• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
If the above is correct my money will be on an 8 team first grade comp, a 9 team second grade comp (deni) on a home and away basis. A third grade comp will be sorted out early 2016.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Oh, and all but Hay have a women's team, although I reckon Waratahs will struggle to hold onto their women's grade if/when Sarge steps down.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Yabbies juniors still stay with SIRU juniors. I think it would have been a pretty quick decision for them, they're very lucky to be where they are in many ways and why not look at the comp in Canberra to see how they stack up?

I want to hear @ nipnipnip thoughts on this..

Sorry Sam, harvest has kept me away from the keyboard for a while! In my opinion the moving from SIRU to the Monaro comp has been the best outcome for the club as a whole. Our 16's & 18's had already moved to that comp last year as there was no 17's comp in SIRU. So this will help us strengthen the transition for them into the senior ranks. The women's team which only started last year has gained alot of popularity and will benefit from a full competition of women's teams in Monaro. Our senior men's team struggled a bit from player number consistency last year but we have a strong core group and will build 2 strong grades with this move. Young loses alot of its younger players to Uni/jobs in Canberra so hopefully with the Yabbies travelling over there will encourage a few of those to pull on the boots. The travel is around the same and its exciting to find out the level of rugby we will be playing.

The idea of changing into this competition was floated 2 years ago and only went down by 1 vote. This time round was strongly supported with more than 2/3rds of votes siding this way. There were good arguments for all competitions, but I am very glad that we are going into a comp where the club as a whole is being supported and not just a section.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Young are heading in the right direction but I don't know about Temora & Coota.
DA headline reads "Three clubs abandon SIRU"
You'd think poor old SIRU had lost the lifelines of their Competition.
Coota didn't win 1 first grade match this year and were flat out having more than 20 players for 2 Grades each Saturday- they are definitely not a big loss to the SIRU Comp and most of the clubs remaining in the competition were getting fed up with their "What about us" antics
Maybe Temora, Young and Coota have done the SIRU Comp a favour in the end by moving on

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think this will represent a positive step for the competition. 8 teams with 3 grades. 14 game season. Top 4 finals. Good old school rugby season.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Sorry Sam, harvest has kept me away from the keyboard for a while!
No problems mate, I agree with your points and am aware that this has been something that the club has been discussing for a while now.
Best of luck to the Yabbies in Canberra, this may be an opportunity to galvanise and strengthen the club with a genuine pathway through the footy club for juniors to head through and also for your Women's team.

Young are heading in the right direction but I don't know about Temora & Coota.

I guess only time will tell on that front....

In many ways, the SIRU Competition has come full circle, the old South West rises again and Riverina is back on the map.

Those local rugby historians will remember the early days of SIRU (1999-2000) when Grenfell, West Wyalong and Harden were in their prime. Strong clubs, uncompromising on the field and good fun off it but they could see that the SW zone was becoming isolated and NSW Country didn't want a bar of them - they didn't fit the mould for the Premier Division in Central West so they came knocking on the doors of Riverina.

SIRU was formed, a draw sorted out, clubs split into Northern and Southern pools - cross over games were interesting and I think Waratahs played in the Northern competition initially, not sure about Temora - I think they may have been in Riverina already.

Grenfell made the GF in SIRU for three years straight from my foggy memory of those early days after winning 5? straight SW Premierships and Wyalong were very competitive. Greg? Laing from Condobolin won B&F for about a million years running.

Wyalong, Condo and Grenfell hit a bit of a downer in the mid 2000's and there really wasn't a place for them in SIRU as all the other clubs had two or three grades so these clubs headed back to Central West into the Graincorp South Competition.

If you step back for a minute, the writing was probably on the wall around that time for all clubs in that area of the world - something needed to change. Maybe more could have been done for the three zones, but would we be in a different situation now? I don't know and I'm confident that this debate could go on forever.

For the three competitions, life goes on. The clubs have made decisions based on what they think is best for them, good luck to all three clubs, they've contributed to the competition here in SIRU and hopefully prosper in their new found competitions.

I'll be keeping an eye on their progress, not sure if I've got the time to do previews for them though.... :) Maybe someone from within those comps could start a thread on GAGR?

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
a Fair bit of history there 'yourmatesam' and it stresses the point that the Riverina then SIRU Comp have been evolving Competitions over the years
The SIRU Rugby Manger sent out an Email to all remaining Clubs in the SIRU Competition summarising what has happened in last couple of months or so with the likes of Young, Temora & Cootamundra
He explained each Clubs situations but also seems pretty upbeat about the future

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
a Fair bit of history there 'yourmatesam' and it stresses the point that the Riverina then SIRU Comp have been evolving Competitions over the years

The history of SIRU has evolved constantly and has always been a zone to try and work with clubs to get a reasonable outcome for all.

He explained each Clubs situations but also seems pretty upbeat about the future
I think the competition will actually become pretty even, it's going to be interesting to see how clubs handle the home and away competition, particularly if the comp remains as competitive as some pundits are tipping.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Holy yit balls, I must have been hiding under a rock for the past few weeks. CSU v Ag will be a blockbuster in 2016, particularly in a home and away format.

Big call for a big bopper.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Congrats on the sevens tournament, some great rugby and good adjustments when field two sprung a leak. The only teams that took a hammering were Tasmania and the SIRU ladies not surprising when they are playing state rep teams. The big movers for me were WA.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
May of missed it in this thread but are Young Yappies joining all Monaro/South Coast sides in the 3rd/4th grade ACT Comp?!?!?!?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The word is that not all is well in the Coota Camp - certain players aren't happy they didn't have much input into the decision to join Central west and are looking at their options to play in a more competiive Competition.
Probably ranks as one of the Tri-Colours worst seasons for over a decade and it looks like a long 2016 season coming up - I wonder who the lucky Coach is going to be after the disadsters of the previous 3 or 4 years

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The word is that not all is well in the Coota Camp - certain players aren't happy they didn't have much input into the decision to join Central west and are looking at their options to play in a more competiive Competition.
Probably ranks as one of the Tri-Colours worst seasons for over a decade and it looks like a long 2016 season coming up - I wonder who the lucky Coach is going to be after the disadsters of the previous 3 or 4 years

No club will ever please all members, particularly when it comes to such a big decision. I guess the difficult thing for those players who want to remain in SIRU is that the nearest club for them now is Junee or one of the uni teams.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
It's the glass half empty or full syndrome for Coota - they had about 22 or 23 regular layers this year but weren't prepared to work hard & get some new recruits and have 2 Grades - so what do they do ? take the easy option "glass half empty" and move to a 1 Grade Comp with more travel in it than the SIRU Competition.My spies tell me that nobody knows what is going on with the committee who keep making decisions without input from the players and members

Status
Not open for further replies.