• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm Guessing that Brisbane has aligned with the Brisbane City NRC team?
Just noticed The three teams in U15's are called Brisbane City White, Gold and Blue.
Colours of Brisbane City logo.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Brisbane U17 had their final trial last night at Ballymore. Approx 38 boys were split into 2 teams and they played 3 x 20min games.
Quite a few AIC boys trialled and not as many GPS boys as I expected. There was some talent on show but definitely not the strongest Squad of U17 players that Brisbane has to offer. They'll have a tough time catching up to the other U17 teams around Qld and Australia who have already begun training and bonding as a team.
I wish all the players who trialled last night the very best of luck and congratulate them for making the trial squad, without them Brisbane U17 would not have a team to put forward.
Squad announced on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
The "well known" names in this age group that are missing did not trial.

Congrats to all boys!!

My understanding was that one Brisbane team would produce a very strong team not saying that it isn't a very strong team, but certainly not the best Brisbane has to offer
You can only select who turns up I suppose, and boys have other things they want to do i.e cricket, rowing, RL , and school rugby takes priority and the financial investment probably isn't as heavy.
The program needs to be reviewed as "Rugby" is definitely not the winner

Someones winning though

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Has the U15/U17 Brisbane teams draw been released yet? Does anyone know what teams are in the same pool, etc?

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Has the U15/U17 Brisbane teams draw been released yet? Does anyone know what teams are in the same pool, etc?

U15 Brissy Blue and Gold in same pool.
Logan and Brissy White are in same pool.
Not sure if there is even an Ipswich team?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

allaboutthegame

Frank Row (1)
The ACT boys (and I'm sure others) look like they are getting raffle tickets to sell. Sell them all and make a profit. Nice work ARU.

Do you know what you are talking about! I suggest you and others that are talking about the fees check your facts before complaining! The raffle tickets the boys are getting to sell are a way of helping the boys to recover the money they are paying to be involved in the programme. The money they receive for the tickets they can keep which will offset what they paid. If they sell all of their allocatted tickets then they will recover the full amount they paid to be involved!

allaboutthegame

Frank Row (1)
I hear you my boy was involved in what was the 1st Junior Gold Cup program 2 years ago and everyone was excited that the JGC program was going to change the landscape of the Australian game, attracting boys from league and AFL and opening the door to the talent at state schools to compete with the private school boys in what was geographically close to a Nationwide competition, great vision, very very very poor execution by the ARU. The program is now only affordable by private school boys making it an elite sport.
Comparing the Junior Gold Cup program with Harold Matts/SG Ball or Cyril Connell/Mal Meninga Cup league programs is a joke!! not only are the league programs free but they include the playing & training kit, air fares etc are free .Coaches are also of a very high quality either they are ex NRL players or coaches that aspire to higher honours, they know they need to perform in these comps to strengthen their coaching CVs. The feedback I have recieved is that the coaching in JGC over the past two years has been ordinary at best, 2 years ago this is what you got.. JGC $650.00 = 5 games (Every player has to be guaranteed at least 1 start and one whole game) + Playing gear that's either too big or too small (There is no official sizing day) incomplete budget looking Training gear that does not fit + Ordinary coaches (Dads? or Club coaches?)
Hopefully with a 30% fee increase in 2 years players and parents can expect a lot more bang for their buck

This is the pathway to SUPER RUGBY/GOLD this is key selling point for parents and players

I can't speak for all of the centres involved in the programme but from what I know in the Queensland centres, the coaches went through an application process and the coaches that were appointed have for the majority come from coaching or management backgrounds that are either currently or have had experience in the following setups:
1. 1st XV football for their schools, director of rugby roles at their schools
2. Premier Rugby
3. Junior Representative rugby
4. Colts representative rugby
5. NRC
All of these coaches during the application process were screened to see if they had aspirations to go further and is why they are involved in the programme. It is also a pathway for them. Again I suggest people check facts before making statements like...."ordinary coaches (Dads? or Club coaches?)"

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Do you know what you are talking about! I suggest you and others that are talking about the fees check your facts before complaining! The raffle tickets the boys are getting to sell are a way of helping the boys to recover the money they are paying to be involved in the programme. The money they receive for the tickets they can keep which will offset what they paid. If they sell all of their allocatted tickets then they will recover the full amount they paid to be involved!

I am sure they have the facts, the raffle tickets have been around from day 1 as have the ones if you want to join a rep team then the chocolates or raffle tickets to sell for the club team on top of that....the issue is around the size of the fees, the sub standard coaching that has been discussed at centres other than Brisbane and the jettison of loig players in over the top of boys who have given their all. Unfortunately this doesn't stop there just look at the new recruits at the tahs who have been imported from everywhere other than NSW over and above players that have been loyal financial contributors over many years.
The reds development squad is starting to look the same

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
I can't speak for all of the centres involved in the programme but from what I know in the Queensland centres, the coaches went through an application process and the coaches that were appointed have for the majority come from coaching or management backgrounds that are either currently or have had experience in the following setups:
1. 1st XV football for their schools, director of rugby roles at their schools
2. Premier Rugby
3. Junior Representative rugby
4. Colts representative rugby
5. NRC
All of these coaches during the application process were screened to see if they had aspirations to go further and is why they are involved in the programme. It is also a pathway for them. Again I suggest people check facts before making statements like.."ordinary coaches (Dads? or Club coaches?)"

Like my post says my boy was involved in JGC two years ago and again this year and as a matter of fact in QLD, I am familiar with some of the coaches involved in the program so my opinion is based on fact... I know the criteria set out in the application process but the reality is thats not always adhered to and truth be known in many cases (Not all) it was about who you know....the Brisbane rugby community is not that big most coaches are known in the community
but I do have some respect for people that give up their time to coach regardless of where they come from

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)

I know the boys get to keep the money, sorry I re-read my post and can see the confusion. Yep the boys keep the money and it more than covers the cost of the program. It's nice. ie. nice work ARU. No sarcasm. All good.

Status
Not open for further replies.