN
Sekope Kepu vs. Owen Franks AUS
Kane Douglas vs. Brodie Retallick NZ
Rob Simmons vs. Sam Whitelock NZ
Scott Fardy vs. Jerome Kaino AUS
Michael Hooper vs. Richie McCaw EVEN
David Pocock vs. Kieran Read AUS
Will Genia vs. Aaron Smith NZ
Bernard Foley vs. Dan Carter EVEN
Drew Mitchell vs. Julian Savea NZ
Matt Giteau vs. Ma'a Nonu NZ
Tevita Kuridrani vs. Conrad Smith EVEN
Adam Ashley-Cooper vs. Nehe Milner-Skudder EVEN
Isreal Folau vs. Ben Smith NZ

Aus 4 vs. NZ 6. Would be 5-5 if Folau was at his best.

Tatafu Polota-Nau vs. Keven Mealamu AUS
James Slipper vs. Ben Franks EVEN
Greg Holmes vs. Charlie Faumuina EVEN
Dean Mumm vs. Victor Vito EVEN
Sean McMahon vs. Sam Cane EVEN
Nick Phipps vs. Tawera Kerr-Barlow EVEN
Matt To'omua vs. Beauden Barrett EVEN
Kurtley Beale vs. Sonny Bill Williams EVEN

Aus 1 vs. NZ 0

Michael Cheika vs. Steve Hansen EVEN

I might have that NZ team wrong, but that looks like a likely Wobs.

I know you a bit of a wallaby homer, which is fine, but you're being incredibly generous towards Fardy, Moore, Kepu, and probably all the forwards on the bench. Leaving aside the set pieces and rucks and mauls, the AB forwards have been significantly superior to ours (and everyone else's to be fair) in general play - drawing the man, passing, catching, linking up. It has been a major source of points for them for some time, and our guys are pretty ordinary in comparison.

Pocock is playing out of position, and he's not better at No 8 than Read IMO.

Jfunk

Frank Row (1)
I see it as quite even, on form:

Scott Sio vs. Joe Moody AUS
Stephen Moore vs. Dane Coles EVEN
Sekope Kepu vs. Owen Franks AUS
Kane Douglas vs. Brodie Retallick NZ
Rob Simmons vs. Sam Whitelock NZ
Scott Fardy vs. Jerome Kaino AUS
Michael Hooper vs. Richie McCaw EVEN
David Pocock vs. Kieran Read AUS
Will Genia vs. Aaron Smith NZ
Bernard Foley vs. Dan Carter EVEN
Drew Mitchell vs. Julian Savea NZ
Matt Giteau vs. Ma'a Nonu NZ
Tevita Kuridrani vs. Conrad Smith EVEN
Adam Ashley-Cooper vs. Nehe Milner-Skudder EVEN
Isreal Folau vs. Ben Smith NZ

Aus 4 vs. NZ 6. Would be 5-5 if Folau was at his best.

Tatafu Polota-Nau vs. Keven Mealamu AUS
James Slipper vs. Ben Franks EVEN
Greg Holmes vs. Charlie Faumuina EVEN
Dean Mumm vs. Victor Vito EVEN
Sean McMahon vs. Sam Cane EVEN
Nick Phipps vs. Tawera Kerr-Barlow EVEN
Matt To'omua vs. Beauden Barrett EVEN
Kurtley Beale vs. Sonny Bill Williams EVEN

Aus 1 vs. NZ 0

Michael Cheika vs. Steve Hansen EVEN

I might have that NZ team wrong, but that looks like a likely Wobs.

Nice comparison, but it lacks one piece. Need to add;

Nigel Owens.....NZ easily

Status
Not open for further replies.