• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
conditions were very slow on saturday, made a big difference in the boat, sure nothing was cancelled, but it is very rare wind is that bad at sirc. To say the conditions were not bad is probably quite ignorant of what was really happening, especially if you were there.

The modern rower is spoiled by SIRC.
In days of yore there used to be "run in the river" at Penrith - sometimes even on the big day: still, I guess it made the 2400m course seem almost like a dreamy 2000m.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Check what the conditions were - I was there I was aware of the conditions. SIRC did not turn on water like glass but it the conditions were not bad. Racing was not called off or postponed. No green water :D:D and if you don't know what green water is - Google it before you have a go at me yet again.

I could say toughen up and get on with it. But I would not tell anybody what to do - I check the weather all the time for lots of reasons - the white flags lining the walk way to the island were not put there as windage flags for snipers, no they are to help assess wind conditions just as the black and yellow markers at the start are not their to guide incoming planes that want to land. All these things were carefully positioned many moons ago to help everybody race to the best of their ability. Just like the trees were planted to actually protect the course against wind.

What about the boys themselves? If we have changes in my crew it can be frustrating Mary is getting her hip replaced so we have to have Alice - we all like Alice but we don't win races with Alice. There is just something about Mary !!

I am just asking questions and making observations which some people might say is actually intelligent. But what would a Dude like me know at all.

State Champs next week - same pond but more fish in it - well will just have to wait and see the results and of course take the conditions into consideration as well. :rolleyes: The online results don't mention conditions but.

Maybe you think it is personal because I unfortunately hit a nerve. Again I could just say toughen up - if you cannot handle the heat from the kitchen say out of the kitchen.

To say i know what green water is would be a lie so i googled it. (still not sure what it means)
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 6.31.50 pm.png

You also didn't hit a nerve nor was it a personal attack Hugh Jarse (Well played with the name ahah) as i was just questioning your logic when saying you weren't impressed with the times when the times were not relevant. I also wasn't questioning whether you were at the regatta or not
hmmmm.

On a different note Riverview need to sort the 1st IV out. You cannot tell me that they have the best possible combination in the 2nd VIII. According to RNSW they dropped 2 of their 2nd VIII rowers from last year which has only made their 2nd VIII even slower and their 1st IV even faster and winning by a larger margin. We are almost at the stage where we can point the finger but not yet. It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend in the fours
LTR.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
The modern rower is spoiled by SIRC.
In days of yore there used to be "run in the river" at Penrith - sometimes even on the big day: still, I guess it made the 2400m course seem almost like a dreamy 2000m.

Those were the glory days. I agree SIRC is one of the worlds best rowing facilities

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
wa
To say i know what green water is would be a lie so i googled it. (still not sure what it means)View attachment 7402

You also didn't hit a nerve nor was it a personal attack Hugh Jarse (Well played with the name ahah) as i was just questioning your logic when saying you weren't impressed with the times when the times were not relevant. I also wasn't questioning whether you were at the regatta or not
hmmmm.

On a different note Riverview need to sort the 1st IV out. You cannot tell me that they have the best possible combination in the 2nd VIII. According to RNSW they dropped 2 of their 2nd VIII rowers from last year which has only made their 2nd VIII even slower and their 1st IV even faster and winning by a larger margin. We are almost at the stage where we can point the finger but not yet. It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend in the fours
LTR.
Water that comes over the bow that's heavier than spray.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
SIRC might become one of the world's best rowing venues in years to come, ATM it's very susceptible to wind affecting the course. When the trees on the adjoining banks grow to a decent height this wind effect will be somewhat negated.

When some of the European courses are shown on TV, either set in deep valleys or surrounded by giant forests, it's elucidating to notice how little wind there is.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Am looking forward to seeing this weeks racing. The Victorian crews (Scotch and Melbourne Grammar) should be very strong, particularly the former as always.

I am guessing they will be marginally quicker though have a longer season (and here's hoping) that Shore can mow them down by the time the Nationals come along.

Either way the result goes, this weekend will be an awesome race with great times if conditions are right. 3 very good crews to watch....

MR

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Am looking forward to seeing this weeks racing. The Victorian crews (Scotch and Melbourne Grammar) should be very strong, particularly the former as always.

I am guessing they will be marginally quicker though have a longer season (and here's hoping) that Shore can mow them down by the time the Nationals come along.

Either way the result goes, this weekend will be an awesome race with great times if conditions are right. 3 very good crews to watch..

MR

Expect nudgee and BBC to be strong competitors as well, the BBC crew looks very good this year...

TBA

Frank Row (1)

Either way the result goes, this weekend will be an awesome race with great times if conditions are right. 3 very good crews to watch..

MR
Melbourne Grammar have the measure of Scotch so far this season with a lot of returning boys.

Don't need to worry about mowing them down at Nationals. They won't be there. Their HOTR clashes with semi-final day

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
My bad folks, was looking at the NSW Rowing calendar only. That's not good that Melbourne schools aren't able to compete. Always want the winner to beat all the top schools.

MR

stern-bow

Bob McCowan (2)
The QLD crews such as nudgee do in fact look fairly strong. However i strongly believe that shore will rise to the challenge and have a convincing victory this weekend in the Viii's. Also thoughts on Canberra Grammar choosing easy wins by only entering 1 four in the 4th IV division

TBA

Frank Row (1)
The QLD crews such as nudgee do in fact look fairly strong. However i strongly believe that shore will rise to the challenge and have a convincing victory this weekend in the Viii's. Also thoughts on Canberra Grammar choosing easy wins by only entering 1 four in the 4th IV division

Probably shouldn't be allowed to enter the same crew into Championship events as well (CU19+ and CSB4+). Especially when the final of the SB4 4+ is 1/2 an hour after the heat of CSB4+. Can't see what it will achieve for the boys development and struggling to find a reason other than what you suggest.

I think the CSB8+ will again head over the border to Victoria (how many years has it been now?) with the boys in blue (and red socks) from Melbourne Grammar being too strong for Shore.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Yep. KT will will be thrashing the titanium boat trailer and mobile hyperbaric chamber at SIRC.... Heats are heats but Joeys and Shore shaping up well. Though think the quality of the Shore boys will be too good. Hear they're hungry and a good bunch at Shore.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
5:48.... Shore look very long in the last 250m.... Almost effortless as they tapped it along. Joeys struggled at the last 500m.... 8 sec margin between Shore and Joeys. Game, set and match for the HOTR??
Heard KT is sending out for spare parts for the chamber....

Status
Not open for further replies.