• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

USA launches professional rugby competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
All the financial strain is on ProRugby's owner. He's funding everything. Which is interesting as as the player wages for the season will range somewhere between $3.8-5.4m depending on how many are on $40k contract etc. Take into account travel, accommodation, facility hire, staffing, events etc. and if he's extraordinarily frugal he'd be lucky if it doesn't cost him at least $10-12m a season in it's current form.

So RIM aren't invested in it?

I know he's set this up with a single entity structure where the league owns all the teams. I just assumed there must have been at least a few other investors.

If he hasn't got them already I have little doubt he will. As long as there are multi-millionaires that like rugby there'll be some that are willing to take a punt on this for a piece of the pie.

It'd be great if they could get a guy like Mark Cuban involved. Worth a few billion, well known in America, rugby fan, already owns an NBA team. A guy like him could make a big difference.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WCR, have they only confirmed Sacramento and San Francisco as teams so far? With the proposed teams that you understand to be in it, what's the travel like? Is there a reasonable player base in these areas to recruit from or do they need to hire in talent from around the country?

Officially, yes they have only confirmed both Sacramento and San Francisco. But the likes of Denver and Philadelphia are essentially considered to be locked in for teams. As is likely a New York based squad. The only issue that may slow the announcement of locations is venues. Philadelphia is pretty safe in PPL Park but there are questions as to where the New York squad will play as Red Bull Arena recently stated that they weren't an option. In regards to Denver its more a question of who to go with. On one hand you have Dick's Sporting Goods Park that seats 18,000. On the other you have Infinity Park the premier Rugby facility in the country but only seats 5,000 at present. Honestly, in my opinion Infinity is the way to go at the beginning. The city of Glendale has always been very supportive of Rugby and I'd imagine they'd be willing to grow the facility alongside the team.

The 6th location is still a bit of a mystery but from a tidbit from someone connected via the US Rugby media scene after a conversation with Steven Lewis (ProRugby's Director of Rugby) there is some suggestion that Buffalo may be an option. That's right out of left field. There's some suggestion that with the lack of Canadian involvement in the first year and Buffalo's proximity to Ontario that it may be placed there as a proxy for them.

As for recruiting players. ProRugby are planning to hold a draft early next year. Likely January or February. I can see this draft being made up of the combined domestic based members of the Eagles and Canadian national teams. Perhaps even some on the fringe of the Eagles 7s training group but its unlikely with the Olympics we'll see any of the OTC guys. So probably between 45-60 odd guys. From there they'll likely recruit from the local D1 Club and College programs within each area. NorCal is probably the strongest Rugby region in the US. As above in the Sacramento region there are 8,000 odd active players. Would likely be very similar in the Bay Area if not more. Colorado has a strong and growing scene particularly at the youth level and along the Boston to DC Corridor there are heaps of teams from across the spectrum.

Add to that they will be holding an open combine for anyone who falls outside of those regions to press a claim.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So RIM aren't invested in it?

I know he's set this up with a single entity structure where the league owns all the teams. I just assumed there must have been at least a few other investors.

If he hasn't got them already I have little doubt he will. As long as there are multi-millionaires that like rugby there'll be some that are willing to take a punt on this for a piece of the pie.

It'd be great if they could get a guy like Mark Cuban involved. Worth a few billion, well known in America, rugby fan, already owns an NBA team. A guy like him could make a big difference.

No, the early scuttlebutt had suggestions that they were invested in the project in some way but now it appears they are not. However, as before it would likely be right to assume that their soon to come Rugby Channel will likely be the broadcast partner of ProRugby.

Doug Schoninger (the owner) has said he's not actively looking for partners at present but would certainly hear anyone out if they approached with the right offer. He's already stated that he's prepared to go it alone for several seasons. However, I have been looking at the first season more and more as essentially as a proof of concept for the league. I believe his intentions are to support the league for several seasons but I also think that if they are able to pull off something that could rapidly develop into a marketable product then they may be able to draw others to get involved.

About 4 years ago now rumours of a very similar set up emerged backed by "guys with the means". That's literally what was reported. It fell apart after they couldn't come to agreement with USA Rugby and then one investor got cold feet and the others soon followed. During that time there was suggestion that Cuban may have been circling the group to see if it was a go. It's bee suggested that he'd likely be more willing to invest if someone could get something off the ground and prove it as a concept. So....

You also have Will Chang who is a USA Rugby board member. He owns the controlling stake in DC United in th MLS and a chunk of the SF Giants in Major League Baseball. There's a list of people apparently that could invest but those who know of it are very tight lipped about it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Oh, and Salt Lake City has been mentioned previously and again recently. So, Buffalo may be a misdirect. Only ProRugby knows for sure. That said, Salt Lake City would be a good location. Strong Rugby scene with lots of players again particularly at the youth level. Two of the strongest college programs in the country with arguably the strongest in BYU. Also a natural rival for Denver.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well they'd be able to find a fair few athletic Polynesian blokes in SLC! Or easily attract some over from the islands. A lot of Tongans in particular are Mormons.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well they'd be able to find a fair few athletic Polynesian blokes in SLC! Or easily attract some over from the islands. A lot of Tongans in particular are Mormons.

Any Utah based squad would definitely have a strong PI flavour. Utah produces some really good players that are u fortunately lost to the game by the need to earn a living to support their families. While a SLC team would go against the statement that Sacramento will be ProRugby's smallest market I think a team based there would actually do rather well.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
It's been suggested that he'd likely be more willing to invest if someone could get something off the ground and prove it as a concept.

I would love to see Mark Cuban jumping and screaming along the touchline, getting sent away by the referees, and wearing goofy outfits. Before long he'd be challenging Mourad Boudjellal to hot dog eating contests.

T

TOCC

Some interesting golden oldies signings:

Mils Muliaina - San Francisco
Jamie Mackintosh- Ohio
Timana Tahu - Denver

These are the teams for the first season: Ohio, San Francisco, Denver, Sacramento & San Diego.

First game is on 17 April and the season goes for 16 weeks.. Going to be a little repetitive

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No contract details? Curious as to how these contracts stack up against others.

What has Mils been up to?

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
According to planetrugby, Mils was always going to the States to study, so more a matter of right time, right place than a huge money deal.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No contract details? Curious as to how these contracts stack up against others.

What has Mils been up to?

There is a three tiered contract system. T1 is for capped Eagles (current) and internationals. It ranges between $35-40,000 a season. T2 are for capped Eagles (non-current) and uncapped internationals as well as the top local prospects. This range is between $25-35,000 a season. T3 is Goethe younger guys and those who cannot commit full time. This ranges between $15-25,000 per season depending on experience and trajectory.

I think it would be safe to say Mils would fit at the top end of the T1 bracket.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
given the timing f the two seasons, i can see a lot of internationals (not capped players, foreigners) plying their trade in Japan and the US

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not at the salary levels quoted above.
If you're earning 100,000+ in Japan, I doubt there's a huge appetite to do another 16 week season for 30k

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not at the salary levels quoted above.
If you're earning 100,000+ in Japan, I doubt there's a huge appetite to do another 16 week season for 30k

no not in the short term, but if this league has legs then bigger salaries will follow. journeymen players might quite like a little extra in the pocket,

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Are those figures in US dollars?

Yeah, USD. And yes, if this league tales hold it will likely see growth in terms of what it can offer players in terme of salary. The first season is essentially a soft opening for the league with season 2 being its big debut so to speak.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has former Eagle, Tom Coolican headed "home" for this competition?

Not seen his name in the Shute Shield Team lists for Sydney Uni so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.