• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'm surprised to hear that. There can't be too much abc bias on the tv. I watch abc mornings pretty much every day, and I can literally name one afl player that isn't Adam Goodes. They talk about it occasionally, I even watch a game once in a while, but I tune out.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...me-lessons-from-the-code-20151027-gkjbcu.html

a very positive article from Roy, who isn't known for giving a great wrap to other codes.

That said I am sure the union media will return the favour.

There have been plenty of articles over the years by rugby journalists acknowledging what we have learned from loig. The defensive systems in particular. Also conditioning,

We do acknowledge that loig, having been openly professional for its entire existence, and having been subsidised heavily poker machine revenue in the sixties and seventies in particular, was able to employ paid expert staff.

Rugby, by contrast, was a part time game until it went professional. Until then, international teams were not allowed to assemble and train for a Test match until 48 hours before the gsme took place.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Mate, when I lived offshore, I used to go berserk at the bias in Radio Australia's sports coverage.

In winter it was AFL all the bloody way. I got stuck into them about it, and they said that they knew that nobody except Australians cared about the sport, but some very influential people gave them a hard time if they gave other codes a look in.

Precisely what I was going at.

If you want to discuss media rubbish the AFL's control and throat shoving is far more relevant.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
because they dont care.

They also dont praise RU either.

Rugby has been played in Melbourne for many, many years. The GPS schools have a competition. Ewen McKenzie is an old boy of Scotch College.

"Weary" Dunlop, one of our greatest war heroes, and an outstanding player whose Wallaby career was cut short by war, is a born and bred Victorian, and Victoria actually beat NSW before the war under his leadership.

Even before our game went pro and the Rebels were established, something like 40 Victorians had played for the Wallabies over the years.

Ted Ballieu, the last Victorian premier bar one, is a rugby tragic. I think you might be surprised at how deep our roots go in Melbourne.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Im not knocking RU's roots or its place in the Victorian or other media.

Just saying AFL influenced people or media outlets will not touch RU no matter if the wallabies beat NZ through a last minute try.

Whether that person is in Victoria or Sydney.

not speaking state specifically, not everyone in Victoria is in love with the AFL despite what their media would have you believe.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
At least the AFL media is honest - its AFL and nothing else. It galls me when I see ARL types, who ignore and/or ridicule RU during the year, now wearing wallaby scarves or jumping on the bandwagon now they have made the final of what would be one of the top world wide sporting events e.g Tony Squires and Paul Kent from the Back Page

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
At least the AFL media is honest - its AFL and nothing else. It galls me when I see ARL types, who ignore and/or ridicule RU during the year, now wearing wallaby scarves or jumping on the bandwagon now they have made the final of what would be one of the top world wide sporting events e.g Tony Squires and Paul Kent from the Back Page

Well... except that Dave Smith bloke - they fired him for going to the rugby and supporting his homeland...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He enjoys the panto villian thing when it comes to QLD I reckon. They get a bit frothy over ORRRRRRJN and its no surprise given their run of success.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
To be honest, I've probably always been coloured by some of other rumours about him. I enjoy watching him play, but I've always got that stuff at the back of my head. Which is probably a bit unfair.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Kind of going the other way around, The Guardian had a piece called "What rugby league should learn from the success of the Rugby World Cup" (which is coming from an England rugby league perspective)
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/30/rugby-league-learn-rugby-world-cup

TL/DR -- the bullet points:
  • Playing internationals is more important than anything else
  • England success is key to raising league's profile
  • They need more rugby league on free TV
  • Tournaments have the most public impact
  • Take the game to the countries that want it (Serbia, Papua New Guinea, Pacific Islands, Jamaica, Canada)
  • Don't worry about eligibility
  • To get to the top table you have to do it tough (duhhh)
  • Help other nations develop with England's rugby league brainpower (and parts of Sydney and Queensland laugh)
  • Let fans plan ahead for major events (duhhh)
  • Play club games during international tournaments
  • Pair fixtures to venues to ensure sell-outs
  • League is starting to use union tactics -- maintain that (like tactical kicking)
  • Let the centres be creative in the midfield

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be honest, I've probably always been coloured by some of other rumours about him. I enjoy watching him play, but I've always got that stuff at the back of my head. Which is probably a bit unfair.

Still definitely a grub & possibly a drug cheat, but................

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
The NRL can do little to improve English Rugby League, the nation is shit at sport when it comes to the big stage, why would rugby league be any different.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
well we have an experiment on our hands now. How will burgess be explained/talked about by the league media. Honest and impartial, or (the premise of the thread) a way to put the boot in.

Note, when judging these things we need to have our impartial scientific hat on. Ie, honest and impartial ourselves.

Not like the lying scum of the league media hahaha, oops sorry, my hat fell off then.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It has seemed to be pretty fair so far, from what I've read. Most people acknowledge that he struggled with the game (although you hear some idiots saying he was England's best player...) but that even making the world cup squad was a significant achievement. The main rhetoric is about how poorly he was treated by the media, which is a fair observation.

Hopefully this episode dissuades a few people from jumping ship - I've been sick of the whole circus since about 2004.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The NRL can do little to improve English Rugby League, the nation is shit at sport when it comes to the big stage, why would rugby league be any different.

The nation is poor at team sport, there have been a lot of wonderful individual athletes over the years.

Maybe it's something to do with the vestiges of the class system, but genuine teamwork seems to be beyond them

It has always fascinated me that their best post-war rugby achievement, the 2003 RWC, was led by a captain who played in New Zealand as a young man, and coached by a chap who played club rugby in Sydney (for Manly) for five years.

But, who can forget some of the fabulous teams that the Northern code turned out in the fifties and sixties, with players like Ashton, Murphy, McTigue, and Karalius?

Status
Not open for further replies.