• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jonah Lomu has Died....

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Peter Fitz on the day in 2003 RUPA gave Jonah a special award.

"As crook as two dogs, Jonah was a shadow of the man he was, but when MC Phil Kearns asked him to come to the stage, a strange thing happened: The audience jumped to its feet and as Jonah slowly, painfully made his way to the microphone, the 700-strong throng kept clapping. On and on and on."

Too long to copy in full, link below.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...adored-all-blacks-legend-20151120-gl3oes.html

Worth a read.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
watching all the replays reminded me just how graceful a runner in full flight he was, more than just pure power, great evasive skill to put tacklers at a disadvantage. genuinely a one off

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, as soon as I head the news just about my first thought was "God I hope Foxtel re-screen that doco they showed during the Cup", it was pretty engaging stuff then, would be even more poignant now.

There was a nice piece in the doco when he went to visit Joost, who has his own serious health problems.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ that sequence & the ones with JdeV & Francois Pienaar confirmed that all three are damn good men. I'm even now willing to forgive Joost for making this tackle (try time & possible RWC if Jonah had run him over Catt-styles):

image.jpeg

Then Jonah had to go & ruin it by visiting James Small, whom I've loathed since he took Steve Gordon out illegally in '94 (YouTube vid has been taken down or I'd post it), and fark me if he didn't come across as a decent enough human too. Who'd of thunk that?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I've always suspected that his death was caused by a DVT, from the flight, that then caused a PE, that then caused a heart attack.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I've always suspected that his death was caused by a DVT, from the flight, that then caused a PE, that then caused a heart attack.

For licentious use of medical knowledge on a rugby football forum, I sentence you to consume one (NSW) schooner of draught beer.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
In another life I used to write commercials. I always really appreciated this Jonah Lomu one.

By jingos he was moving!

Then there's this.

Jonah Lomu makes you more caring about fish, and alligators and cats and rugby and elephants and even people.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Plenty more vids on YouTube but that's the pick of them IMO. Interestingly the entire Warriors squad rocked up (had Jonah's mum not sent him to Wesley College he'd likely have stayed in the 13-man code): the pall bearer in the 11 top is Warriors & Kiwis legend Manu Vatuvai. And the final haka is pretty much a who's-who of NZ rugby 1995ish - present day.

RIP & Vale.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

Plenty more vids on YouTube but that's the pick of them IMO. Interestingly the entire Warriors squad rocked up (had Jonah's mum not sent him to Wesley College he'd likely have stayed in the 13-man code): the pall bearer in the 11 top is Warriors & Kiwis legend Manu Vatuvai. And the final haka is pretty much a who's-who of NZ rugby 1995ish - present day.

RIP & Vale.

Yeah, I was surprised/happy/happily surprised to see Vatuvai shouldering Lomu. It either shows that Lomu had that wide of a reach, or that the codes have a lot more in common than is generally acknowledged (maybe New Zealand is an outlier), or both. Likely both.

I'm in the States, didn't grow up with rugby and didn't have quite the same exposure to Lomu as the rest of you. But I was first introduced to the sport when in grad school in Ireland, and two things happened: An Irish rugby player I worked with showed me videos of Lomu, and I met three Kiwis playing at Leinster in a pub on St. Patrick's Day, and they spoke of Lomu like they were introducing a coma survivor to this guy Michael Jordan. I was hooked.

If it wasn't for those four people and the way they introduced me to rugby via Lomu, I probably wouldn't be on this board right now, so I owe them and Lomu that.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Has anyone else noticed that the New Zealand response to everything is do a haka.
"Prime Minister John Key we are a bit concerned about global warming." "No worries. We'll just do a haka."
"Prime Minister, what should we do to stop ISIS?" "Let's do a haka at them."

Great way of solving problems. I have depicted it in a picture here:
Kiwi problem solving.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Forcefield, and long may it continue mate!! I would be incredibly proud if I knew I was going to be honoured with a haka at my funeral. But don't worry it's a kiwi thing:D

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Remembering Jonah" tonight at 7:00 (BrisVegas time) on FS1. Synopsis is pretty much non-existent but could be worth taping & watching during the break in the Dubai 7's.

Status
Not open for further replies.