• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre Season '16: Reds v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds v Brumbies
Pre-season match, Ballymore Stadium, Friday 12 February

1. Ben Daley
2. Andrew Ready
3. Greg Holmes
4. Cadeyrn Neville
5. Rob Simmons (C)
6. Lolo Fakaosilea
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Nick Frisby
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Henry Taefu
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Karmichael Hunt

Reserves
Saia Fainga'a
Sef Fa'agase
Sam Talakai
Ben Matwijow
Curtis Browning
Hendrik Tui
Scott Gale
Sam Greene
Junior Laloifi
Campbell Magnay
Ayumu Goromaru

T

TOCC

Was hoping to see more of Duncan Paia'aua at inside centre, I thought he was better then Taefu in his limited time last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, agree. I was impressed with him big time.

Covers a few positions too, but looked strong in D and A

T

TOCC

Is this being webcast? if so what is the address?

If it's like last week it will be made a available on the Reds website about an hour before the match.. If you subscribe to their YouTube channel it should also be available on things like Apple TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
9-10-12
Cubelli To'omua Llea (tbc)
Frisbey McIntyre Taefu.

We might match the forwards and the back three (I said "might") but the game strategy and difference is right here.

Im good with Frizer. McIntyre is like To'omua-lite. 12 says it all.
Frisbey, Greene, Paia' would completely change the complexion. The choice is a coaching strategy issue.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies don't appear to have announced their team yet but I expect to look like this :-

Sio
Moore
Alexander
Arnold
Carter
Fardy
Pocock
Vaea

Cubelli
To'omua

Tomane
Lealiifano
Kuridrani
Taliauli
Toua

Mann-Rea
Ala'alatoa
Smith
Smiler
Butler

Powell
Smith
Dargaville

That's a world class forwards pack. Can't see the Reds getting on top either there or in the backs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'll take the Reds tight 5 (admit though that Squeak will have his place). Loose forwards will surprise but yes we can expect Brumbies to be better. I'm looking forward to the set piece though.

But what the Reds really need to do is match up at the breakdown and demonstrate a back line strategy that has a chance of staying with the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It will be a tight contest in the forwards. The set piece is definitely the Reds' strength again this year it seems. But the Brumbies' set piece is no slouch either. Their second team dominated the Tahs last week at the set piece, and I do expect the first team to be the best in the Aus conference this year, maybe in the whole Super comp.

And then I believe the Brumbies' replacement forwards will also prove superior, if not by much. Ala'alatoa and Ruan Smith are as strong as most other first pick front rows; Josh Mann-Rea has some Wallabies' experience though not to compare with Saia Fainga'a; Blake Enever and Tom Staniforth are as good a second row pairing as you'd expect to get in replacements; Smiler and Butler have extensive Super experience and would start in many other sides. The one weakness I can see is in the backup No 7. If Poey goes down, then there is a rather large hole left to be filled.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies

1 Allan Ala'alatoa
2 Stephen Moore (c)
3 Ben Alexander
4 Rory Arnold
5 Sam Carter
6 Scott Fardy
7 David Pocock
8 Ita Vaea
9 Tomás Cubelli
10 Christian Lealiifano (c)
11 Joe Tomane
12 Matt To'omua
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Henry Speight
15 Aidan Toua

RESERVES
Robbie Abel
Scott Sio
Leslie Leulua’iali’i-Makin
Blake Enever
Jarrad Butler
Michael Dowsett
Nick Jooste
Andrew Smith
Tom Staniforth
Jordan Smiler
Nigel Ah Wong

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
Brumbies fielding their best team. Should be a good contest. Can't wait to see SAMU and tevita against eachother.

Will be good for the youngera to go against these international players, bring it on
Go reds

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bernie seems to have had a change of heart about Christian and Matty. CL at 10 and MT at 12. Expect they will swap around a bit during the game.

No Ruan Smith? Only recently returned from Japan, so might need some more rest time. Les Leulua'iali'i-Makin has been strong in last year's NRC and last week's trial though.

I would have thought Powell might get a run over Dowsett, but that might be a reflection of the contract types each is on.

This side certainly has a finals look about it.

reds20162016

Frank Nicholson (4)
9-10-12
Cubelli To'omua Llea (tbc)
Frisbey McIntyre Taefu.

We might match the forwards and the back three (I said "might") but the game strategy and difference is right here.

Im good with Frizer. McIntyre is like To'omua-lite. 12 says it all.
Frisbey, Greene, Paia' would completely change the complexion. The choice is a coaching strategy issue.
Coaching Strategy issue for playing Taefu and McIntyre ?
Once again lucky u aren't the coach
I rate McIntyre and Taefu

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon we'll be lucky to get within 30 of that Brumbies team.
The starting XV has 4 players that haven't played at Test level and two of those were on the fringe pre-RWC.

Save us Jeebus!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so reg r u saying basically the number one reds side is going get absolutely smashed by this brumbies side????

I am suggesting it could get messy, yes. 11 internationals to 6 in the starting line up kind of sways my thinking. That figures becomes (I think) 10 to 2 if you're just looking at the last 12 months.

Yup, I'm a litttle worried how this may end up.

Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.