• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Final - Australia v New Zealand, Twickenham, Sunday 1 November, 3:00 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Remember that the flipside of the situation would have been:

"ARU in financial distress after offering huge incentive bonuses to the Wallabies for winning the RWC with no ability to pay for it."

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Cheika got the WR (World Rugby) Coach of the Year

EDIT: sorry, just saw there's a special thread for this, doesn't hurt to announce it again though!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK ladies, you'll be needing these:

korean-handbag.jpeg

HayFarmer

Bob McCowan (2)
teach said
He wasn't speared into the ground. He was not dropped from a height. So red card is out.

He did lift the leg and the player's upper body hit the ground first. So he got a yellow. No problem there. It was silly play and by the look in his face, Bender knew it.

Its not an automatic red card anymore. Your game management guidelines may be out of date.
Teach, grass roots guidelines must be different from the IRB's on dangerous play as the Aust Game Management Guidelines I quoted were 2015? I think Bender will be lucky not to get cited for that tackle. If so, are the IRB going down the rugby league path where refs haven't got the balls to bring out cards during a match & pass the buck to the judiciary to penalise post match?
For mine, a tip tackle is a tip whether it's 6 inches off the ground or 2 foot. It's dangerous play & refs must jump on it strongly.

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
While some Owens decisions favoured the AB’s let’s not overlook the ones that benefitted the Wallabies.
Kepu was lucky to dodge a yellow with his second tackle on Carter, but the biggest faux par was not reviewing Pocock stepping on McCaw’s face. Now I know most Aussies will say: McCaw had it coming, Pocock would never deliberately do that, it was accidental, etc, but have a good look.
Pocock had just looked down to lift his foot clear of McCaw’s grasp, then looked up for a second before replanting his foot exactly where he had just seen McCaw’s head. Also take into account the left foot is placed in an unnatural position given his weight distribution and the direction he is heading. It was the Aussie contingent in our viewing group who decided after multiple viewings that it looked to be deliberate.

It’s disappointing for me because I’ve always admired David Pocock and had him as my pick for IRB player of the year!

So Owens might have saved you guys from a yellow AND a red card.

I’d say advantage Australia there!!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
re about the ref????

th

I love it how the Kiwi posters on this site are acting like we're all being children by talking about the refereeing of the final, when the game was less than 2 days ago.

If I'm not mistaken, for at least 8 years every time someone brings up New Zealand's loss to France in 2007, all we hear from the New Zealand fans is that Barnes fucked up by not calling one forward pass. Yet we're told to get over it 2 days after a shattering defeat. please.

In reflecting on this game I think it's more than fair to reflect on the refereeing performance because its an important part of rugby. I think the discussion on this forum from Wallaby fans has been for the most part been very respectful and fair. I cant remember reading any posts saying Nigel Owens cost us the game. In fact the sentiment has been fairly unanimous that the Kiwis deserved their win. But as a Wallaby fan reflecting on our performance with pride in our comeback, its fair for us to point to the fact that things really didn't go our way in this game, due in part to some unfortunate injuries early in the game and in part to the fact that some tough calls went against us.

My close kiwi mates have all conceded that most of the 50/50 calls/moments went their way. Any kiwi fan on here now trying to paint the picture otherwise, is just as sad as those few wallaby supporters suggesting it cost us the game. One team will always get the rub of the green - that was clearly New Zealand - but that's life isn't it.

On another night perhaps things could have been different, and that's what a lot of the Wallaby fans that watched would have felt after the game. I certainly did.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Teach, grass roots guidelines must be different from the IRB's on dangerous play as the Aust Game Management Guidelines I quoted were 2015? I think Bender will be lucky not to get cited for that tackle. If so, are the IRB going down the rugby league path where refs haven't got the balls to bring out cards during a match & pass the buck to the judiciary to penalise post match?
For mine, a tip tackle is a tip whether it's 6 inches off the ground or 2 foot. It's dangerous play & refs must jump on it strongly.

Lifted from:
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...-issues-statement-on-Tip-or-Spear-tackle.aspx

The coloured text is my addition.

IRB ISSUES STATEMENT ON 'TIP OR SPEAR' TACKLE

10/16/2011
By www.rugbyworldcup.com (IRB)

The International Rugby Board has issued a statement of clarification regarding the Tip or Spear tackle.
Law 10.4(j) reads: Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
A directive was issued to all Unions and Match Officials in 2009 emphasizing the IRB’s zero-tolerance stance towards dangerous tackles and reiterating the following instructions for referees:
- The player is lifted and then forced or ‘speared’ into the ground (red card offence)
- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety (red card offence)
- For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles a yellow card or penalty may be considered sufficient
Regular directives to Unions, Match Officials and Judicial Officers have been issued to reinforce the IRB’s zero-tolerance stance regarding dangerous tackles and the promotion of player welfare.
The policy was again reiterated to team officials at a Team Managers seminar in Auckland two weeks before the start of Rugby World Cup and during the Tournament and there have been a number of other Tip Tackle cases at Rugby World Cup 2011.

It was a tip/spear tackle. Yes. Not disputing that. I think it was a shit tackle that went bad, rather than intentionally trying to do it, but intention doesn't matter.

He was not forced into the ground.

He was not dropped from a height with no regard to safety. Smith did not let him go until he had hit the ground.

Therefore yellow card is warranted. His punishment meets IRB guidelines perfectly. He got carded in the game so not sure where the comparison to that other ridiculous game comes in.

We will know by tomorrow who is correct as the citing window will have passed.

This is my opinion and my interpretation of the rules. Clearly because it is an AB I see things differently. We could argue forever but since I am right there is no point:).

Smiley face so you know it is not a big deal to me. I just think this was one call the ref/TMO got 100% correct. But I also think that now is not the time for me to be on an Australian rugby fan site arguing rules and interpretation after the RWC final, so I will bow out of this argument for the time being.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
all we hear from the New Zealand fans is that Barnes fucked up by not calling one forward pass.

Actually the thing that shits me the most about that incident is people claiming it was just 'one forward pass' missed and not, y'know - the unprecedented and never repeated hour of faultless play by France to not concede a single penalty despite being under the pump in their own 22 for the vast majority of the time.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Actually the thing that shits me the most about that incident is people claiming it was just 'one forward pass' missed and not, y'know - the unprecedented and never repeated hour of faultless play by France to not concede a single penalty despite being under the pump in their own 22 for the vast majority of the time.

Well you just proved my point. I make a comment about 2007 and your response is to make a point of Barnes' inept refereeing.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I love it how the Kiwi poster on this site are acting like we'll all being children by talking about the refereeing of the final, when the game was less than 2 days ago.

If I'm not mistaken, for at least 8 years every time someone brings up New Zealand's loss to France in 2007, all we hear from the New Zealand fans is that Barnes fucked up by not calling one forward pass. Yet we're told to get over it 2 days after a shattering defeat. please.

In reflecting on this game I think it's more than fair to reflect on the refereeing performance because its an important part of rugby. I think the discussion on this forum from Wallaby fans has been for the most part been very respectful and fair. I cant remember reading any posts saying Nigel Owens cost us the game. In fact the sentiment has been fairly unanimous that the Kiwis deserved their win. But as a Wallaby fan reflecting on our performance with pride in our comeback, its fair for us to point to the fact that things really didn't go our way in this game, due in part to some unfortunate injuries early in the game and in part to the fact that some tough calls went against us.

My close kiwi mates have all conceded that most of the 50/50 calls/moments went their way. Any kiwi fans on here now trying to paint the picture otherwise, is just as sad as those few wallaby supporters suggesting it cost us the game. One team will always get the rub of the green - that was clearly New Zealand - but that's life isn't it.

On another night perhaps things could have been different, and that's what a lot of the Wallaby fans that watched would have felt after the game. I certainly did.

Go back through all my posts and see if I've ever talked about Barnes. I've been here long enough. Go over to the Silverfern as well.

And I don't think I'm the only poster that is over the ref whinging especially when there's so much more to discuss about the test.

The whole "rub of the green" is just rubbish. Play the game down the right end of the field, make and execute your plays, win your lineouts and scrums, tackle the house down and get quick ball and play at pace is what was needed. Not some supposed genie with a whistle.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Er, no - my point was that if you're saying 'Get over it', you should probably understand what you're expecting someone to get over.

If you repeatedly try and dismiss or minimise the claimed wrong, it's hardly surprising people are gonna keep talking about it.

Plus, y'know the two things AB fans hear all the time are
1) they get a free ride from the refs; and
2) they're chokers who can't win a RWC (amended to 'away from home' after 2011)

So 2007 gets brought up a fair bit to point out that there may be other things to consider.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The whole "rub of the green" is just rubbish. Play the game down the right end of the field, make and execute your plays, win your lineouts and scrums, tackle the house down and get quick ball and play at pace is what was needed. Not some supposed genie with a whistle.

Well the saying goes 'you make your own luck', which is what you're saying, and that is partly true. However that's only part of the story.

We were decidedly unlucky to pick up too very important injuries in the first 20 minutes. That's very unlucky by anyone's standards. There was nothing we could have done to change that. That's just bad luck. One wonders how different this game would been had Retalick and Nonu both gone off injured in the first 20 minutes.

Secondly, whilst the kiwis were very good in the first half, on a few occasions fairly obvious errors were missed which should have allowed us to get some field position. So when you say "play the game in the right end of the field" again, those 50/50 calls will effect your ability to do that.

The referee of any game is just another factor/variable that teams have to contend with, such as injury, weather, etc. Sometimes those variables will favour you and sometimes they wont. If you're a good enough team you can overcome all of those factors, but they are always there and to an extent out of your control.

So the concept of "rub of the green" is certainly not rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.