• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby Development Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Now that the Titans are fully moving out of the Bond Uni Institute of Sport ( old Titans Centre of Excellence), there is more room for rugby HP.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-24/gold-coast-titans-relocate-to-coomera/5766926

The Titans' presence had a lot to do with the 7s teams not centralising at Bond, which was under serious discussion. Mick O'Connor may have stayed on as coach if the 7s stayed in QLD.

I'd love to see a QLD based M & W 7s academy run out of Bond Uni!

T

TOCC

Is the funding still there? Is the DA progressing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My understanding is that neither the ARU or the NSWRU wants it to proceed in its current form.

Maybe another opportunity lost. No doubt the Federal Government will be happy not to spend the money in the current fiscal environment.

Sad to say, dropping it will have zero electoral impact.

T

TOCC

What does the NSWRU have to do with it?

What issues do the ARU have? Why would they push a proposal up to the governments if they aren't happy with the design or form?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What does the NSWRU have to do with it?

What issues do the ARU have? Why would they push a proposal up to the governments if they aren't happy with the design or form?

Maybe I have it wrong, in fact I probably do, but I had an idea that the State Government might have made some sort of commitment.

I know very little, other than it is not proceeding in the format that was proposed.

I had heard that there was a lot of local opposition from affected residents, and the internal politics between North Ryde RSL Club and the VRC (the owners of the land) were always going to be difficult.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Is the VRC the Milner family? If so, don't they have a caveat on the land saying that it must be used for rugby?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep, I certainly do not know the details, but my understanding is that the land is very tightly controlled by the VRC and of course the Milners gave the land so it is reasonable that they have total control.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No, the Millners do not have control of the ground. Colonel Tom Millner (the one with two Ls), lent the rugby club the money to buy the land about the middle of last century. When the debt became due he forgave the club the money as long as the land was put into a separate entity, which is Vimiera Recreation Grounds Limited. The directors of VRG are all Eastwood rugby people.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have laboured under the misapprehension all these years that there is some sort of inbuilt protection that protects the assets from being misused?

In other words, I have always assumed that the land was always to be used as a playing and training location, for Eastwood Rugby Union Football Club.

(Historical note: I do recall the "Bob a Brick" appeal which was run for a few seasons to provide some of the funding for the buildings, and I also remember turning out for "emu parades" which were run on weekends to pick up stones etc from the playing surface during the preparatory phases. Finally, I played there in the first season of Shute Shield).

T

TOCC

It would appear the VRC were right behind the project... So does anyone else have any firm information, perhaps the DA has been tied up in council bureaucracy.. Brisbane Broncos were also pledged funding from the federal government and that project only received DA approval last week.

Eastwood Rugby President Brett Papworth, in a joint statement with Peter Robinson, Chairman of Vimiera Recreation Grounds Ltd (the owner of complex), said, "We are excited about our partnership with the ARU which would see the Centre located at TG Millner, the home of Eastwood Rugby.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...tg-millner-field/story-fngr8gwi-1226699063271

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I heard that the proposed development was expanded and instead of doing an amendment they tried to push through a whole new DA. Also that the ARU are pushing for more office spaces there so there's a possibility to move there among other things. That impacted on the area set aside for recreational and community use and down the line its pissing everyone off. This comes along with the push back from the RSL. Nonetheless the money was guaranteed and is just sitting there waiting for them to do something with it.

I'm unsure if this is true though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
While the poohbahs are deciding if, what, when and where a rugby development centre goes ahead, including office space for the ARU, is the proposed move into the Waratahs' building in Moore Park still happening?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I think the Moore Park facility will be their City residence and the Eastwood precinct their Country residence.

T

TOCC

Should have just built the 'development' part of the project at Ballymore, its the best piece of infrastructure that Rugby Union owns in this country, ARU headquarters could have remained in Sydney to appease the old boys club.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Now that Abbott and Hockey are both gone from power it looks as though Mike Baird is our big hope.

That means Sydney.

I doubt that the Queensland Labor Party cares about us.

Status
Not open for further replies.