• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The statistics given on SMarsh are damning: 28 innings - 7 ducks and another 5 scores of 4 or less.

0 in 25% of innings

4 or less 42.8% of innings

Time to say goodbye.
The family has quite the international record...

Geoff - ave 33
Shaun - ave 33
Mitch - ave 24

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
NZ in box seat so it looks like they will manage to draw another series. No lost series in 2 years is some record.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I do think Mitch Marsh will be a very good all rounder some day, but is not contributing enough atm. If Pattinson comes in to make it a three man right hand opening bowling attack, maybe MMarsh should now make way for Faulkner as the all rounder. Would give us a left hand quick to add variety to the attack while probably getting more runs while batting.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I do think Mitch Marsh will be a very good all rounder some day, but is not contributing enough atm. If Pattinson comes in to make it a three man right hand opening bowling attack, maybe MMarsh should now make way for Faulkner as the all rounder. Would give us a left hand quick to add variety to the attack while probably getting more runs while batting.
Faulkner has a chronic toe injury and is missing the current shield match. They don't seem to know what's wrong with it.

He does seem to be a possible option but don't know if his batting is any better than MMarsh to be honest. Only averages 31 in FC. That's not enough for #6 in a test match

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We're buggered. A long way behind and a bowler down, can't see any possibility to salvage it from here.

Unless Nevill & Lyon get you a first-innings lead (or near enough to one) :)

EDIT: with an assist from DRS: just seen the Lyon not out & fark me how big has the hot spot gotta be for it to be given? Won't criticise Lyon for coming back but the fact he walked in the first place speaks volumes.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lyon out for 34 after a seriously important knock.

In comes Starc

Aus still trailing, just.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In regard to the Lyon not out call, I think the third umpire had no choice but to stick with the original decision. Snicko had nothing and the hotspot on the bat was inconclusive. In the slowed down replays it didn't look to take an obvious deviation off the bat either.

Had the umpire given it out and it stayed out I would have had no problem with it either.

That's cricket.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^ hotspot inconclusive how? There's either a hotspot or there's not. If there IS a hotspot, as in this case, something's caused it: if not the ball, what? Seriously bad decision - shit, even the Ch9 Straya fanboys are calling it for what it was.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

EDIT: with an assist from DRS: just seen the Lyon not out & fark me how big has the hot spot gotta be for it to be given? Won't criticise Lyon for coming back but the fact he walked in the first place speaks volumes.

So yeah, as I was saying ;)

NZ should have been well in front had the DRS decision gone their way. The only reason I could understand it not being given out was the Snicko footage. There didn't seem to be any appreciable change in the waveform at all, which bizarrely was at odds with the hot spot. I honestly don't know what you do there.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Logically you'd think hotspot is more "conclusive" than snicko, given the former is locational, whereas the latter is temporal.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Logically you'd think hotspot is more "conclusive" than snicko, given the former is locational, whereas the latter is temporal.
Way more common for hotspot to show nothing and snicko to show the noise, in fact I don't think I've ever seen this case before.

Given that the umpire gave it not out I reckon the umpire gas to see the ball causig the hotspot. He didn't see that - so not out.

I do think he probably hit it though

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Great day of cricket - had everything including some controversy.

Seems the aussies aren't the only ones who struggle with the moving ball. But pretty good bowling all around apart for that part where kiwis lost it for a while with Lyon/Starc/Neville.

Did anyone see the hotspots for Williamson's dismisal - there was no mark after a very clear edge, and then the phantom mark that showed up on on of the LBW's later on with the ball nowhere near it. The technology certainly isn't fool proof.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^That's the problem with sports attempting to use technology to eliminate mistakes. Any technology is operated by and then interpreted by human beings and is prone to error.

Some really odd things occurred this evening with the DRS.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I think this sums it up:

Speaking on ABC Grandstand, recently-retired Test batsman Chris Rogers was equally perplexed.
"So we're not using Hot Spot? There was a mark on the bat. What else could it be?" Rogers said. "He assumed he was out, so he walked off. All the NZ players assumed he was out.

"That's when players get disillusioned – when everyone on the field thinks it's out and it's given not out; it almost seems like there's no common sense."

Status
Not open for further replies.