• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

I also heard some other awful things about yesterday's Regatta but it has not been mentioned on this forum so perhaps it was all a storm in a tea cup.

The world of rowing can be very small - especially since Clubs train on a Saturday morning - you never really know who is in a little rib in the area. It might be me - or it might be super man - or bat man. Who knows :rolleyes:

What I will say is this - if you are not doing anything wrong and have a genuine love of the sport any sport not just rowing - you would have nothing to hide. If you were a coach that the best interest of his or her crew in mind you would learn the rules and inform the crew of them as well. A child is a reflection of his or her parent just like a crew is a reflection of the coach.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I also heard some other awful things about yesterday's Regatta but it has not been mentioned on this forum so perhaps it was all a storm in a tea cup.

What else did you hear of LBA? I heard of some exceptionally poor work from the starter, even worse than it usually is at H&C

L

LBA

The bat phone is ringing I must be off - but was it the starter or the umpire ??

Two very different job descriptions. But again I really don't know what rules AAGPS play by so again it might all just be B/S.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
The bat phone is ringing I must be off - but was it the starter or the umpire ??

Two very different job descriptions. But again I really don't know what rules AAGPS play by so again it might all just be B/S.

I think both, with the starter starting heats in both the first and second eights without warning and without crews being ready, then some questionable steering decisions.
Obviously SBHS need to train their volunteers a bit better....

L

LBA

Right then - nothing to do with what I heard on the grapevine.

I thought steering decisions were made by coxswains?

So each AAGPS school has its own pool of volunteers / boat racing officials they use then. Once a year they put the call out to come and help at the host school Regatta. Well I have that all wrong as well. Not much that I do know then.

I have used Rowing NSW website as a good resource but no it is this forum that has all the knowledge. My bad seriously.

:):):):):):):)

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Right then - nothing to do with what I heard on the grapevine.

I thought steering decisions were made by coxswains?

So each AAGPS school has its own pool of volunteers / boat racing officials they use then. Once a year they put the call out to come and help at the host school Regatta. Well I have that all wrong as well. Not much that I do know then.

I have used Rowing NSW website as a good resource but no it is this forum that has all the knowledge. My bad seriously.

:):):):):):):)

The umpires have flags which can be used to direct coxswains to either side if there is a collision likely, not as common at SIRC.

Well, in my experience the school can put a call out to parents/coaches for some jobs such as timing, boat driving etc, but sometimes they are supplied by RNSW, depends on the regatta

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
My understanding is that crews row around from their sheds and beach in between races at many and various places around Hen and Chicken.

To the best of my knowledge no formal substitution or withdrawal paperwork would be completed for AAGPS Regatta's held on Hen and Chicken - again I stand to be corrected.

So it would come down to slide of hand so to speak for one of the AAGPS schools to swap rowers in between heats and finals. Disgusting is a word that comes to mind - however having visited the AAGPS website there are no rules clearly on display. At SIRC the withdrawals and substitutions have a formal process. Who would do this at Hen and Chicken Bay? Would it be up to a representative of the AAGPS to enforce them or would it fall back to the volunteers. Should all the crews be photographed at the start and a check take place at the finals. Sad that perhaps a process of honesty might have to discussed.

Really????? I think we need to take a Bex and have a good lie down! It's a complete shit subbing crews at the umpires desk at the jetty. You want coaches to speed across the course in their tinnies one hour before hand when they're also supervising then on and off the water or rowing around??? Switches happen all the time. I think 'disgusting' is a little of an overreaction.

Most convenors just enter crews to appease the rowing bureaucrats more than a week before and have too much supervising SCHOOL KIDS (not ELITE ADULT MEN or WOMEN). We really need a reality check here. You don't get the same reaction when there's a replacement before run on in the 1sts, 2nds or 3rds rugby games or in in fact any other teams sports.

Yes. These regattas do rely on a lot of first time volunteers and shit happens at the start. One of the first problems is weather conditions and levels of experience... These kids are learning to compete even with a few years if competition under belt. Hen & Chicken is a crap course... Most crews arrive and race and row back home. Beach or pontoon space is tight etc.
Nothing much can be drawn from H&C races except perhaps a pecking order of results, nothing more. As noted, the sterile, Big Brother environment of SIRC is the only level playing field (or pond!)

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Also there seems to be an expectation that AAGPS 'rules' are written down in a tome larger than the Tax Act. The reason the GPS lets in other schools to race is because is a polite thing to do... Should it be "Oh sorry.. You can't race because you're not one of us??" The tradition of the GPS has evolved on good practice, winning with humility and accepting defeat graciously. You can't legislate that kind of stuff but it seems many here think it ought to be so. Really? Because we have written rules no one will break them? Tell that to Volkswagon! Tradition is primarily passed on from one generation to the next, often within a framework of just fair play. You don't see our Indigenous Australians passing down their traditions and beliefs in a over drafted written legalese in triplicate. They care for their traditions and guard them without the need to dot point everything and bind it a leather cover.

My point is if you have to refer to the rule book all the time, you've actually lost the essence of sport and fair play. We're not playing for sheep stations here.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Really????? I think we need to take a Bex and have a good lie down! It's a complete shit subbing crews at the umpires desk at the jetty. You want coaches to speed across the course in their tinnies one hour before hand when they're also supervising then on and off the water or rowing around??? Switches happen all the time. I think 'disgusting' is a little of an overreaction.

Most convenors just enter crews to appease the rowing bureaucrats more than a week before and have too much supervising SCHOOL KIDS (not ELITE ADULT MEN or WOMEN). We really need a reality check here. You don't get the same reaction when there's a replacement before run on in the 1sts, 2nds or 3rds rugby games or in in fact any other teams sports.

Yes. These regattas do rely on a lot of first time volunteers and shit happens at the start. One of the first problems is weather conditions and levels of experience. These kids are learning to compete even with a few years if competition under belt. Hen & Chicken is a crap course. Most crews arrive and race and row back home. Beach or pontoon space is tight etc.
Nothing much can be drawn from H&C races except perhaps a pecking order of results, nothing more. As noted, the sterile, Big Brother environment of SIRC is the only level playing field (or pond!)

fpiglet normally I would agree that a Bex is in order for most of the barneys which get stirred up here; however I want to be specific about the nature of the swifty being pulled.

I know that coaches swap rowers up and down all the time and that because of the entry deadline, the names in the programme/website may not match the crew members on that day. Everyone does it, it's a necessary evil and some coaches take advantage and stack better rowers in lower divs.

I am talking about this scenario: a crew lines up in the heat. In the middle of a four is young Charley Farley and in front of him, his mate Zitty McGee. Off they go, giving the heat everything they've got. They win the heat (or come a close 2nd, doesn't matter) but they are shattered in a way that no amount of electrolytes or ice baths will fix. Not to worry! Take it easy boys, sit out the final! At the start line of the final, several other crews notice that the blond Zitty and Charley have vanished, and been replaced with two dark-haired (and freshly energetic) complete strangers. They are very sure of this because both boys are familiar to them. Maybe Zitty and Charley even went to primary school or played club sport with boys now at other GPS schools.

This sort of stacking ventures into a whole other realm, which hopefully will be exposed if it happens again. Perhaps those complicit in the lie have already realised the jig is up. I hope so.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
It's still a pokey 1500m race on shitty water with bogans racing about in their racing speed boats, ordinary volunteers trying to do an extraordinary role in a crappy, bobbing tinny at the start on H&C. In the scheme of things it means very little.... If they did it a HOTR then another story, There could be many reasons why the sub occurred, i.e. Zitty had to run off with mum and dad to get their ski boots fitted for Vail. No more than that.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree that this is another storm in a teacup. The season has only just started and sometimes a crew just clicks and can be faster than a crew of arguably stronger rowers.

Let's see how crews cement themselves mid way through term 1 before getting excited. At the end of the day there is a natural selection anyway. If my son was in a lower crew just so they can win, I wouldn't be too impressed knowing that he should be in a higher crew, regardless as to whether they could then win that race. I would also be unimpressed with the school for having such an approach to rowing. I reckon most parents would be scathing as well.

Looking forward to term 1 already, enjoy your breaks and let's see how good this Shore crew can be next year. They are a young strong crew and will only get better. Hopefully the other crews also improve and test them. There is always the Vic schools they need to have in their sights as well.

MR

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
There is some X mas season activity, with a Joeys/Scots straight four combo racing at Reindeer this Sat coached by the Joeys' Director of rowing. No names mentioned here you have to go all the way to the draw and look at lane 8.

I guess some early junior worlds/Sydney Uni recruiting effort.

BTW - did the GPS sculling trials happen? If yes, are the results somewhere available?

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Sorry, just a question. I have noticed that in the Junior quads, Scots has only entered their 4th and 5th Yr 9 quads. Is something going on at Scots?

I also happen to notice that High is the only GPS school to enter some crews at the Reindeer regatta, as just their crews. I think those are their Yr 9 quads. More schools should definitely enter this regatta as it is a fun way to end the year before a break.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
There may have been sickness or end of year commitments as to Scots crews. Probably nothing suspicious.

Sydney High seem to have taken a more wholistic approach to their programme. Up against only the GPS they are often outclassed, so it seems they widely enter other regattas. For example, they went down to Melbourne for the Head of The Yarra... Few Sydney schools do that. I think they finished 3rd, so it gives them a gee up during their season. The Reindeer is another opportunity for the boys to get a sense it ain't all GPS out there. Good on them! The other schools with boarding etc probably find this one too difficult to attend or they're keen to go into camp.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
There is some X mas season activity, with a Joeys/Scots straight four combo racing at Reindeer this Sat coached by the Joeys' Director of rowing. No names mentioned here you have to go all the way to the draw and look at lane 8.

I guess some early junior worlds/Sydney Uni recruiting effort.

BTW - did the GPS sculling trials happen? If yes, are the results somewhere available?
Seems they're copying the SRC model of last year with a Joeys & Scots composite that went to Worlds.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Seems they're copying the SRC model of last year with a Joeys & Scots composite that went to Worlds.

The bow pair are current joeys boys, 3 seat is a 2015 scots boy and stroke is a 2015 joeys boy. It's just a club crew guys, calm down :D (They also wouldn't qualify for the junior team as two of them are too old)

Heard scots is joining joeys and shore in NZ this year as well

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
I know it happened. Providing proof is not my responsibility. As I've said before, I'm not publishing slander by naming the crew, nor do I have a stake in it at all.

In the same way that anyone there could comment that today it was windy, or that quite a few rowers caught crabs, well, it can be factually stated that unauthorised substituituions happened in order to freshen up a tired crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if "proof" is actively sought at the first regatta of 2016, but if it is, I won't be the one collecting it, nor would I think that this forum is the ideal place to make it public. I've been vocal on the topic of anonymity here, especially for students.

I am sorry to not reply for a while but i am a firm believer of being innocent until being proven guilty. And if you did know it happened how did you find out? Do you have a very close source to one of the GPS shed. Do you have sour grapes because the school you support isn't winning or do you just like to stir things up?

Status
Not open for further replies.