• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Oxlade (6)
The cost of the goldcup for the u17 team is $960 /boy .There are a total of $500 of raffle tickets supplied to each boy to sell to offset the cost.I am just settling the discussion with the truth.

Well said and even after the raffle tickets that's still $460 too much.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Tashara,

Whilst it may have been a good win within the BJRU comp, no win is ever easy. It was definitely not an easy win for the Gold Coast boys, the Brisbane Pink team only lost by a disallowed try. I believe the 2nd team finished 5th. The Logan and Brisbane White boy's will give them a run for their money, and never write off WA. They have been training 4 times a week since early October.
The 15's this year are really spead out, as in, no team really is stacked.
There are boys in Ippy, Logan and Brisbane teams that are really evenly talented and Skilled.
The Gold Coast team, I am told have lost a couple of players and Ippy has Gold Coast prop in their team?l. Maybe someone from the Coast might enlighten us on this.
No doubt The Vic and W.A teams are the ones to beat again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Gold Coast team, I am told have lost a couple of players and Ippy has Gold Coast prop in their team?l. Maybe someone from the Coast might enlighten us on this.

Correct: Big Gold Coast prop playing for Ippy.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anyone go out and watch the Ippy v Logan game yesterday. Would be interested in hearing how they went.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone go out and watch the Ippy v Logan game yesterday. Would be interested in hearing how they went.
Was a scrappy old affair, as you would expect from a trail run.
Both teams showed some individual glimpses but not a lot of real structure.
Logan won the game with some early tries putting them ahead, but late in the game Ippy clawed their way back.
I feel the real worry for both these teams will be their work rate and fitness.
A more mobile pack will run both teams off their feet.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Was a scrappy old affair, as you would expect from a trail run.
Both teams showed some individual glimpses but not a lot of real structure.
Logan won the game with some early tries putting them ahead, but late in the game Ippy clawed their way back.
I feel the real worry for both these teams will be their work rate and fitness.
A more mobile pack will run both teams off their feet.

Fitness issues? Haven't they been in camp for a while?....who did the damage for both teams? Standard any better than previous years?

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Nope standard was lower.

Thanks "Old Red" I have a feeling that the lower standard you suggest , might be the standard across the board in the Queensland JGC outfits this year, as pre competition favorites in QLD were supposedly Logan, I have seen nothing to suggest otherwise judging by what I have seen in Brisbane, unfortunately

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks "Old Red" I have a feeling that the lower standard you suggest , might be the standard across the board in the Queensland JGC outfits this year, as pre competition favorites in QLD were supposedly Logan, I have seen nothing to suggest otherwise judging by what I have seen in Brisbane, unfortunately

There are certainly some very notable names and quality players missing from U15's this year, I'd say at least 5-6 of the very top players are missing from the Brisbane sides .

Edit just realized (thanks Tashara) a couple of 'missing' were in the Ippy side so probably more like 4-5

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well that seems to be the case, there are a few boys not playing JGC but you can only judge whats in front of you.
Tho I expected a lot more from Ippy and Logan, I'm going to put it down for what it was, a trial.
I was leaning towards Logan as the top city based team in their pool, after what I saw and heard on the grape vine yesterday, Brisbane White might just be the ones to watch, Not sure if Brisbane have a trial game, but I'd like to see it if anyone knows.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Well that seems to be the case, there are a few boys not playing JGC but you can only judge whats in front of you.
Tho I expected a lot more from Ippy and Logan, I'm going to put it down for what it was, a trial.
I was leaning towards Logan as the top city based team in their pool, after what I saw and heard on the grape vine yesterday, Brisbane White might just be the ones to watch, Not sure if Brisbane have a trial game, but I'd like to see it if anyone knows.

Hay, I went for a look and agree it was ok. Was really looking forward to seeing Ippy play as they have a great front row, well that was a let down, Logan on the back of Ippy errors and poor handling easily put points on the board. But as it went on Logan started to fade an Ippy struck back with a few late tries.
For me Brisbane White look really strong their tight 8 look sharp, mobile and they hit hard. If they play anywhere near their ability, their back will have an abundance of room to tear it up.
Brisbane Blue may just have the best back line of the local teams, just a little more depth than the Logan back line who have 2 standouts in their team.
Really the talent in the Brisbane region is spread out this year. Will be interesting indeed.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
There are certainly some very notable names and quality players missing from U15's this year, I'd say at least 5-6 of the very top players are missing from the Brisbane sides .

Edit just realized (thanks Tashara) a couple of 'missing' were in the Ippy side so probably more like 4-5
Indeed there seems a few are not playing, I have also been informed that Logan lost their best half and prop to a NZ school over Xmas.
This is all part of the going on's that happen in sport, especially as the boys get older and have to make choices to suit their future.

Dalton2565

Frank Row (1)
Logan is without 4 of their best starting players - Prop, 2 X Backrow Forwards and a Centre.
These boys are all now playing in New Zealand

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Logan is without 4 of their best starting players - Prop, 2 X Backrow Forwards and a Centre.
These boys are all now playing in New Zealand
Wow, see thats tough. But good on them for chasing their dreams.
The fact is tho, others are given a chance to show their wares now.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Alright it all Starts this weekend, best of luck to all the boys and teams for the coming weeks. I'm looking forward to see some great rugby. :)

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
I heard the Melbourne boys got done by ACT. U15's was 25-7 or near abouts and the U17's was 12-10. the U17 game was cut short 40 mins, due to an injury. Hope he's ok.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Apparently the team that wins out in their Pool goes straight through to the Semi Finals on March 19th and the Winner of Pool A v Pool B plays the Winner of Pool C v Pool D in the National Final on March 26th

Pool D seems like a very deep pool with Western Australia , Logan , Gold Coast and Brisbane White all supposedly having claims

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
it will be interesting to see with the merge of the Sydney and Brisbane teams how these other states will go. should be a good comp this year, with some close games.

Status
Not open for further replies.