• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting stats from the Subbies AGM.
Player numbers declined from 6477 last year to 5648 this year. Thats a 829 decline and if you allow 300 from departed Hornsby & Campbelltown its still a loss over over 500 players. Thats 33 teams gone in a year!!

Lets hope the Wallabies RWC efforts inspire those players to return to rugby in 2016 otherwise it is going to be a long season for subbies clubs.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting stats from the Subbies AGM.
Player numbers declined from 6477 last year to 5648 this year. Thats a 829 decline and if you allow 300 from departed Hornsby & Campbelltown its still a loss over over 500 players. Thats 33 teams gone in a year!!

Lets hope the Wallabies RWC efforts inspire those players to return to rugby in 2016 otherwise it is going to be a long season for subbies clubs.

I think you'd be lucky to allow for 79 from Hornsby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
I think you'd be lucky to allow for 79 from Hornsby.

Then it closer to 600 players in a year walking away from rugby. I point the finger of blame at the years of neglect by the ARU however subbies need to manage the competition acknowledging the fact player numbers just arent there. I'd be recommedning grade reductions across the DIVs as struggling clubs asking players to play mutliple games every weekend to meet outdated comp requirements is only increasing the player drain.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Latest word is that Brothers and Old Iggies will be in Div 3 as well as Beecroft coming up. 10 team comp with 14 rounds. Tell me how that's going to work???

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Latest word is that Brothers and Old Iggies will be in Div 3 as well as Beecroft coming up. 10 team comp with 14 rounds. Tell me how that's going to work???

That would be a bloated draw. Assume you play everyone once and your local rivalries twice. Would be a tough comp.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
That would be a bloated draw. Assume you play everyone once and your local rivalries twice. Would be a tough comp.

That assume clubs like KOBs, Hawkesbury Valley and Oatley can meet the 4 team requirement. That good prove to be a significant hurdle. Also hearing half of 2nd DIV clubs want a 3 team + colts for 2016.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That assume clubs like KOBs, Hawkesbury Valley and Oatley can meet the 4 team requirement. That good prove to be a significant hurdle. Also hearing half of 2nd DIV clubs want a 3 team + colts for 2016.

Looking at results, I'd say KOBs at least will be coming down, and Valley won't be far behind.

What say you barbarian?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

By "tough" you mean "rubbish".

Sure, you're going to accept any challenge that is put in front of you, but the only fair way to proceed is at least the opportunity for a home and away round. It doesn't always work out that way with wet weather. And they need to introduce a rule about wet weather changes resulting in return change of venue wherever possible.

Canterbury not only have a good club but a fairly handy situation where they own their ground. Hence, they never miss a game due to wet weather - and it drains bloody well. Having to travel there twice in a season is a big ask for any club.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Looking at results, I'd say KOBs at least will be coming down, and Valley won't be far behind.

What say you barbarian?

Can't speak for the club (stepping back a bit next year), but suggest we would wait and see how we're looking at the start of next year before making the call.

I think 3 teams is a good number for us, so a drop down may be on the cards.

Tommy Tudehope

Ted Fahey (11)
Can't speak for the club (stepping back a bit next year), but suggest we would wait and see how we're looking at the start of next year before making the call.

I think 3 teams is a good number for us, so a drop down may be on the cards.

Please don't tell me you're packing it in after collecting the silverware last year? First McCaw and now this.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hahaha the glory of the Nicholson Cup (below the Webb Ellis, but only marginally) still fills me with joy each morning, but it's not enough to give the game away.

I'll be back, but just not in an organisational capacity.

T

TOCC

So im considering dusting off the boots and getting back into playing rugby in 2016, I figure I've got one or two more seasons in me before I'm forced into retirement.

I live in the Eastern Suburbs, if i want to play am i better off looking towards a subbies club or look towards one of the lower grades at Randwick?

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I see on the Iggies website that it has been confirmed that they are going to Div3. Good for them to rebuild. It will be an interesting year in Div 3 next year, having both Beecroft (Div 1 2014) and Iggies (Div 1 2015) up against Redfield etc.

Any word on Brothers and what Div they are looking at?

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
At least subbies will now scrap the $500 per team ARU levy off the back of the new TV deal.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
And maybe joined by a couple of DIV 2 clubs looking to drop to 4 teams.

Any word on who Heavyd?

I would have thought that Forest, Hills, HH, Newport, UNSW and Blueys would have strong numbers.

I can only assume you are talking about BOBs

Status
Not open for further replies.