• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
UQ's draw for next year

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 447

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
A few more interesting names popping up during GPS pre-pre-season block, Radike Samo and Lagi Setu. Hopefully a good sign of things to come.

Have also heard there were some very interesting decisions in regards to board members, club Presidents etc at the recent meeting.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
A few more interesting names popping up during GPS pre-pre-season block, Radike Samo and Lagi Setu. Hopefully a good sign of things to come.

Have also heard there were some very interesting decisions in regards to board members, club Presidents etc at the recent meeting.

Interesting.. I thought Waita Setu name was mentioned on here and was linked to move to Norths?

Safe to assume if his brother is down at Gallopers preseason that the Mass GPS Exodus to Norths rumour may not be as bad as feared. I assume Lagi & Waita will be chomping at the bit to play club rugby together!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes I definitely heard Waita as being linked to Norths so not sure what is happening. On that note though I have heard Mitch King is being factored into GPS pre-season plans and many had been saying he was going to Norths.

Scrum doctor

Bob McCowan (2)
It seems Clive Palmers wallet is doing the trick at Shaw Rd. Hearing rumours that Richie McCaw will balk on his retirement plans and join the Eagles on a lucrative contract that premier rugby hasn't seen before. Not sure of any salary cap rules because having him and Jarryd Hayne on the books can't be cheap.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know plenty on this forum have hailed the work done by Anthony Herbert at Yoku Rd but I'd like to give Brownie a wrap for what his board has been doing at Sylvan Rd - the Kenmore JV is just another good sign that Wests are heading in the right direction.

Just a query - hasn't there been a loose alliance between Kenmore & Uni over the years???

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
This maybe a silly question but where does Wests Colts come from? Do they have a close affiliation with local clubs (ie Kenmore) or are they closely connected to a school? (I.e. Terrace/Nudgee to Brothers). There's always been some talent over there and with BBC a strong rugby school in the west, it would be silly of Wests not to take advantage of it.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone know what the current u20 QLD squad is?

I have seen that NSW have named theirs?
I don't think it has been published yet, but have heard that there is a training squad of 40+ players currently training, that includes a few schoolboys who will be joining next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I know plenty on this forum have hailed the work done by Anthony Herbert at Yoku Rd but I'd like to give Brownie a wrap for what his board has been doing at Sylvan Rd - the Kenmore JV is just another good sign that Wests are heading in the right direction.

Just a query - hasn't there been a loose alliance between Kenmore & Uni over the years???

Yeah there was in the past but Uni have joined up with Taylor Bridge now.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Didn't Kenmore previously have a senior club?

I know they never played premier game but i do remember going down to Akuna Oval when I was a kid and watching some 30 year old washed up man power walk around the footy field in a hard hitting but very slow game of rugby. (probably subbies comp)

Any one have an idea of jr playing numbers of Kenmore to Taylor Bridge?

Also I hope that UQ takes a game out to Chelmer one game.. I remember watching Souths vs UQ last year at Kenmore and the Taylor Bridge ground is twice as picturesque as the Kenmore ovals.

The Western Corridor is an untapped mine of rugby player stocks!!! Once Logan get into premier grade the QRU should formulate a pathway for the Ipswich Rangers to join the comp (years down the road of course)

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)

I know they never played premier game but i do remember going down to Akuna Oval when I was a kid and watching some 30 year old washed up man power walk around the footy field in a hard hitting but very slow game of rugby. (probably subbies comp)

Also I hope that UQ takes a game out to Chelmer one game.. I remember watching Souths vs UQ last year at Kenmore and the Taylor Bridge ground is twice as picturesque as the Kenmore ovals.

The Western Corridor is an untapped mine of rugby player stocks!!! Once Logan get into premier grade the QRU should formulate a pathway for the Ipswich Rangers to join the comp (years down the road of course)

Kenmore was a 1st grade team, that is before QPR existed. Redcliffe was another former 1st Grade team, except they merged with Norths at the start of QPR in the 90's.

Taylor Bridge always has strong juniors, with many juniors heading to State High, Terrace and St Peters. UQ probably wants to consolidate their link into the infinite State High pool of talent.

To do with Logan, I am of the opinion that perhaps that them and Ipswich should consolidate their resources to form a Western Corridor team for QPR while retaining separate identities in Grade Rugby. The fact that the two biggest hubs outside of Brisbane and the Gold Coast don't have any representation above Grade Rugby is a stain on the QRU, and their lack of forward thinking in terms of future talent pathways. While you're at it you could also add a Darling Downs team, plenty of Rugby culture up there with former Old Boys from TGS and boarders from the city schools. Also at the moment there are no Darling Downs based entities competing at a state level, except for soccer. Could be a worthwhile investment. And it would give a proper country based team in a competition that is supposedly for the whole of Queensland.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Nah Logan deserve immediate inclusion (IMO) 2 or 3 years ago they were set to join the Premier ranks with a strong Premier Reserve team but then the QRU did something totally idiotic and asked them to go back a division (when they had been building for years to move up)

I just think geographically that Ipswich and Logan are too far apart (close to an hr from clubhouses) that they should be seperate entities with the main focus on getting the Saints back up to speed with a promotion ASAP!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

The ground at Taylor Bridge might be picturesque but they aren't up to Premier Rugby standard. The only time it would be done would be if there was an event on at Uni.

In terms of Kenmore they had a reserve grade team in the 90's and were looking at moving to Premier/1st grade but their backer pulled out and they folded. Bubba Ryan was playing for them when he was with the Reds.

I seem to recall TB having around 450 players, maybe less. Mostly U6-U12 teams with the odd team past high school age.

Sage

Frank Row (1)
The development of a western corridor / Greater Ipswich club in Premier given there are currently senior clubs at Springfield, Goodna and Ipswich with huge population growth predictions is a must for Queensland Rugby. This area is distant enough from existing clubs such as Souths and Wests to be attractive enough for local talent to stay put. I'd have this region and the Moreton/Pine Rivers area targeted for senior rugby before Logan which is currently catered for by Sunnybank and increasingly Bond.

T

TOCC

I currently wouldn't place Ipswich above Logan, Ipswich should be a targeted area for future growth, this includes the subdistricts of Springfield and Goodna. Its a major growth area within SEQ and it has existing resources like Ipswich Grammar and St Edmunds to leverage off.

Yet in terms of prioritising one over the other, i think Logan has done more to prove itself worthy and ready to be promoted. Logan has club facilities which are on par with most other QPR clubs, it has junior numbers which exceed some other QPR clubs and it has the backing of the local council.

Expansion in the QPR needs to be done with caution, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are both the most recent expansion teams and come from catchment areas significantly larger then all those mentioned above(Darling Downs, Logan, Ipswich), Sunshine Coast has folded and the Gold Coast Breakers also folded and had to be merged into Bond University. Had Bond Unversity not been on its recent sporting binge then the Gold Coast team would no longer exist.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I currently wouldn't place Ipswich above Logan, Ipswich should be a targeted area for future growth, this includes the subdistricts of Springfield and Goodna. Its a major growth area within SEQ and it has existing resources like Ipswich Grammar and St Edmunds to leverage off.

Yet in terms of prioritising one over the other, i think Logan has done more to prove itself worthy and ready to be promoted. Logan has club facilities which are on par with most other QPR clubs, it has junior numbers which exceed some other QPR clubs and it has the backing of the local council.

Expansion in the QPR needs to be done with caution, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are both the most recent expansion teams and come from catchment areas significantly larger then all those mentioned above(Darling Downs, Logan, Ipswich), Sunshine Coast has folded and the Gold Coast Breakers also folded and had to be merged into Bond University. Had Bond Unversity not been on its recent sporting binge then the Gold Coast team would no longer exist.

This point right here!

I also agree with your expansion point about being cautious due to other failing projects but Logan had been building towards this day for good part of half a decade only to be relegated so that Bond University could field a Premier reserve team.

It's unfair to Logan after all the money they have spent on that clubhouse & to get it up to scratch to have what Sage suggested and say "Sunnybank & Bond have your area covered, Lets look at Ipswich basin"

If you look at a map & put the Bond, Logan & Sunnybank in a triangle it would be a greater in both distance and population then it would be doing the same triangle of (Uni, Wests, GPS) or (Souths, East, Sunnybank) (etc etc)

Logan is such a large basin of pacific islander community & the QRU just sits back and lets Queensland Rugby League tap into this basin of player stocks/sponsorship.

It really is a sad state of affairs because I believe (IMO) that there are internal politics at play with QRU Powerbrokers who don't wanna see their own individual club rugby be negatively impact with a Logan Saints promotion.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah the relegation of Logan from reserve grade to 1st grade was a bit tough. They had done a pretty good job of it and players can be fickle when they have to drop down a grade. Also their facilities are great, parking could improve though.

Status
Not open for further replies.