• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
40/50 years ago the only non-GPS school which rowed was Cranbrook, and I don't think any girls schools rowed then. The highlight of Cranbrook's season was the Riverview Gold Cup, can't remember what they did in regattas leading up to the RGC.

The schools' rowing picture is much healthier now, especially with the take-up of the sport in girls schools. Like rugby, the problem in taking part of the sport is the "traditional" calendar of the GPS schools. I'd be inclined to suggest participation of all schools needs to be sorted out, slowly, over the next few decades. The issues of GPS/non-GPS rules, coxswains' weights, entries in specific classes (maybe take a leaf out of horse-racing here), etc., for starters.

Reactions: LBA
L

LBA

Which brings us back to my initial comment. There should not be different rules according to what Rowing circuit you compete in. CDRA, ISRA all seem to dance to the same tune - Rowing NSW Rules which in turn align with Rowing Australia. Please correct me if I am wrong !

I would like to think it could happen quicker than in a next few decades. What other sport has these variations does Rugby if you play GPS Rugby are the rules different to say playing for a local club ? Tennis and cricket do they have different sets of rules? The fast cricket 20 divided by 20 or 20 x 20 are those rules different ? Don't know much about cricket.

It is great that schools rowing is healthy - fantastic in fact. But I think all the rules should be the same - the waltz and the quick step are the same the world over ! And yes before anybody comments I am to old to quick step.

I had a very upset little lady on Sunday when she got off the water - she and the crew she was in - did not know their race number when the rowed up to the start. They had collected their bow number which had also had a alpha indicator on it - but that was it. When asked what their race number was they gave their alpha indicator - they were asked again and then gave their bow number - which you guessed it was not their race number.

I had nothing to say - yes surprise surprise me short on words. It falls back on the coaches - they should not only teach rowing but how to race. You are marshalled according to your race number - I was tempted to say which Jail warden was it - but thought it best to provided tissues and shoulder.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Also kudos to Sydney Boys High for showing up and competing. It just makes the regatta feel more complete with them there.

Not sure how Canberra Grammar are allowed to race their 1st IV in the 2nd IV race. It just seems as though they are robbing proper 2nd IV's of a victory however the points in that race would still go to Shore. Cranbrook and Redlands both look like they move their boats quite well, particularly in their 1st Jr VIII.

It still annoys me how these 3 schools are allowed to enter in an AAGPS event where they can spoil the GPS competition particularly in the fours and i know people will disagree with me but i like my tradition.

Agree High deserves credit AND they row in either the top class events, i.e. 1st VIII or 1st IV.

Also agree that schools cherrypicking is annoying. As pointed out High don't do it, so why should they? I think they race in GPS regattas because the GPS has them... They other schools don't run a St Augustine's or Cranbrook Regatta etc, so they're always looking for an opportunity to race.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
40/50 years ago the only non-GPS school which rowed was Cranbrook, and I don't think any girls schools rowed then. The highlight of Cranbrook's season was the Riverview Gold Cup, can't remember what they did in regattas leading up to the RGC.

The schools' rowing picture is much healthier now, especially with the take-up of the sport in girls schools.

Hasn't Cranbrook always been a member of IGSAA???

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Which brings us back to my initial comment. There should not be different rules according to what Rowing circuit you compete in. CDRA, ISRA all seem to dance to the same tune - Rowing NSW Rules which in turn align with Rowing Australia. Please correct me if I am wrong !

I don't think it's a problem at all. The AAGPS has been around a lot longer than Rowing NSW or Rowing Australia and developed their own code of practice waaay before some bureaucrat/sporting admin expert decided it all had to be sanitised, regulated and conformed into a standardised asscoiation and rip any colour, eccentricity & tradition out of the sport.

In the UK, people love the Henley regatta because they run the event their own way (and because they pre-date any bureaucratic sports administration or body). The course isn't 2000m; it's match racing; many spectators adhere to outrageous dress standards and they still get 60,000 people over the five days! Still think the HOTR isn't really a HOTR now it's not rowed over 2400m. In fact, it's just another race distance they race almost every weekend. Yep. Let's continue to standardise and turn things into bland. No wonder Red Bull are doing well coming up with new ideas to reinvigorate sport all over the place!

L

LBA

I don't think it's a problem at all. The AAGPS has been around a lot longer than Rowing NSW or Rowing Australia and developed their own code of practice waaay before some bureaucrat/sporting admin expert decided it all had to be sanitised, regulated and conformed into a standardised asscoiation and rip any colour, eccentricity & tradition out of the sport.

In the UK, people love the Henley regatta because they run the event their own way (and because they pre-date any bureaucratic sports administration or body). The course isn't 2000m; it's match racing; many spectators adhere to outrageous dress standards and they still get 60,000 people over the five days! Still think the HOTR isn't really a HOTR now it's not rowed over 2400m. In fact, it's just another race distance they race almost every weekend. Yep. Let's continue to standardise and turn things into bland. No wonder Red Bull are doing well coming up with new ideas to reinvigorate sport all over the place!

Henley has a very clear set of guide lines that are strictly adhered to - I am not talking about the spectators - it is a great event for people to attend and I am sure they have a lovely time. But you cannot tell me that a crew would not get upset if it was just declared to hell with the rules just do what you want.

If the AAGPS had a clear set of guidelines that were up the website to be adhered to then so be it. But they don't. What about the other sports played in the AAGPS - both summer and winter? Are the rugby rules the same rules as other boys would play - tennis? Then why not rowing?

I have found the Henley rules on the www. I am sure that they could be interpreted as sanitised and regulated. I am pretty sure the stewards would enforce them as well.

Attachments

• ConstitutionandRules.pdf
    79.4 KB · Views: 250

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Henley has a very clear set of guide lines that are strictly adhered to - I am not talking about the spectators - it is a great event for people to attend and I am sure they have a lovely time. But you cannot tell me that a crew would not get upset if it was just declared to hell with the rules just do what you want.

If the AAGPS had a clear set of guidelines that were up the website to be adhered to then so be it. But they don't. What about the other sports played in the AAGPS - both summer and winter? Are the rugby rules the same rules as other boys would play - tennis? Then why not rowing?

I have found the Henley rules on the www. I am sure that they could be interpreted as sanitised and regulated. I am pretty sure the stewards would enforce them as well.

The point made about Henley was that it is different. As it is unafilliated with any of the other regatta's in England, and instead of being run by their version of Rowing NSW, it is run by the Henley Stewards, nobody said it had no rules, it just keeps on with old traditions.

The same is true of the AAGPS, although to a much lesser, and lessening, extent

Just because the AAGPS doesn't post its rules online for G&G readers to critique, doesn't mean they don't exist.

L

LBA

So if in fact they do exist - do the coaches get a copy? Do the boys get told that the rules are different from racing at any other Regatta. Do the BRO's know that when they turn up to do their bit?

Please remember I came to this forum to learn. I think it is great that there are events drenched in tradition - being old I love my tradition. But traditions fade if they are not continued and passed on to new young blood, to keep it all alive.

So cutting straight to the chase the AAGPS Regatta's are stand alone and unaffiliated with anything else they can and do let any crews row in any event?

The AAGPS allows/tolerates "Cherry picking" and has done so for a number of years. You cannot whine about really. It is just part of the history of AAGPS. Because the rules or guidelines are not public reference to be referred to it is what it is.

Is this right or am I going to be bombarded with comments that I have got it wrong??

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Shore again dominated today at H&C Bay. Definitely have their mojo back after SJC had the wood over them last year. Joeys still a strong shed.

Good also to see Scots continue their rise as well. SIC also very strong in the junior shed and should be vying in 3 years time. In the meantime the lads from North Sydney will be very hard to beat.

Look forward to seeing racing after the Xmas break.

MR

Adam Robertson

Frank Row (1)
The Xmas break in the past has seen major improvements from crews that put in the hard yards, though it will be hard for any crew to bridge the gap the shore eight has created so far this season. That being said, it is not impossible.

On a side note, what happened to the Newington eight in the final, they left High to race down H&C on their own, which is a pretty dull experience to say the least.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm sure I'm not alone in remembering the late-night dorm game, "Stacks On....." which was awesome fun if you were on top but less fun if you were the body on the bottom of the pile. Today I saw a different version: Stacks On GPS Fours, in which a crew races flat-out in the heat, then calls for fresh horses to swap in as the middle pair for the final. What an ideal solution to the problem of fatigue for senior rowers! It's a shame everyone didn't know we were playing Stacks today, because then we all could have done it instead of just the one school. Like I said, awesome fun if you're on top. Less fun if you're crushed by it.

BOAT

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm sure I'm not alone in remembering the late-night dorm game, "Stacks On..." which was awesome fun if you were on top but less fun if you were the body on the bottom of the pile. Today I saw a different version: Stacks On GPS Fours, in which a crew races flat-out in the heat, then calls for fresh horses to swap in as the middle pair for the final. What an ideal solution to the problem of fatigue for senior rowers! It's a shame everyone didn't know we were playing Stacks today, because then we all could have done it instead of just the one school. Like I said, awesome fun if you're on top. Less fun if you're crushed by it.

What school/crew do you suggest did that?

Status
Not open for further replies.