• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

oncewasaback

Frank Row (1)
I'm not going to lie,

I really enjoyed the first squad up first, Hunt played really good made some solid hits and in general looks like he's adapted really well from NRC!

the second squad, if that comes out, well might as well go back to a club rugby level, not getting the ball out of the scrum, I get it, being locked in super low but fuck get that ball outta there otherwise it's just going to be penalty after penalty (unless Richard is holding off for the main season to show proper tactics?)

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm not going to lie,

I really enjoyed the first squad up first, Hunt played really good made some solid hits and in general looks like he's adapted really well from NRC!

the second squad, if that comes out, well might as well go back to a club rugby level, not getting the ball out of the scrum, I get it, being locked in super low but fuck get that ball outta there otherwise it's just going to be penalty after penalty (unless Richard is holding off for the main season to show proper tactics?)

I agree, Reds left a lot of points or there in the first half especially on the back of terrific set piece. The backs really need to do more with the ball though understandable in the wet. The second team was very young and inexperienced and understandable but IMO it's a great thing they did. The Reds need experience and the only way you get that is playing the best. Not the outcome but good signs. Should have full cattle next week with Goromaru, H. Tui & Holmes all back in the fold (first team) pushing a few back into 20s duties.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We were bloody rusty and the greasy conditions didn't help either. The firsts went ok but there's still plenty to work on. The seconds showed plenty of enthusiasm but are far too green for us to be able to carry many of them in the match day 23 at the same time.
The biggest worry is the apparent in-cohesion and the somewhat directionless rugby we've been seeing under Graham looks to be still there. It is early days though. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit uneasy though.

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think responses are a tad harsh. The A team set piece totals to more than the sum of the pieces. I think ditto the break down.

What did people think of defensive structure? Need to see more but so far OK I think.

I dont like the structure of the backline. McIntire is a To'omua style 10. Solid defense and will take it up, but he isnt showing great strength in playmaking. Basically a 12 willing to be flat. So it then is baffling to see Hunt to 15. And Greene subbing at 15 not 10. (Leave Mack out from here) we are not going to great creativity from Taefu/Karevi. Nor Kuridrani. So bring Hunt back or get Paia' involved in the A's. (Not ideal but better.)

That said, on a wet track, the kicking was reasonable quality and pretty sensible. If McInttyre can build connection with Nabuli it'll surprise some. (Not Quade-Digby but still interesting). Hunt does get involved, though without the space to act as playmaker. Could work OK on the counter.

Lets see how it looks on a dry track.

BTW, question I asked ages ago - who is backs coach? (And how is that working out for us?)

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I thought Matt O'Connor was backs coach?

Obviously it's only a trial game, but from last night it looks like they'll be employing the same structure and gameplan as last year, just with players that aren't as good.

The A team set piece was very good, although not sure what level of Crusaders team that was against.

Defence is still a worry. A team might have been 3-0 up at halftime but were lucky to not be down by two or three tries. Still kicking away a lot of possession, Frisby was getting charged down a la Genia and attack didn't seem to really have any shape to it.

T

TOCC

Well the Reds thumped the Crusaders in the corresponding trial last year, yet that result wasn't exactly a sign of things to come.

I think there were a number of positives to take away from that performance, the Reds set piece in the first half was quite good and thats without the two Wallaby props. Heck I thought there even positives to take away from the scum in the second half, Taniela copped a bit of a working over but that was against a prop who was starting in the All Blacks front row at the RWC, he lost a few scrums and held his own on a few as well, that will be a massive learning point for him.

Everyone has discussed the solid performance of McIntyre and i think he is definitely the leading contender for 5/8 now. Frisby had a mixed bag with a couple of box kicks charged down. I thought Karmichael was quite good at fullback. In the second half i though Paia'aua was the best back and put in a better performance then Taefu.

As for he younger kids, Lukhan Tui stood out for me with a few big collisions, he has a really physical presence, although he did drop the ball cold at full-time.

I would like to see some of these combos in the next trial:

9. Frisby
10. McIntyre/Greene
11. Ebuli/Kuridrani
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi/Hunt
14. Feauai-Sautia/Gibbon
15. Hunt/Goromaru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Matt O'Connor was backs coach.

MO'C is attack
Stiles is forwards.
RG doubles up HC and Defence.

The usual response is backs are driven by attack/ defence coaching. What I am seeing is that perhaps a dedicated backs coach might have been wise. Too many experiments going on in a bunch of inexperienced promise.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would like to see some of these combos in the next trial:

9. Frisby
10. McIntyre/Greene
11. Ebuli/Kuridrani
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi/Hunt
14. Feauai-Sautia/Gibbon
15. Hunt/Goromaru

Hell yes. TOCC, how do we get you into the selectors? Mate, Id be happy to see Taulagi trialling at FB if they feel Goro needs more time easing in. But I think you are on the ball with these selections.

The only other thing is if there is some slim stupid chance that Green may attack at 15; with Hunt defending at 15 but sloting back to second playmaker in attack, god knows how the back line looks when we are defending. Greene to 14 and everyone shuffles? Would have "tricky" stamp all over it and the first time they try it better not be in a S18 match.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Lucky non of you are the coach. U would do a worse job than graham.

I would have liked to be coach but the worldwide search obviously did not get outside Brisbane.

I probably would have done a worse job than Graham as you said, but at leas the Reds would be showing the loyal fans that they actually looked for a coach instead of keeping one of the boys clubs and n the process possibly losing Gill.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Can anyone going today pass on the Downs v Reds U20s score? And any highlights (especially if the boys from this way do well!)? Thanks in advance!

There are some photos from the game here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/albums/72157663791218320/with/24736286202/

Plus a few for the forum...

24736286202_9e58f174c7_b_d.jpg

24486483829_17e3b55753_b_d.jpg

24854333235_74fd4dd1e0_b_d.jpg

24761128591_1808435e1a_b_d.jpg

T

TOCC

Hell yes. TOCC, how do we get you into the selectors? Mate, Id be happy to see Taulagi trialling at FB if they feel Goro needs more time easing in. But I think you are on the ball with these selections.

Tualagi is in team rehab otherwise I would agree, not sure when he is due back but not for the first few rounds at least. Taulagi's injury is another reason I think they are trialling with Karmichael and Greene at fullback, there isn't much depth in the position besides Goromaru.

In saying that I still think Karmichael has the potential to be a very good fullback, he has always had good aerial skills, kicking and defence, it's just his positioning and reading of the game which was below par in 2015, but those aspect appeared to improve significantly during the NRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I hadnt realised the Taulagi injury. Perhaps my conspiracy theories can be locked in the cupboard.

Hunt is fine at FB. Just for me, if he is to be a key leader in the backs, and we need both a leader and a playmaker, then its more important to the team for him to be in the centers.

I guess the Taulagi injury explains as well what is going on with Greene. Shows some respect for him actually.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tualagi is in team rehab otherwise I would agree, not sure when he is due back but not for the first few rounds at least. Taulagi's injury is another reason I think they are trialling with Karmichael and Greene at fullback, there isn't much depth in the position besides Goromaru.

In saying that I still think Karmichael has the potential to be a very good fullback, he has always had good aerial skills, kicking and defence, it's just his positioning and reading of the game which was below par in 2015, but those aspect appeared to improve significantly during the NRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree with some of what you say about Hunt..

His aerial skills last year were generally sub par (he spilled a number of up and unders , some of which were not seriously contested - but it appeared more to do with his positioning rather than the actual catching part - he seemed unsure of others around him which could just be the new game thing to be fair), his kicking whilst generally long was often misdirected being either straight down someone's throat, or a kick that clearly unexpected by his team mates given the lack of chasers. His in game kicking last night was no better than anything last year or it skewed off the side of his boot and went out.

His defence is really good, and the lines he runs in attack are often sublime, he just doesn't seem to have the ball passed to him when he charges through the gaps for some reason.

Based on the catching and kicking part, I think he would be better in the centres than at fullback.

T

TOCC

his kicking whilst generally long was often misdirected being either straight down someone's throat, or a kick that clearly unexpected by his team mates given the lack of chasers. .
It didn't matter who was kicking last year, the wingers rarely chased, even when it was quite obvious that a clearing kick was about to occur.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@Reg

Bloke, well done on the commentry. Can I purchase a Fox pass that gives me you rather than the other dopes?

If Im going to offer one thought, I'm guessing you didnt have live feed from the ref? A couple of times I wanted to hear the ref when you guys were chatting. For my "perfect commentry" thats it. Before multiple camera angles and guys on the sidelines.

Well done bloke. Enjoyed it.

:)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
thanks mate. My co-commentator had the ref's ears on. I didn't.

We're up again on Friday night, so more than happy to take feedback.

So specifically after penalties? You'd prefer to hear the ref talk and describe the infringement?

Like I said, i couldn't hear him so couldn't tell when he was or wasn't talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.