• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I probably actually agree, he is an outstanding 10, and take out contracted players is the best in town! My issue is him getting picked out of second grade and the message it sends. Actually one of the two colts players picked played under 20's for Aus and has been picked up by the brumbies, but again why isn't he playing first grade if he is that good? And the other was an Aus schoolboy the year before but if being an Aus schoolboy gives you automatic selection then we have a couple of boys at QBN that should feel entitled to a spot!

They both played in the current Australia U20s, and Connal has just returned to Royals I believe...

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
This years NRC may be more intriguing in the make up of the squad. Some of the Brumbies personnel decisions could influence this team.

As the Super Rugby players are parachuted in and out go the JID foot slogger’s. I expect the Vikings to take the maximum number of Super Rugby players

Brumbies and players decisions that could have significant effect on the Vikings and local player choices

1.Stephen Moore – his decision to go to Qld in 2017 does not have a direct effect being the Wallaby captain and unlikely to play. However, the cascading effect is whether the Brumbies are happy with Anae as 3rd choice hooker in 2017 behind Mann-Rae and Abel or whether another hooker is signed prior to the NRC. Maybe Ready or Mafi from Qld. If that is the case they probably wouldn’t be wanted up North. Ready as a Super player becomes one of the contracted Super players whilst Mafi would be like Anae or Toua this year an extra contracted professional.
2.Ben Alexander – does he stay or go. No unlikely call up to the Wallaby’s. Has the pub to consider or an overseas contract to finish. This year they were able to play rookies with him.
3.David Pocock – contract situation unknown. Would be offered flexible contract if he wanted it. Do the Brumbies call for auditions for Open Side Flanker. Aus Under 20’s recent graduates or 7’s players post Olympics. With Perry moved interstate there could be a ring-in. Could Dan Penca be affected as his age might be to late to start a professional career.
4.Jordan Smiler – has been a stalwart in 2014-2015. Early 30’s France is enticing. The Oakman-Hunt twins were blooded. Maybe Tom Cusack or OJ Noa.
5.Christian Lealiifano – having the flexible contract probably not available and will miss his leadership and presence. The keys to the backline will be tossed to the rookies Nick Jooste and maybe Jordon Jackson-Hope. May require the two older heads who are great at this level but haven’t broken through, in Rod Iona and Isaac Thompson. Does Mitch Third get an invitation to return.
6.Tomas Cubelli another cascading effect. With Dowsett and Powell as back up at the Brumbies will the want them leading separate teams. Does this affect the back up in Brent Hamlin or Mitch Douch. Or do the chase interstate for Mitch Shortt or Pulver or pluck a Qlder.

Reactions: mst

Wendell

Stan Wickham (3)
Disappointing post as McKellar had moved on from Vikings to Brumbies. Was to have coached UC Canberra Vikings as part of input from Brumbies. Larkham's call up to Wallabies affected this as McKellar's role changed to incorporate bigger picture and Brumbies Interests. Brad Harris as coach not a conspiracy but 2014 JID premiership coach.
Hoping for Wayne Southwell's input as Snr Asst Coach to Brumbies nomination.
agree Caputo. Did McKellar not leave the Vikings at the end of 2012 after winning a couple of comps? I doubt many of that squad would still be there? Simply another case of Tuggeranong bashing....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isaac Thompson on the Brumbies bench for this weeks trial..........

Further proof that the Tuggeranong conspiracy has claimed Bernie?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry I was referring to Jordan Jackson-Hope but I think I have it wrong, I don't think he made the final cut for the squad!

He's been signed on by the Brumbies on a development contract and is starting this week......

Damn Tuggeranong-illuminati!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Isaac Thompson on the Brumbies bench for this weeks trial....

Further proof that the Tuggeranong conspiracy has claimed Bernie?

Rumour has it that the Tuggeranong-illuminati "bought" Burnie and his family awhile back.......free Vikings Club's membership!:eek:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I can sort of see now why Michael Jones might get up people's noses.

But anyway, the revival of the name Kookaburras might not be such a bad thing.

Brumbies are considering reviving the Kookaburras – the traditional representative team from the ACT. The Kookaburras will wear traditional Canberra colours of blue, gold and white.
"In the NRC year we'll go into a combined team, it won't be the UC Vikings it will be the ACT Kookaburras playing in that competition," Jones said.
"There's a really bright future there and I hope everyone focuses on that and gets on board. I've been in discussions with the ARU and come season three we will have one Canberra team."

Interesting that he said "ACT Kookaburras" rather than "Canberra Kookaburras", which seemed to be used more often (even prior to 1995 and when referring to the ACT team)... It has more of an alliterative thing going on.

Blue, gold and white should be fine... IF it's majority white.

The other question, though, is what happens to the Vikings' funding. Are they still paying in without putting their name on it?

If not, Jones might be just charging the quarter of a mill or so for the team to the Brumbies/ACTSNWRU.

And hopefully it's not all about buying more "Yellowfests".

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
ACT Kookaburras is it is for 2016, according to Michael Jones this morning

I wonder if the general public will accept this or will they see it as a backwards step and / or the old boys club asserting their power?

Hard to market the past to a new generation. Its a dated identity.

Personally it doesn't resonate with me and I think frying pan to fire.

At least Jones is trying to broker some peace, but I stand by my prediction it will come at a cost for ACT rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I wonder if the general public will accept this or will they see it as a backwards step and / or the old boys club asserting their power?

Hard to market the past to a new generation. Its a dated identity.

Personally it doesn't resonate with me and I think frying pan to fire.

At least Jones is trying to broker some peace, but I stand by my prediction it will come at a cost for ACT rugby.

How would it be seen as a backwards step? From memory a number of people seemed to have issues with them playing in Vikings colours and under the Vikings name. This solves that. Surely it would be a positive step.

It appears to be reverting back to a true representative format. Perhaps the name 'Kookaburras' is a little dated. What would you have them call it? The Canberra Capitals?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
How would it be seen as a backwards step? From memory a number of people seemed to have issues with them playing in Vikings colours and under the Vikings name. This solves that. Surely it would be a positive step.

It appears to be reverting back to a true representative format. Perhaps the name 'Kookaburras' is a little dated. What would you have them call it? The Canberra Capitals?

A lot of people see the NRC as a new thing, separate from ACT clubs, independently operated, and needing to be financially viable (with a backer). This does not deliver on any level.

It looks like a step back to the old ways and past which is associated with politics, the past and a history that does not align with the NRC concept.

The Vikings model although not ideal was successful because it provides what no other organisation in the ACT can. Facilities and financial support.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously the Vikings branding/colours upset a few, but an outdated brand with another blue/gold playing strip is the last thing this competition needs.........

But whatever occurs, I just hope that the team remains financially secure...........

Shutting off the Vikings tap to placate the old boys network could bite them in the ass.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A lot of people see the NRC as a new thing, separate from ACT clubs, independently operated, and needing to be financially viable (with a backer). This does not deliver on any level.

It looks like a step back to the old ways and past which is associated with politics, the past and a history that does not align with the NRC concept.

The Vikings model although not ideal was successful because it provides what no other organisation in the ACT can. Facilities and financial support.

From how I read it this team will be run by the Brumbies. I also think it is an attempt to draw more of the ACT Rugby community in that may have felt alienated by the heavy Vikings involvement.

Personally, I saw no issue with the Vikings set up. They were willing to foot the bill so they had every right to use their colours and name.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Obviously the Vikings branding/colours upset a few, but an outdated brand with another blue/gold playing strip is the last thing this competition needs...

But whatever occurs, I just hope that the team remains financially secure.....

Shutting off the Vikings tap to placate the old boys network could bite them in the ass.

Probably our greatest curse in the game. The old boy's networks.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Personally, I saw no issue with the Vikings set up. They were willing to foot the bill so they had every right to use their colours and name.
Absolutely. Would still be better off sticking with the Vikings and covering the bills.

But no, that money's not good enough for the ACT. Wrong colour.

Anyway, it seems the red has now been boned...

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Absolutely. Would still be better off sticking with the Vikings and covering the bills.

I look at the Sydney NRC - shute links and associated issues as an example of why this is going to be political and problematic.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I guess the theory is provide a 'united' team and they'll draw more people to games who would not have come because of the Vikings involvement. Personaly I see it as specious reasoning. Insular and pandering.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I look at the Sydney NRC - shute links and associated issues as an example of why this is going to be political and problematic.

Absolutely. We now have the possibility of Southern Districts jumping ship from the Rams to the Nth Syd Rays. Honestly Qld have got it right with the Union controlling the NRC squads.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The ARU should take direct control of the 3 Sydney teams if they already haven't: appointing coaches, running training camps with ARU funded personell and combing resources between the teams where possible.

At some point in the future the NSWRU will get off the couch and realise it can be a part of the game or a spectator.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.