• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmatey

Frank Row (1)
With many teams starting to prepare for the 2016 season, the Scots College is looking like a strong outfit this year. With many new players coming into the ranks from u16 and injury. Players like Hugh Beith, who was stuck in the 4ths last year due to a smashed knee, and a broken elbow (due to national skiing championships) is looking to play 2nds this year, even hoping that Brian may consider him a utility front rower in the ones.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not sure @NIS. Maybe we have a Newington aficionado lurking on the thread who may be able to provide us with their appraisal of the Black and White U16 cohort for this year.

Depending if some of the u16s play up but if they don't then watch out for there backline along with a couple of new additions maybe a 5/8 and a centre will make them probably the most dangerous attacking team in the u16s comp.

David Bower

Frank Row (1)
Joeys 1st XV Prediction

1. Layton Holley (1sts)
2. Alex Crotti (3rds)
3. Fui Gibson (16As)
4. Jack Spooner (3rds)
5. Sam Abbey (16As)
6. Angus Vivers (2nds)
7. Paddy Dalton/Joe Feltis (16As/2nds)
8. Mitieli Tuinakavadra (16As)
9. Dylan Dowling (16As)
10. Ryley Angles Corke/Matt Mctaggart (2nds/2nds)
11. Jacob Patmore (3rds)
12. Nick Wilkonson (C) (1sts)
13. Jack Quinn/Yirrbi Williams (16As/1sts)
14. Kobi Ned (16As)
15. Blaise Barnes (1sts)

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Joeys 1st XV Prediction

1. Layton Holley (1sts)
2. Alex Crotti (3rds)
3. Fui Gibson (16As)
4. Jack Spooner (3rds)
5. Sam Abbey (16As)
6. Angus Vivers (2nds)
9. Dylan Dowling (16As)
11. Jacob Patmore (3rds)
14. Kobi Ned (16As)
15. Blaise Barnes (1sts)

So glad to hear Fiu Gibson is doing well. I coach him as part of the Sydney West PSSA team. Great kid, great family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)
Someone told me that their 14s went on a rugby tour to England during the RWC, haven't heard anything about other age groups.

I understand that it was their U14s, I ran into some Newington dads in a pub or two during the pool matches of the RWC. My memory is a little hazy but I think they were doing well at that stage of their tour. Newington modified their school calendar last to better suit the world cup timetable extending those holidays by a week.

anonymous_

Frank Nicholson (4)
Newington took a mixed un14s squad to the UK during the World Cup. Most of their As in a squad of 24 or so. Ben Manion director of rugby the coach of the second xvs and. 14 s coach went. The boys won all 4 games 2 blow outs.

The boys really improved as as a group being on tour and with the quality of the coaches.

Be interesting to see how their 15 s shape up this year after the tour.

Also each year New take a 15s team to play their sister school inTonga which also happened in the term 3 break.

Hope this helps

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
TSC is off to NZ in April holidays for what is always a tough country to tour ..... Will be a strong hit out for them pre GPS

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can anyone tell me who are the top 2 contenders for the GPS title in 2016 ?
Kings, newington and joeys all look very good on paper ... See oj post showing incumbency ... And I reckon riverview will be capable of upsetting anyone on their day

However in 2 round comp , tipping joeys for 1 reason "depth" ... Plus I like the contingent of players from last years joeys 3rds that could have beat most school 1sts

Either way shaping up to be one of the more interesting seasons .... Wide open in many ways

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Oh my Oh my.

Look what we have here.

Another year, another spectacle.

AAGPS is less than 3 months away, and I've never been more excited.

This is shaping up to be the most even spread teams in recent memory. 4 main contenders being: Kings, Joeys, View and New who are all able to bring home the championship, Scots will be weak for the first time in recent memory and Shore will be a gutsy team that will be able to pull off an upset here and there, strikingly similar to their 2014 team captained by Jum Woodhill.

SO many things to look forward to, but there's one thing that I think about every day;

An ordered formation of players, in which the forwards of a team form up with arms interlocked and heads down, and push forward against an opposition. This is of course the dark arts of the Scrum. Whether it be the excellent display of Opetti from Newington week in week out at any of the front row positions or the dismal display of some who appear to* give away countless penalties, there was always something to look forward to. And now it's back.

But only one thing is certain: the prop curse remains, and this year begs to be a stunner. I guess that's two. We're back in business.

* Post edited to comply with forum rules ("2. Speak respectfully about the players")

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Oh my Oh my.

AAGPS is less than 3 months away, and I've never been more excited.

SO many things to look forward to, but there's one thing that I think about every day;

An ordered formation of players, in which the forwards of a team form up with arms interlocked and heads down, and push forward against an opposition. This is of course the dark arts of the Scrum. Whether it be the excellent display of Opetti from Newington week in week out at any of the front row positions

@George Grant..I agree it will be interesting to see the front row battles this year and I'm looking forward to Round 1.1 with equal anticipation.

New, Kings and Joeys all have some very handy front rowers who can and do play, and have proven proven themselves across all three front row positions. ..and such is the versatility of players these days that if if push comes to shove the same lads would make very handy back row benchies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Newington modified their school calendar last to better suit the world cup timetable extending those holidays by a week.

I think that you'll find that the term dates were changed in 2015 so that Year 12 didn't lose any academic time.

"Every year the calendar gets challenged by a number of factors. They include when Australia Day lands, when Easter lands, not wanting to start too early when it is hot, not wanting to finish too early at the end of the year with working parents, ensuring state school holidays coincide with our holidays, getting a balance of days between each Semester right (the aim is for 92 in one and 93 in the other), and finally getting maximum time possible for Year 12 for Terms 1, 2 and 3.
This balance is illustrated in the following summary:
2014 – Semester 1: 92 and Semester 2: 93
2015 – Semester 1: 93 and Semester 2: 92 (based on 3 week break between Terms 3 and 4)
2016 – Semester 1: 92 and Semester 2: 93
2017 – Semester 1: 93 and Semester 2: 92
Given the unusual situation of 2015, if we had a 3 week break between Terms 2 and 3 it would have resulted in 88 days in Semester 1 and 97 days in Semester 2 and Year 12 would have effectively lost a week."

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Joeys 1st XV Prediction

1. Layton Holley (1sts)
2. Alex Crotti (3rds)
3. Fui Gibson (16As)
4. Jack Spooner (3rds)
5. Sam Abbey (16As)
6. Angus Vivers (2nds)
9. Dylan Dowling (16As)
11. Jacob Patmore (3rds)
14. Kobi Ned (16As)
15. Blaise Barnes (1sts)

Joeys have a new 11 student who played NSWPSSA u12 rugby union with Sam Abbey, QLD schoolboys u15 rugby league, along with NSWCHS u16 rugby union and Newcastle Knights u16 in Harold Matts in 2015. Appears he will be a welcome addition and will be pushing for selection in the 1st XV this year as a 17 year old.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joeys have a new 11 student who played NSWPSSA u12 rugby union with Sam Abbey, QLD schoolboys u15 rugby league, along with NSWCHS u16 rugby union and Newcastle Knights u16 in Harold Matts in 2015. Appears he will be a welcome addition and will be pushing for selection in the 1st XV this year as a 17 year old.

Sounds like he's very well travelled for one so young.;)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
With a representative history like that one could only presume the young lad's a very talented footballer. I hope he's been open and honest about his immediate intentions and future ambitions; has he given a commitment to a league club? How did he manage to squeeze a Qld rep side on to his CV?

Status
Not open for further replies.