• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My road bike has Michelin Optimum Pros. 25s so nice compliance given you can run them at 90 psi as compared to 115-120 psi on my old 19s with comparable rolling resistance. I replaced both a couple of months back after 2 years. Had one flat in that time which was a tube failure at the valve stem. Anecdotal, I know, but pretty damn good puncture resistance for mine. I think the lower psi helps. They're not the cheapest but there is a trade off for reliability sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My road bike has Michelin Optimum Pros. 25s so nice compliance given you can run them at 90 psi as compared to 115-120 psi on my old 19s with comparable rolling resistance. I replaced both a couple of months back after 2 years. Had one flat in that time which was a tube failure at the valve stem. Anecdotal, I know, but pretty damn good puncture resistance for mine. I think the lower psi helps. They're not the cheapest but there is a trade off for reliability sometimes.

A bike shop owner told me today that no one is importing michelin any more

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
It's a hill. You have to factor in the Qlder Awesomeness Co-efficient they apply to everything! ;)

Retract your claws and have a saucer of milk ;). It is hilly and as the name suggests, a place where a lot of mounting goes on, still a real bitch to ride any type of bike up in summer heat and humidity.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Retract your claws and have a saucer of milk ;). It is hilly and as the name suggests, a place where a lot of mounting goes on, still a real bitch to ride any type of bike up in summer heat and humidity.

Relax, it's a running joke I have with some mates from Qld who are always at me to bring the bike up one time to ride it. But a bite's a bite, stinky bait and all. :D

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Buy 'em on Wiggle.

Buy local is my aim - but its getting harder and harder as locals refuse to stock: vicious circle.
Local Pinarello dealer switched to trek exclusively apparently because online sales were killing him - I thought trek were available online :confused:

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Buy local is my aim - but its getting harder and harder as locals refuse to stock: vicious circle.
Local Pinarello dealer switched to trek exclusively apparently because online sales were killing him - I thought trek were available online :confused:
My local bike store was awesome but they seem to have changed the staff in the last 6 months. Now they try and upsell when ever i go in there and the place is a bit of a mes and not as well stocked as it was in the past with stuff not available that usually is. I want to buy local but really don't need the hassle of going into a store and being pressured into buying shit i don't want.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just read that my Specialized trigger tyres are 2bliss ready. Is it worth mucking around going tubeless?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I tried it with some hutchisons - all fine until you do get a puncture or a cut and then there is no end to the mess that comes out of the tyres.

My Dad's take on it is that tubeless is easily the best option on mountain bike wheels/tyres now days but it still isn't the way to go for road bikes (mostly because of the excess mess etc.). He also uses Continental tyres and they don't make a tubeless road tyre.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Chur Bro

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...3/news-story/fb896a0ffcbe93fb0cfa6bdb86e41441

A NEW Zealand cycling fan standing on the side of the road came to the rescue of American professional Tyler Farrar by giving him his bike and shoes so he could finish Stage 3 of the Tour Down Under.
Anthony Tooman, 42, was on Gorge Road near Cudlee Creek watching the peloton fly past at speeds nudging 100km/h when Farrar was involved in a crash.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Signed up for the 100km Brissie to Bay in June. Going to have to up the training as I haven't done more than 50km in one go yet.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You shouldn't need to do a whole 100 in the leadup - don't wear yourself out before the event! :)

Keep doing consistent 40km and then the odd 70km so you can feel the difference. And don't forget your salts and minerals - first time I did 100 I cramped up like a bitch when I hopped off.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So I'm a couple of months into doing longer group rides and I think today I finally feel like I'm in the kind of shape I want to be. I actually felt really good, rather than completely knackered after the ride this morning and this was in the midst of several days of stifling heat in Perth (over 40c since Sunday).

Feeling pretty chuffed with how far I've come. It's actually enjoyable now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Safety note: dropped the car off at the NRMA up the road. The walk back is along Old Windsor Road, which is busy that time of morning, even northbound.

The skyrail is being built at the moment so there is a bit more heavy traffic than usual. In the shadow of one of these trucks, where it merges into two lanes, is a guy on a bike, with not a single fucking light on.

Riding in 80km/h rush hour traffic, by himself. With no lights or even reflectors.

Now I'm all for the 1.5m safety zone, but there are places on this stretch of road, when two trucks are side by side, where you're going to be the last thing on someone's mind, particularly if they can't see you.

FFS...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So just over 5 weeks until I attack 100km and today was my first ride in almost 3 weeks. Did 42km to work and it almost killed me. Have to try and get 3 rides in a week but it's getting very hard with lots of other sport on, for me and the kids, and I'm trying to paint the inside of my house.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I did it. Had a great day but the 500 metres of climbs in the last third killed me.
I'd want to see the course before I signed up.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I did it. Wasn't too bad, weather and three flats the biggest issue. I'm going to back up with the Brisbane to Gold Coast in October. Should be a quicker ride as all my rugby will be over and I'll be able to get in some good training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Snapped/broke a bike chain today, first time that's happened..
It was sloppy work on my behalf, trying to take off from the lights, had a car behind me and I missed the first attempt at clipping in and it all went pair shaped after that..

Is it common to break a chain? And to get it fixed, do I need to take my bike in to get a correct length chain or can they just repair the old one?