• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The Reds have no desire to use the ball.. its clear that RG's gameplan is built around 'negative' rugby. The scrum has become the centrepiece of a dire strategy to draw penalties to get down the field. In the first half it worked well with the No.1 pack on, but it just leads one set piece into another.. there is no phase play. Reds backline had minimal opportunities.. I cant recall any possession with more than 3 or 4 phases. The 2nd half.. migrane inducing.. the B's clearly couldn't hold the scrum YET they persist with holding the ball in and lost penalties! Queensland running rugby is dead. I dont care if its a trial, I've seen enough.

Not really a glass half full type guy are you

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Past performances are obviously a reflection of a players ability, but you can't ignore the language barrier and lack of pre-season and familiarity/combinations with the other players. This is where it falls into Hunts favour, he played fullback alongside Frisby, McIntyre and Kerevi for the NRC, this will count for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely the Japanese RWC players would have learnt basic English, if only to understand the referee's instructions/explanations.
That and the time in England, where I believe, they speak English.
Now learning Strine, that might be something else.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reg it was a top job. Yes refs explaining penalties is useful info. Can always talk through it when he's done. Honestly I'd prefer you blokes to the Fox team on any game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So for the game on Friday night it would be nice if Graham started with Greene at 10 so we can see what he has to offer. Playing him at 15 in a very inexperienced backline didn't help his cause. While I prefer McIntyre at this stage I think it would be best for all if we had a few options at 10 who at least had some game time there.

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
I agree Jets, I think Greene has to start at 10 Friday night. I have to say, I am not sure the wraps McIntyre has been getting are warranted. I understand he's a solid player, and generally makes the right decisions and few mistakes, but for the Reds to have any form of success this year we need more than solid. With Kerevi as the exception, I think our back line lacks any real strike power, and that being the case we need someone with X factor who can open the game up for the players around him. In my opinion, Sam Greene is far more likely to do this than McIntyre. Watching Greene live playing for Brothers, he is one of busiest five eighths I've seen. He works really hard off the ball to get into positions to exploit the defense which is where Quade excelled. He also has serious pace, and is for more of a threat carrying the ball than McIntyre which again puts the defense in two minds. Hopefully he gets his shot Friday and takes it with both hands.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone know who and where the reds u20's will be playing their trial games against this weekend? I do believe it is a Brisbane Premier & Reserve side.

T

TOCC

Surely the Japanese RWC players would have learnt basic English, if only to understand the referee's instructions/explanations.
That and the time in England, where I believe, they speak English.
Now learning Strine, that might be something else.

you make the assessment....

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Reds Facebook being hammered today about the trial on the weekend.

How can the Reds justify $10 more to pay at the gate compared to online?

Plenty of complaints about bird and gecko shit on the seats too.

This then turned into an anti RG rant by many.

So the question to those who attended the game, were the seats dirty? Was $35 value for a trial game?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think those prices for a trial are outrageous.

I suspect most the bird shit was in the eastern stand which is mostly unused and was only opened (I think) because of the rain.

But it goes hand in hand, if you charge that much then you expect a clean stadium.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How much are the Reds paying Goromaru?

They let him play this in the players lounge
shinobi_1.jpg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He looks like a great buy. But surely they can't have bought him with the intent to play Hunt at 15. That just doesn't make sense.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I think those prices for a trial are outrageous.

I suspect most the bird shit was in the eastern stand which is mostly unused and was only opened (I think) because of the rain.

But it goes hand in hand, if you charge that much then you expect a clean stadium.

I was in the Eastern Stand, it was pretty full, we had to sit down one end near the car park. Seats were clean but wet from the rain blowing in. We couldn't hear any of the loud speaker announcements or see the big screen for replays.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He looks like a great buy. But surely they can't have bought him with the intent to play Hunt at 15. That just doesn't make sense.

today's paper suggests that Hunt will end up in the centres, which always seemed the obvious option to me.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Could you at least get a beer this year?? I had a rant about the beer service at a Ballymore trial back in 2013 and haven't been back since.

Status
Not open for further replies.