• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Riverview improvement I flagged about a year ago is continuing slowly but surely. Top 3 in every race but two. Whereas highlights of Scots' performance included a grab bag of 4th, 5th and 6th places, not to mention dead last in two races (by more than a minute). They must be cracking the champers over that 3rd in the 2nd VIII. Thanks for reminding us of the quality in the 3rd VIII division, Johnny Come Lately. A very good race today and always a good indicator of the depth of a school's program.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
What a interesting day of racing with Shore pulling the trigger in the VIIIs having the two fastest VIII's in the GPS.
The IV's are very interesting with Riverview back on the top step but i don't think Shore are finished just yet.
Scots having a average day going backwards. 4th in the 1st VIII race was a surprise with all the training i assume they do.
I also thought Joeys would be a bit better in the 1st and 2nd IV but a still a solid performance.
Im also very happy for Kings coming 3rd at their own regatta after having (lets be honest) a terrible past couple of years.
Anyone have any idea why Newington 2nd VIII scratched (Sickness/Injury)

I feel its still to early to predict the podium of any of the IV's but the VIII's i'm fairly confident that it will either be Joeys or Shore on the top step with Kings and Scots fighting it out for the final spot on the podium.

Bring on the State Championships LTR.

L

LBA

Maybe the Joeys people who are now at Riverview took the fluro caps with them??

Whatever the reason good on them for improving it is great to see - hard work paying off.

Kleenex will be out of business if KT and ML end up in the carpark crying together.

This time last year Joeys was in a much stronger position - what are they doing wrong - the IV's were very competitive prior to Christmas now all over the shop getting worse not better.

I was not impressed by the times of the VIII's - no under 6mins like year ! Both Shore and Joeys were under 6 at the same Regatta last season. I have not seen a come back from the margins from today 8.52 and 8.73 between Shore and Joeys has anybody ???

I hope Joeys did not build a new trophy room because it will be bare unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I still get annoyed that there is no real recognition for the 3rd VIII they train hard like everybody else. Joeys 3rd VIII has continually performed. The coach I have heard is a legend and is a very humble kind man.

Well shall see if there are changes this week - there should be I would not be happy if I was a coach.

Oh and did anybody get caught by the barrier police - I was heading to the facilities at the 2km mark and was very abruptly told back behind the barrier. I said can I take the toilet block back with me ?? I get it that the start zone is a quiet no go zone but the toilet block is for everybody.

L

LBA

Oh and Joeys 4th IV was doing better before Christmas - the crew they had today was slower - came 2nd yes but the Joeys 4th IV crew combination that raced at the Joeys Regatta won with a time of 7:14.42 which was faster than the Shore time today of 7:14.52.

And before you mention conditions blar blar blar I get it but but still if I was the coach I would not have swapped anybody out.

If it is not broken do not fix it - and there seems to be a lot wrong at Joeys at the moment. Which makes me say again being a good rower does not make you a good coach.

Marcusrowing

Frank Row (1)
Anyone care to comment on the large margins of the first IV race this weekend? Riverview beating shore by almost 9 seconds and Joeys a further 7 seconds behind Shore. Riverview had a fast 2nd Km and based on the margins, shore just couldn't hang on. How do you think this will shape up for head of the river?

stern-bow

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone care to comment on the large margins of the first IV race this weekend? Riverview beating shore by almost 9 seconds and Joeys a further 7 seconds behind Shore. Riverview had a fast 2nd Km and based on the margins, shore just couldn't hang on. How do you think this will shape up for head of the river?

I find it very difficult to believe that riverview 1st iv managed to beat the next best GPS competition by nearly 9 seconds when they have an, lets face it very average second VIII. Now a Yr10 2nd VIII managed to beat the time that riverview 2nd VIII set yet their 1st IV is so amazing. Im not going to say much more but if rivervew are stacking their 1st IV it is an absolute disgrace. Also Joeys 2nd IV did look good, beating there own 1st iV by 6 seconds. Shore 3rd Iv managed to also beat the their own 2nd iv

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Leave the personal stuff out of it dude.

As far as your aspersions against ex rowers now coaches, 2 I know got 2 wins and two 2nds at last years HOTR and last week a win, 2 2nds and a 3rd.

Good coaching for mine.

I don't get what's personal there? LBA has been on about the "does a good rower = a good coach" for about two years now.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I find it very difficult to believe that riverview 1st iv managed to beat the next best GPS competition by nearly 9 seconds when they have an, lets face it very average second VIII. Now a Yr10 2nd VIII managed to beat the time that riverview 2nd VIII set yet their 1st IV is so amazing. Im not going to say much more but if rivervew are stacking their 1st IV it is an absolute disgrace. Also Joeys 2nd IV did look good, beating there own 1st iV by 6 seconds. Shore 3rd Iv managed to also beat the their own 2nd iv

Didn't the same thing happen at HOTR a couple of years ago? Very red faces because one school's Fourth IV bested their First IV. And there seems to be more movement of personnel in the fours all season than in the eights. Why, I can't imagine. Clearly the changes in the Joeys fours did not bear fruit last weekend, that was obvious (with the exception of the 2nds). Whatever reason there may be for Riverview's 1st Four/2nd VIII disparity, at least we had the honesty of ONE race per division, so no unofficial substitutions.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)

Don't go shouting bloody murder just yet.
At least two boys in the first four for view yesterday were in the second eight last term (with one of them being in it last year). Often it happens that there are mishaps during the selection process, whether that be illness, injury, or boys going on holidays. These mishaps can ruin the accuracy of selection, however the coaches hands are tied, and they must be transparent with their selections.
Something similar may have happened at joeys, and possibly King's, with their first four being convincingly beaten by the second four in the u19 race later in the day.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Don't go shouting bloody murder just yet.
At least two boys in the first four for view yesterday were in the second eight last term (with one of them being in it last year). Often it happens that there are mishaps during the selection process, whether that be illness, injury, or boys going on holidays. These mishaps can ruin the accuracy of selection, however the coaches hands are tied, and they must be transparent with their selections.
Something similar may have happened at joeys, and possibly King's, with their first four being convincingly beaten by the second four in the u19 race later in the day.

Yes i think this is the attitude everyone needs to take when we accuse people of "stacking" which happens a lot on this forum. It was Shore last year and now its Joeys and Riverview this year. Lets give these crews the benefit of the doubt. At the end of the day if your good enough you will win.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Maybe the Joeys people who are now at Riverview took the fluro caps with them??

Whatever the reason good on them for improving it is great to see - hard work paying off.

Kleenex will be out of business if KT and ML end up in the carpark crying together.

This time last year Joeys was in a much stronger position - what are they doing wrong - the IV's were very competitive prior to Christmas now all over the shop getting worse not better.

I was not impressed by the times of the VIII's - no under 6mins like year ! Both Shore and Joeys were under 6 at the same Regatta last season. I have not seen a come back from the margins from today 8.52 and 8.73 between Shore and Joeys has anybody ???

I hope Joeys did not build a new trophy room because it will be bare unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I am still get annoyed that there is no real recognition for the 3rd VIII they train hard like everybody else. Joeys 3rd VIII has continually performed. The coach I have heard is a legend and is a very humble kind man.

Well shall see if there are changes this week - there should be I would not be happy if I was a coach.

Oh and did anybody get caught by the barrier police - I was heading to the facilities at the 2km mark and was very abruptly told back behind the barrier. I said can I take the toilet block back with me ?? I get it that the start zone is a quiet no go zone but the toilet block is for everybody.

"Not impressed by times of the VIII's" I think you should check what the conditions were before you make comments like that in future but i think you have to be impressed with Shore having the two fastest VIII's

I would imagine (i hope) there will be lots of changes this week to make the competition more interesting

L

LBA

Check what the conditions were - I was there I was aware of the conditions. SIRC did not turn on water like glass but it the conditions were not bad. Racing was not called off or postponed. No green water :D:D and if you don't know what green water is - Google it before you have a go at me yet again.

I could say toughen up and get on with it. But I would not tell anybody what to do - I check the weather all the time for lots of reasons - the white flags lining the walk way to the island were not put there as windage flags for snipers, no they are to help assess wind conditions just as the black and yellow markers at the start are not their to guide incoming planes that want to land. All these things were carefully positioned many moons ago to help everybody race to the best of their ability. Just like the trees were planted to actually protect the course against wind.

What about the boys themselves? If we have changes in my crew it can be frustrating Mary is getting her hip replaced so we have to have Alice - we all like Alice but we don't win races with Alice. There is just something about Mary !!

I am just asking questions and making observations which some people might say is actually intelligent. But what would a Dude like me know at all.

State Champs next week - same pond but more fish in it - well will just have to wait and see the results and of course take the conditions into consideration as well. :rolleyes: The online results don't mention conditions but.

Maybe you think it is personal because I unfortunately hit a nerve. Again I could just say toughen up - if you cannot handle the heat from the kitchen say out of the kitchen.

L

LBA

Fluro caps / white caps / no caps who really cares - rowing is a life long sport. Fat old, tall, short the zootie fits us all.

I will be watching all the live results from the website. Disappointed I will not see the tin soldiers in action - are they going to be flown up by private plane again this year? Or was that just a rumour last year.

I don't think there is anything on the Rowing NSW website that indicates the conditions at each Regatta is there? They stream live results but that is all.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
First and final warning for all.

Read the G&GR rules. They apply to this thread as well.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/welcome-to-g-gr-history-and-rules.7341/

If you want to discuss rowing, then do so.

If you want to slag each other off, then do so somewhere else.

Rules of the forum
<snip>
6. Play the ball not the man. Personal comments will be deleted and you'll get a card or ban.
This also applies to comments about players, coaches, Referees and other public figures. Feel free to criticize their play and decisions with reasoning, but not slander them as a person.
"Like last weekend, he's always seagulling and it gives me the shits" is OK.
"He's a f*ckwit who'll never amount to anything" is not.
Only a complete knob jockey resorts to personal insults anyway.
<snip>

Reactions: LBA
L

LBA

All the best to each and every rower for the rest of the season - it does not matter which crew you are in - the fact that your butt is on a seat is the most important thing.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Check what the conditions were - I was there I was aware of the conditions. SIRC did not turn on water like glass but it the conditions were not bad. Racing was not called off or postponed. No green water :D:D and if you don't know what green water is - Google it before you have a go at me yet again.

I could say toughen up and get on with it. But I would not tell anybody what to do - I check the weather all the time for lots of reasons - the white flags lining the walk way to the island were not put there as windage flags for snipers, no they are to help assess wind conditions just as the black and yellow markers at the start are not their to guide incoming planes that want to land. All these things were carefully positioned many moons ago to help everybody race to the best of their ability. Just like the trees were planted to actually protect the course against wind.

conditions were very slow on saturday, made a big difference in the boat, sure nothing was cancelled, but it is very rare wind is that bad at sirc. To say the conditions were not bad is probably quite ignorant of what was really happening, especially if you were there.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
So this important point is spelled out clearly in the IGSSA rules of rowing.

Can anyone locate a similar rule that's actually written down for GPS regattas? The AAGPS website is opaque to say the least.

Just to be clear, I am steering away from the stacking conversation but asking if it's within the rules for any school (but in this case, a non-GPS) to enter one senior eight in the 3rd VIII race, as happened on Saturday. The margin made it painfully obvious that the winner was not a 3rd crew at all.

I am assuming the same will happen this weekend at NSW championships but as it's not a GPS regatta, that's fair enough. Not really in a fair spirit, but no doubt within the rules.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 5.42.13 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 5.42.13 pm.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 198
Status
Not open for further replies.