• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
In early 2014 an ambitious thread was launched on this forum. Not content with discussion of an athletic manner, while also disillusioned with the lack of scholastic allusions in political forums, one contributor resolved to create a new space where those interested in the rhetorical arts could discuss, banter, harangue and yes - you guessed it - debate school debating.

Though the forum got off to a slow start, it gradually earned notoriety, and perhaps even infamy, amongst school debating circles, and aliases of all kinds - representing schools from all over the place - began to pop up.

Results were conveyed efficiently, jokes were told heartily, and verdicts complained about occasionally.

Liam Donohoe (perhaps better known to us as aka_the_think), we salute you sir!

In 2016, the turn of the new year has seen a changing of the guard. The illustrious class of 2014 and subsequently the class of 2015 have stepped aside, moving onto bigger and better things, while a new breed of young rhetoricians wait in earnest as pre-season training camps build anticipation.

Consequently, the previous forums - which were designed to deal exclusively with the year 2014 and 2015 and nothing else has become obsolete. Despite a significant rise in value, demand for a new forum has increased significantly - it is truly the veblen good of G&G.

Therefore it is with great pleasure that I provide a supply to meet the people's demand, as did my honourable predecessor in 2015.

The primary aim of this forum - and I say this with all sincerity and without any irony - is to actually discuss debating, but banter will be tolerated, if not encouraged (but be respectful).

This year the thread hopes to build on the success it achieved last year and the year before - it'd be great to have more people involved across a larger spectrum of competitions/schools so that more results are posted and the speculation isn't limited to the same old crowd. And - contrary to the geographical prefix assigned to the forum's title - contributions and discussions from interstate will be accepted.

In 2016 we are sure to see the return of the usual crowd, as well as some new faces/pseudonyms. Because this forum's appeal goes beyond standard debating circles (I imagine) I will update Mr Donohoe's previous introduction:

For the uninitiated, debating in NSW is a highly competitive affair, indeed it is probably the most competitive state/territory in the world, let alone Australia. There are a few main competitions that run throughout the year at a school level:
ISDA (Independent Schools Debating Association) - ISDA is made up of 32 independent schools (as you probably figured). It is generally considered to be the most prestigious, and also the most difficult competition to win. It runs during terms 1 and 2, with competitions in all years from 5 - 12. At opens levels there are two tiers - Senior A and Senior B. Scots College is the reigning champion of the ISDA Senior A title.
GPS (Great Public Schools) - Many would be familiar with the GPS, the 124 (odd) year old academic/sporting union between Sydney Grammar, Sydney Boys High School, St. Ignatius' College (Riverview), St. Joseph's College, Newington College, The Armidale School, The Kings School, The Scots College, and Sydney Church of England Grammar School (Shore). The GPS competition is an interesting competition, as it isn't the quantity of the teams that makes it difficult to win, but rather the quality of the teams - every team is strong (generally). Sydney Boys High is the reigning champion of the Opens 1st competition, they were undefeated in 2015. This competition is contested in term 3.
CAS (Combined Associated Schools) - The CAS, like the GPS, is a union between a number of well-know schools throughout NSW, including Cranbrook School, St. Aloysius' College, Waverley College, Trinity Grammar School, Knox Grammar School, and Barker College. Barker won the competition in 2015.
Catholic Schools Debating Association - The CSDA competition isn't a particularly prestigious competition, but it is one of the largest competitions in NSW with over 200 schools competing. This competition runs from the later stages of Term 1, through to the start of term 3 if teams make finals. I don't know who the reigning champion is.
CHS (Combined High School) - The CHS competition is very large, and is highly competitive. The Premier's Debating Challenge is the name given to the competition, which is administered by the Arts Unit, a department of the government that aims to provide arts-based opportunities to school-aged kids in the public education system. In the year 11 & 12 competition, North Sydney Boys High School won in 2014. This competition runs between terms 1 and 3.
Archdale - The Archdale competition is administered by AHIGS (Association of Heads of Independent Girls Schools), with 21 schools in it, this competition is among the most competitive in NSW. The competition runs from the later stages of term 1, through to term 2. The 2015 chamption was Methodist Ladies College.
SDN (Schools Debating Network) - This is a small competition that runs in term 3 that includes St. Ignatius' College Riverview, Wenona School, Ravenswood School for Girls, Abbotsleigh School for Girls, Pymble Ladies College, Pittwater House, and Stella Maris.
Friday Evening Debating - A B Grade competition contested in Terms 1 and 2 by a number of elite schools which are involved in other more prestigious competitions at the same time.
Eastside Debating Competition - A competition that it is mainly competed in by schools around the Eastern suburbs of Sydney. This competition is often won by SCEGGS Darlinghurst, Sydney Boys High School and Sydney Girls High School as they enter their highest teams in the open grades, due to not participating in ISDA. Currently, Sydney Boys High School are the reigning champions.
Clearly there is an abundance of competitions in Sydney, and I am sure that there are many more that I haven't named.
In addition, there is a large amount of representative debating that takes place around Sydney, including fixtures between GPS, CAS, Archdale, and CHS merit representative teams.
Perhaps most importantly, there is a NSW-wide representative team, the aptly named NSW Schools Debating team, which has won the most Australian Schools Championships (out of all the states and territories) by a fair margin. Beyond that, there is an Australian Schools team, which competes at a World Schools Debating Championship, which, thankfully, Australia has won the most of, again by a fair margin.
On a side note, NSW Universities consistently perform well at World University Debating Championships, especially the University of Sydney.

So, to get things started, does anyone have any predictions for any of the major comps? Or, perhaps preferably, any good pent up banter that's itching to be released?

I'm hoping for another fabulous year of debating in NSW schools, so I implore us all to participate and discuss an art which will always take a special place in everybody's heart.

Let the debates begin!

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Couple of things to update on the overview. Archdale has 22 schools with the addition of Mount St Benedict in 2015. SDN in 2015 was Riverview, Wenona, Abbotsleigh, Stella Maris, St Pius, Monte, Redlands and Roseville
The only other main comp I can think of is HICES which is independent co ed schools from across NSW which runs across 4 rounds within the different metro and state regions in terms 1/2 and a series of playoffs in terms 2/3.
Nationals are being hosted in NSW this year and World Schools is in Stuttgart, Germany.
There probably isn't much in terms of useful preseason stuff like what kings had last year as I don't think that is happening this year, in terms of uni run schoola days, Sydney tends to just run a training day for it's first one, the only other ones I'm aware of are Wollongong and Macquarie and I don't know what schools are going to maq's senior schools competion in mid Feb.

Angela Merkel's Rack

Frank Row (1)
Couple of things to update on the overview. Archdale has 22 schools with the addition of Mount St Benedict in 2015. SDN in 2015 was Riverview, Wenona, Abbotsleigh, Stella Maris, St Pius, Monte, Redlands and Roseville
The only other main comp I can think of is HICES which is independent co ed schools from across NSW which runs across 4 rounds within the different metro and state regions in terms 1/2 and a series of playoffs in terms 2/3.
Nationals are being hosted in NSW this year and World Schools is in Stuttgart, Germany.
There probably isn't much in terms of useful preseason stuff like what kings had last year as I don't think that is happening this year, in terms of uni run schoola days, Sydney tends to just run a training day for it's first one, the only other ones I'm aware of are Wollongong and Macquarie and I don't know what schools are going to maq's senior schools competion in mid Feb.
Thanks for that, Al92.

1. Would you happen to know where in Sydney/NSW the Nationals are being hosted?

2. Any early predictions for the state team? Traditionally the selection process tends to be a bit controversial so it'll be interesting to observe how that develops.

3. I heard on the grapevine that this year MLC will be the team to beat in ISDA, even with their teacher-turmoil recently. Would you happen to know who's likely to be on their Senior A team?

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
1. I know some schools have been asked to express interest. However Im not aware of any venues being confirmed. Given school only resumed in the last week, it probably wont be locked in just yet. Id have to speak to someone involved in that stuff to know for sure. From memory the rounds take place at a bunch of different schools to minimise the demands on the schools that host

2. Probably need to look through last years teams/results to make some educated guesses.

3. Agreed. I dont know how MLC arranges its Senior teams for ISDA but I remember that their senior b team was in the grand final last year (but lost to Grammar). Dont know if thats their senior a team this year.
Really dont think the teacher turmoil would dramatically change things. It doesnt really affect coaching staff and it would drastically change enrolments given the difficulties of leaving and joining a new school, especially at senior levels.

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
Just on that point, debaters:

I have to say that over the last few years, I've definitely seen ISDA's standard slipping further and further down the pecking order. Let's take 2015 as an example:

In Senior A, Scots College beat St Ignatius to take the title. In GPS, Scots barely managed to make an impact in that division or any other really, winning just TWO DEBATES in First Grade. Riverview didn't do much better, winning just FOUR. Even Grammar (who claimed they got unlucky in the quarters) didn't even win the competition, getting demolished by both Sydney Boys High and Newington in the season. The best non-GPS school, Abbotsleigh, were inferior to SCEGGS Darlinghurst and MLC across all year groups.

In Senior B, MLC beat Grammar convincingly in the final. While admittedly this Grammar team won GPS 2nds, it was a scrappy season and in 2016 it is likely just one of their members will move up to 1sts (James Manton-Hall). On my experience in this division, Riverview had a more solid team than Grammar did and they lost in the Quarter Finals of ISDA to Monte/St Thomas.

Obviously, I have accepted in all this that Methodist Ladies College were quite accomplished in 2015 as they will be in 2016. However, even they were inferior to SCEGGS in Archdale (who admittedly had one outstanding debater, Imogen Harper).

My conclusion is that non-ISDA teams such as SCEGGS Darlinghurst and Sydney Boys High are putting the vast majority of ISDA schools to shame. We should perhaps pay more attention to the Eastside Competition in 2016, where these schools and Sydney Girls High (who will have Australian Team member Eden Blair in Y12) will field their best teams during Terms 1 and 2.

Particularly, GPS and Eastside champions (and CHS runners-up) Sydney Boys High have two returning debaters from last year's top team (including NSW team member Thomas Shortridge) and I've heard whispers than the Class of 2017 may be just as deep in talent.

Thus, ISDA's website may look nicer than before, but it's debating might need to step up a bit.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think there are factors that hurt the quality of ISDA, I dont think the analysis above is indicative of that, rather inconsistent outcomes in finals.
What hurts isda is 1, the size of the comp. 32 schools is probably too many because 2, massive judge pool. over 60 judges required each friday plus a large pool of reserves. Whilst competing against coaching spots and FED, Eastside. Many dont do uni debating so the CA has to rely on their debate CV and rep. Being a good debater doesnt mean being a good judge either. 3. Some schools really shouldnt be in ISDA. They get stomped every week, its demoralising for them and they dont really get much out of it, lack the coaching needed and take the place of schools that could be in ISDA like newington and sceggs. 4. Topics are hard to get right and some topics will throw a team because they dont understand it as well as the other team or they run the wrong case or it is intuitively weighted. Its always been a problem so less of a factor to the decline in quality.

Ok, lets talk about 2015.
I dont think what you say shows that ISDA is slipping necessarily but rather that the finals produced a series of odd results. Even then, not necessarily true.
I would agree that MLC is probably stronger than abbotsleigh was, however as a team, Abbotsleigh was stronger than SCEGGS. SCEGGS had one really amazing speaker, but just the one. One only needs to look at the Archdale ladder to see how abysmal SCEGGS did in Archdale main rounds and had a very lucky run to get to the grand final given their main round performance. GPS season results varied a bit from ISDA but CAS/Archdale teams at the top were pretty consistent. MLC on 1 loss in ISDA, made octos and finished 2nd on archdale ladder and won it. Monte undefeated in main rounds, made quarters, topped archdale ladder and made semis. Barker undefeated in main rounds, made quaters. Did extremely well in CAS.

On senior b, I imagine aka_the_think would have more insight on view teams if he makes a reappearance but I wouldn't necessarily rate the senior b team higher than grammar. Its a decent team and nice people, but several of the senior b teams are stronger and there were a couple of reps speakers who were in that division as well. Not surprising they didnt make it as far as their senior a counterparts.

Eastside is similar to ISDA in a strong gap between top teams and the rest. It isnt necessarily a stronger comp on the whole, even though Syd Boys/Girls and SCEGGS are strong performers.

For Given octos means half of each pool makes finals, its probably worth putting up the list of pools (ill do a separate post) and then people can make their guesses. I suspect we will see the usual suspects in finals with most being GPS schools plus Barker, Knox, Aloys and then the strong archdale schools like MLC, Abbotsleigh, Monte, Loreto and Kincoppal. In terms of standouts, Tangara's year 10 team last year did quite well in isda and archdale and so if that team stays together in senior b, will be one to watch out for. There are probably some others as well but something to look into later.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pool A
Grammar
Kincoppal
Loreto Kirribilli
Tangara
PLC Sydney
Redlands
Kings
St Augustine's

Pool B
MLC
Riverview
Monte
Kambala
Queenwood
St Luke's
Roseville
St Josephs

Pool C
St Aloysius
Abbotsleigh
Cranbrook
Shore
Ascham
Brigidine
St Catherine's
Stella Maris

Pool D
Scots
Barker
Ravenswood
Pymble
Knox
Trinity
Wenona
St Andrew's

Ok, so my picks
Senior A
Pool A
Grammar
Loreto
Kincoppal
PLC Sydney

Pool B
MLC
Monte
Riverview
Kambala

Pool C
St Aloysius
Abbotsleigh
Cranbrook
Shore

Pool D
Barker
Scots
Knox
Ravenswood

Senior B
Pool A
Grammar
Loreto
Tangara
Kincoppal

Pool B
MLC
Monte
Riverview
Kambala

Pool C
St Aloysius
Abbotsleigh
St Catherine's
Shore

Pool D
Pymble
Scots
Knox
Ravenswood

There isnt much variation and Im going alot off last years results and what I know of various schools and teams.
The challenge is also how schools do their A/B teams as I know a few that have mixed teams and some which just put the y11s into B. One more remark I would add in relation to my prior post is I noticed Wenona throws out odd results. It does pretty badly in ISDA but does well in Archdale.

Feel free to list your guesses, and maybe come octos see who came closest to getting all 32 teams in senior a/b.

#1 Rugby Fan

Bob McCowan (2)
Ok, so my picks

One more remark I would add in relation to my prior post is I noticed Wenona throws out odd results. It does pretty badly in ISDA but does well in Archdale.

^^ on the above note, I happened to be watching the Archdale semi Wenona Year 10 won and honestly they were abysmal. The way the pools had worked and which schools debated others meant that PLC Sydney, which was top of the ladder in Year 10, was knocked out by MLC (very strong) in quarters. MLC was knocked out by SCEGGS (just as strong, ended up winning the final). On the flipside, Wenona debated Tara. Both teams ran quite incohesive, rambly arguments. Very disappointing semi final especially when compared to SCEGGS v MLC.

If this is the Wenona team you are talking about, their Archdale success was purely luck of the draw.

#1 Rugby Fan

Bob McCowan (2)
@Angela Merkel's Rack @Lindommer because they're not Methodist anymore - I believe they are uniting church? Similar thing happened with Pymble, used to be Presbyterian Ladies' College Pymble but changed churches to become Pymble Ladies' College.

Totally irrelevant but interesting school histories

joeysbuzz99

Frank Row (1)
Topics from last friday:

Isda senior: tws ban commercials advertising products relating to australia day

Fed senior: tws ban protests from extremist political parties

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
Was lurking the thread since it returned mainly as I don't really have much to contribute.

Was surprised aka_the_think didn't start up a uni debating thread. I hear he's already made an appearance in the pre-easters season alongside a few others in the uni circuit :p

Anyway, to the topic at hand

A tough Neg.

And a tough Aff.

Any surprising results in ISDA? All the expected wins?

Top topic is pretty stock Ban v regulate debate. Neg just points to all the ways you can solve social problems without the need for government intervention and attack the link between advertising and getting the social outcomes aff wants.

Second topic is really just a free speech debate, (which isn't the easiest if teams shy away from the burden) though i think the problematic part is that it specifies political parties which shifts it to a democracy debate and away from free speech and stuff like 18c. Should have been about

Actually the second topic looks familiar (though maybe in a slightly different forum) from another comp in a recent year?

Poppa Funk

Frank Row (1)
Having come off some fine rhetorical form in the previous debate, the Kings Senior As are showing some strong form. I'm sure the main event of this Friday night's ISDA showdown, between Kings and Grammar, will be a definitive ISDA finals preview. Spectators are welcome, a debating masterclass will be on display.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Top banter only works if you can follow through on it and win :p
Can think of a few people on this forum who fell short on the second part.

Something new to the ISDA website is a page about the topic policy:
Each school is asked to suggest 10 topics. The topic committee considers each suggestion and determines the topics for the season. A separate meeting is held before the finals debates.
The ISDA aims to set topics that are interesting, fair and accessible. The topic area is announced for each even numbered round to strike a balance between coaching and not over-coaching. Topics will generally become more difficult throughout the season.
This would explain the prevalence of both some of the university topics in seniors in past years as well as some of the really out there topics. idk if the CA can veto or the makeup of topics committee, but it doesnt seem as problematic as GPS topic selection has allegedly become.

No results up for round 1 yet on the website With many moving onto different comps and different schools, havent been able to track down many results yet. Anyone else?
I presume at least we know Kings def. Kincoppal based on the above? What about senior b?

On a seperate comp. HICES round 1 was this week. Topics were as follows:
Junior (5/6): That Australia should become a republic
Middle (7/8): That Prince Charles should be the next king of Australia
Senior (9/10): That the death of Queen Elizabeth is the time for Australia to become a republic
Opens (11/12): That we have more important constitutional issues to consider than whether Australia should become a republic
ISDA doesnt seem so bad now, does it?

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have seen debates where a coach or teacher will nod very deliberately to signal what a speaker should say or not and what to respond to or not. So bad that the adjudicator has to remind the audience of their conduct. And it's happened more than once. But this is next level sad. You did win though?

Best that you can do is to complain to your coordinator and have them make a complaint to the exec.

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
So some ISDA results seem to be up. Still a bunch of issues with it and missing results.
Based on it and some other results I know:
ISDA Round 1:
SeniorA
Shore def Ascham
Cranbrook def Brigidine
Kings def Kincoppal
Knox def Pymble
PLC Syd def Tangara
Kambala def Queenwood
Roseville def Riverview
Scots def St Andrews
St Catherine's def Abbotsleigh
Monte def St Lukes
Ravenswood def Trinity

Senior B
Shore def Ascham
Cranbrook def Brigidine
Pymble def Knox
PLC Syd def Tangara
Kambala def Queenwood
Roseville def Riverview
Scots def St Andrews
St Catherine's def Abbotsleigh
Monte def St Lukes
Ravenswood def Trinity

These are the results Im missing:
Loreto v Redlands
St Augustines v Grammar
Joeys v MLC
Stella Maris v Aloys
Wenona v Barker

Kings v Kincoppal (SeniorB)

Anyone know those results?

Angela Merkel's Rack

Frank Row (1)
So some ISDA results seem to be up. Still a bunch of issues with it and missing results.
Based on it and some other results I know:
ISDA Round 1:

These are the results Im missing:

Anyone know those results?
I can tell you that Grammar, MLC and Kincoppal won. Don't know the others, sorry.

Also NSW team callbacks begin today. I've heard of a few people who were rather disgruntled with their lack of opportunity, but for the most part I'm of the opinion that the most talented people are represented in the schedule.

3 year 10s made callbacks this year. Will any make the team/squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.