• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leg-drive Larry

Frank Row (1)
Anyone see the Grammar boys over in lane 1? last month they were getting beaten by Newington and coming 7th, today they came 4th or 5th. dark-horse candidate for the podium perhaps?

BOAT

Bob McCowan (2)
If your talking about the fours behind the shed I'm guessing it's about shore as they where fairly dominant today? What div do you think it was?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
If your talking about the fours behind the shed I'm guessing it's about shore as they where fairly dominant today? What div do you think it was?

I know of at least one division but I suspect there are more. It didn't surprise me but it does appal me.

I am not going to invite drama by naming the school. I have no allegiance to any GPS shed anyway, and no axe to grind with any particular school. Just as one who has coached young men and women in a multitude of competitive activities, I am more than a little riled by the manoeuvre itself. I am now on a watch and wait: watching from beside the stack, not under it nor on it.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
I know of at least one division but I suspect there are more. It didn't surprise me but it does appal me.

I am not going to invite drama by naming the school. I have no allegiance to any GPS shed anyway, and no axe to grind with any particular school. Just as one who has coached young men and women in a multitude of competitive activities, I am more than a little riled by the manoeuvre itself. I am now on a watch and wait: watching from beside the stack, not under it nor on it.

Reading up on Rowing NSW Rules and Redulations, it's against the rules to swap a rower or crew in between a heat and final unless given consent due to serious issue (I.e sick/injured). So the concept of a crew rowing their hardest then being substituted by some fresh legs would be against the rules...

I also think that it is very easy to point the finger at schools and coaches for stacking crews.
Its blatantly obvious that your pointing the finger at the Shore fours. Now i also have no allegiance to any GPS School. You could also assume that Shore put 2nd VIII rowers in their Fours for the finals but to be fair to Shore you can't assume it.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Reading up on Rowing NSW Rules and Redulations, it's against the rules to swap a rower or crew in between a heat and final unless given consent due to serious issue (I.e sick/injured). So the concept of a crew rowing their hardest then being substituted by some fresh legs would be against the rules.

I also think that it is very easy to point the finger at schools and coaches for stacking crews.
Its blatantly obvious that your pointing the finger at the Shore fours. Now i also have no allegiance to any GPS School. You could also assume that Shore put 2nd VIII rowers in their Fours for the finals but to be fair to Shore you can't assume it.

It may well be "blatantly obvious" to you who you think it is, but I said from the start I refuse to name the school. You are assuming that the winners in any division must be the perps.

It is particularly easy to point the finger at a crew when they actually did it. It happened. I believe it is quaintly called "swapping" among those complicit.

I hope the crews affected have their coaches pursue it because yes, it is a breach of the rules.

L

LBA

Very interesting day from the sounds of things.

Maybe the "swapping" rule is just a special rule of the AAGPS. After all it is drenched in tradition and should not have to conform to any other rules other than the ones they set for themselves.

Maybe the AAGPS is looking for sponsorship from Red Bull ?? Red Bull gives you wings or in this case oars perhaps.

BOAT

Bob McCowan (2)
Thoughts on Newington 2nd viii coming 2nd overall today?

Personally I do not like going off times at h&c as in the last couple years they have been know to be not accurate, but good on them for getting that time I guess we will all see if the are completion for a podium finish at the Kings/PLC reggata

L

LBA

None because the conditions were really bad and I don't think you can compare races and the times taken were individuals using stop watches looking at a man holding a flag and dropping it and the splits would have been a person sitting on a wharf or in a tinny with a stop watch. So no I don't think any times should be set in stone today. All very subjective. What happens if the Umpire sneezed at the start or forgot to hit start and do they hit start when the hooter goes or somebody yells row.

SIRC timing system is the best gauge I think. Open water racing on Hen and Chicken Hhmmmmmm - Red Bull does not give accurate timing.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
It may well be "blatantly obvious" to you who you think it is, but I said from the start I refuse to name the school. You are assuming that the winners in any division must be the perps.

It is particularly easy to point the finger at a crew when they actually did it. It happened. I believe it is quaintly called "swapping" among those complicit.

I hope the crews affected have their coaches pursue it because yes, it is a breach of the rules.

Okay then. Where is the proof that this school "actually did it"

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Thoughts on Newington 2nd viii coming 2nd overall today?

As has been said before me the timings are way off and i find it very hard to believe that they are quicker than Scots.

In other matters was great to see Joeys and Scots battle it out in the 1st VIII with 0.50 of a second between them.

L

LBA

????? Timings are off but in the next sentence you comment on the margins between Joeys and Scots.

L

LBA

What ever happened to the very special very secret AAGPS sculling ?? Did it happen - or is to to secret to discuss??

L

LBA

Thank you Boat I understand but I would not put money on the margins and the race times being accurate - please refer to my previous post. So discussing the margin of 0.50 is pointless.

By the way I am not having a go at the volunteers to help run the Regatta - without them the Regatta would not happen. I am just simply pointing out that I would not put my life (no matter how short it might) on the race times and margins and being 100% accurate.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Okay then. Where is the proof that this school "actually did it"

I know it happened. Providing proof is not my responsibility. As I've said before, I'm not publishing slander by naming the crew, nor do I have a stake in it at all.

In the same way that anyone there could comment that today it was windy, or that quite a few rowers caught crabs, well, it can be factually stated that unauthorised substituituions happened in order to freshen up a tired crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if "proof" is actively sought at the first regatta of 2016, but if it is, I won't be the one collecting it, nor would I think that this forum is the ideal place to make it public. I've been vocal on the topic of anonymity here, especially for students.

BOAT

Bob McCowan (2)
I know it happened. Providing proof is not my responsibility. As I've said before, I'm not publishing slander by naming the crew, nor do I have a stake in it at all.

In the same way that anyone there could comment that today it was windy, or that quite a few rowers caught crabs, well, it can be factually stated that unauthorised substituituions happened in order to freshen up a tired crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if "proof" is actively sought at the first regatta of 2016, but if it is, I won't be the one collecting it, nor would I think that this forum is the ideal place to make it public. I've been vocal on the topic of anonymity here, especially for students.

can you give us the div so we can follow as well? Or is this "substituted" crew in this div going to be unknown ?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Let's wait and see what happens at PLC/Kings. Believe me, if this continues, it will be big enough news that you won't need to come to this forum to hear about it.

L

LBA

I fully support BTS - this forum it is not the place to name and shame. Rather it is the responsibility of the coaches to be across the rules of racing and to ensure that they are adhered to. These things would be hard to monitor from a logistical point of view. My understanding is that crews row around from their sheds and beach in between races at many and various places around Hen and Chicken.

To the best of my knowledge no formal substitution or withdrawal paperwork would be completed for AAGPS Regatta's held on Hen and Chicken - again I stand to be corrected.

So it would come down to slide of hand so to speak for one of the AAGPS schools to swap rowers in between heats and finals. Disgusting is a word that comes to mind - however having visited the AAGPS website there are no rules clearly on display. At SIRC the withdrawals and substitutions have a formal process. Who would do this at Hen and Chicken Bay? Would it be up to a representative of the AAGPS to enforce them or would it fall back to the volunteers. Should all the crews be photographed at the start and a check take place at the finals. Sad that perhaps a process of honesty might have to discussed.

I do agree with BTS that the PLC/Kings/Rowing NSW Regatta will high light it.

I don't see why the break would make any difference to this bad behaviour !

Sad that I come to learn and some of the knowledge obtained is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.