• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015/16 Rugby 7's Round 4 - Sydney 6/7 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Gaucho

Frank Row (1)
I was at the sevens. Fantastic day. My only frustration was the last series of play by NZ. I counted 8 players on the field by NZ when the last series of play from the penalty started, and they used the players shifting right to left. Would be good to look at a reply if someone has it available

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hands down best atmosphere I've ever experienced at the SFS, that's including the Tahs semi against the Brumbies in 2014 and Tahs V Lions in 2013. Christ today was unbelievable, so excited to go again tomorrow!!

T

TOCC

I was at the sevens. Fantastic day. My only frustration was the last series of play by NZ. I counted 8 players on the field by NZ when the last series of play from the penalty started, and they used the players shifting right to left. Would be good to look at a reply if someone has it available
You're absolutely right, there were 8 kiwis on the field and they were all involved in the play in some way.

These two screen shots were taken momentarily apart as you can see the ball still in flight as the camera pans. In the first photo you can see 7 players, with 3 backs lined out and 4 players getting up from he last ruck, however in the second screen shot as the camera pans, a 4th back comes into view.
f3a5609933f149c77e765605b74ba650.jpg

c087b90cd2d9146c5be09f6a1cf0a856.jpg

T

TOCC

Bloody cheats.. It's irrelevant in the broader scheme of things, but would have been a wonderful finish for the crowd on day 1 of Australia had won.

Ian Paytens reporting that world rugby are investigating and have referred it to the Australian team, New Zealand may be stripped of the win.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I was less than earnest in that post. :)

Apparently the England and SA squads are down to 10 men so the Aussies might prefer the result stand.

It could be no reward once again.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Leave it as is, just make them field 6 players when we meet them in the final :)

Just about to leave Canberra to watch day 2. Very excited.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
World Rugby has awarded New Zealand a special "Innovation Accolade" after their brilliant tactic to turn Rugby 7s into Rugby 8s in Sydney on Saturday (local time).

Needing to score late in the game to avoid defeat, the men in black called upon the spirit of Richie McCaw to simultaneously cheat their way to victory, and invent a new type of rugby in the process.

"I've seen rugby 7s, tens, and of course fifteen-a-side", said Nigel Owens, one of New Zealand Rugby's biggest fans, who also referees rugby at Test level, "but to invent a new game on the fly, and avoid defeat in the process is just genius, boyo!"

Sources at World Rugby would not be drawn for comment on the matter, though one official did say "what heppuns on the field stays on the field, bro!"

:D

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Eight players on the pitch in a Sevens game? Truly revolutionary thinking by Tietjens there -- and a lot better than the idea of fielding a team of cripples and aiming for the sympathy vote, as was trialed earlier in the season.

Forward thinking ideas such as this, and the Blues 13 man bench, are among the innovations that keep NZ rugby at the top of world rugby in all formats.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great day. Wondeful advert for the game. The security was a bit ott and the beer queues were a disgrace as usual especially when the school trust that after waiting in line for 45 mins we could only buy 2 fucking mid strength beers for 8 bucks a pop. Fucking scg trust out do themselves again!
Well done aru and world rugby tho. A truly awesome party and I was sitting with a 7 year Hong Kong veteran who said the vibe was very similar.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The security was a bit ott and the beer queues were a disgrace as usual especially when the school trust that after waiting in line for 45 mins we could only buy 2 fucking mid strength beers for 8 bucks a pop.

I actually thought the security was pretty good, in the South Stand anyway. They let everyone have a good time and didn't get too heavy handed. A game of cricket broke out late in the night with an inflatable beach ball and an inflatable baseball bat, and instead of shutting it down the copper came in and insisted on having a bat!!

As for the beer queues, they just seemed wholly underprepared for the demand. I don't mind the limits on drinks so much, as long as I can get them quickly. It should have been a quick production line- 2 super drys,$15.60, thank you very much sir. But it took ages.

By 7pm though the crowds had thinned a bit (people definitely went too hard too early) and I could just walk up and get two beers easily. The night got better from there!

And the Gozleme out the back of the South Stand was top notch.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't expect much to happen here.........

World Rugby can confirm that it is investigating an apparent breach of Law 3 (number of players on the field of play) by the New Zealand sevens team.

The alleged incident occurred during the second half of New Zealand's Pool A match against Australia on 6 February.

In accordance with Law 3.2 the result of the match will stand, but World Rugby is currently reviewing the matter to determine if any disciplinary action is warranted.

No further comment will be made until the outcome of the investigation.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Official World Rugby statement relating to an alleged incident at the HSBC Sydney Sevens.

"World Rugby can confirm that it is investigating an apparent breach of Law 3 (number of players on the field of play) by the New Zealand sevens team.

"The alleged incident occurred during the second half of New Zealand's Pool A match against Australia on 6 February.

"In accordance with Law 3.2 the result of the match will stand, but World Rugby is currently reviewing the matter to determine if any disciplinary action is warranted.

"No further comment will be made until the outcome of the investigation."

Usually I'd post a link but that's the whole statement.

I have a feeling that the "8th player" had just been subbed off. I could be wrong, tho, as it had been a veery long day (predictive text wanted to say "beery" which would also have been true :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.