• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015/16 Rugby 7's Round 4 - Sydney 6/7 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
As soon as Australia started stuffing around trying to run the clock down with 30secs to go, I knew, with absolute certainty that NZ would win. They always do in those circumstances.
The difference is NZ believes they are going to win, no matter what.
Australia hopes, but doesn't really believe. Frustrating to watch.

Australia is improving though and hopefully they learn from this pain. They got themselves into a winning position by attacking and then tried to hold onto a (very) slim margin by just holding onto the ball and not really doing anything. At this level and especially against NZ, that's not going to cut it.

Speight is worth persisting with IMO. He's strong over the ball in defense and got a couple of good turnovers for us this weekend. He also made a couple of try-saving tackles. He certainly has a lot of work to do in attack though, he got held up a bunch of times this weekend and generally was just a bit ineffective.

As a team, the one thing Australia desperately needs to improve immediately is staying focused after scoring. So many times we score a great try and then immediately let in a soft try from the opposition within a minute.

I love watching sevens and love our team, but man is it painful to watch them a lot of the time!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Best tournament that we have played for a few years. The new coaching staff have turned things around in a remarkably short time. Still some rookie errors which ended up costing us - Kick-off just on half time, Kingston giving away penalty, Speight not getting to ground.

Our chances in Rio have improved since the departure of Geraint John, but there's a bit to do in a short time.

A few observations after attending my first tournament:

The standard of play is high -particularly the top 6 or 8 teams and the levels of fitness that these guys display is unbelievable.

The noise when Fiji play at the ground can't be appreciated on TV.

The whole atmosphere was fantastic; a mixture of party central and families with people from lots of different places mixing and having fun.

Can't wait till next year.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
He didn't look at home to my eye. He may get it with time, but I couldn't see the value in him playing it so far.

It is getting late in the day as well with Rio so close, i'd be sticking with proven 7's performers. I am not sure what Quade can contribute and worry he'd stuff up at critical moments, there is no hiding on a 7's paddock.

SBW did ok but looked lost and knackered at times and probably tried to be too physical and got carded. such a brutal sport.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great weekend. Shame we lost the final.

Lewis Holland played the best tournament I've ever seen him play and Henry Hutchinson was terrific.

Fantastic atmosphere and I thought the event was really well run. The crowd was allowed to be loose enough and beer queues were shorter than most Tahs games despite a much boozier crowd.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
yeah the two newbies Kingston and Spleight made fundamental errors in the last 30s of real time. hang on to possession, keep passing, don't get tackled, basically play keepings off.
wonder what, if anything will be the outcome of last nights 8 v 7 game

Probably be a stern talking/slap over the wrist too whoever stuffed up, probably manager or/and the subs ref. Nothing else can happen really, once the game finished it you can't change result or anything.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It is getting late in the day as well with Rio so close, i'd be sticking with proven 7's performers. I am not sure what Quade can contribute and worry he'd stuff up at critical moments, there is no hiding on a 7's paddock.

SBW did ok but looked lost and knackered at times and probably tried to be too physical and got carded. such a brutal sport.

Agree about QC (Quade Cooper) reds, can't see him getting enough training or playing time to be risked at Rio. Probably a bit unfortunate, because with enough training and experience he maybe a help, without it he could be a big liability.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Few of us chatting today trying to work out which Wallabies' 15s players might be good at 7s (although not that I'd be calling for other 15s players to be drafted in, just hypothetical). None of us thought Speight was getting it fast enough, similarly hard to see Cooper getting there in the time-frame, or ever. The defensive mind-set would take some getting, all players need to be good at hitting and getting onto the ball fast if needed - I don't doubt he could get there, but I don't think it will happen nearly fast enough for anyone's liking.
Hooper probably stands out - fast, strong, good motor to play at high intensity, strong defender. But I wouldn't swap him. I like where the squad is going in 7s.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Probably be a stern talking/slap over the wrist too whoever stuffed up, probably manager or/and the subs ref. Nothing else can happen really, once the game finished it you can't change result or anything.

If anything they could take series points away as punishment. But at the end of the day I don't think final results would have changed that much anyway as NZ and the Aussies both made the final. I think it would have been much more controversial if the Aussies had been knocked out in the Quarters or Semis.

T

TOCC

Australia have moved from 8th to equal 4th after the results of the last two tournaments, its a 3 way tie at the top between South Africa, New Zealand and Fiji.
CamZNXDUMAAo4XL.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
McMahon and Gill would do a job very quickly I suspect. That said, pace is what the team is really missing and neither of those two would help all that much.
I was thinking mainly of mainstream Wallabies' starters, but I did consider them; Gill a terrific player, just not quick enough; McMahon probably not quite either but has other attributes. Some of those Kiwi big players were pretty quick, and you're right, pace has to be a selling point.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Best tournament that we have played for a few years. The new coaching staff have turned things around in a remarkably short time. Still some rookie errors which ended up costing us - Kick-off just on half time, Kingston giving away penalty, Speight not getting to ground.

Our chances in Rio have improved since the departure of Geraint John, but there's a bit to do in a short time.

A few observations after attending my first tournament:

The standard of play is high -particularly the top 6 or 8 teams and the levels of fitness that these guys display is unbelievable.

The noise when Fiji play at the ground can't be appreciated on TV.

The whole atmosphere was fantastic; a mixture of party central and families with people from lots of different places mixing and having fun.

Can't wait till next year.

Yes great weekend of football and fun had with myself and five mates. Fantastic event that was well organised in a carnival type atmosphere that kept us entertained and feeling like in one big party that including watching great 7's rugby over 2 days.

It exceeded all of our expectations.....got to hand it to the organisers and ARU as they nailed it.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I was thinking mainly of mainstream Wallabies' starters, but I did consider them; Gill a terrific player, just not quick enough; McMahon probably not quite either but has other attributes. Some of those Kiwi big players were pretty quick, and you're right, pace has to be a selling point.
Oh, well then Folau is the obvious choice. He'd be devastating. Pace is something that's been lacking across Australian rugby for years now, it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oh, well then Folau is the obvious choice. He'd be devastating. Pace is something that's been lacking across Australian rugby for years now, it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

He's fast enough and powerful enough to make gaps / half-breaks, but not "top-end" fast. But he's so bloody talented I'm sure he'd be good. Damn good within 15-20m of the opposition tryline. Jeloudev had some nice wheels today.

T

TOCC

I wouldnt be against chasing this 19yr winger in the NRL; Gideon Mosby, can apparently run a 10.24sec 100m and i think his skill-set would be better suited to Sevens anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Foley, Beale, Hooper and McMahon would be our best bets.

Our biggest problem is out and out speed. NZ probably have 4 players who can gas just about all our players.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.