• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nerdishness and Solar power

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
She doesn't want tinting, because she "likes the light in that room in winter".

Best prevention is to stop the heat hitting in the first place IMHO - reflect as much as you can away from the building's surface, then you only have to worry about thermal (air temperature) transfer from exterior gap to glass to interior gap (venetian blinds), which should hold a lot of the rest.

The cost of installing decent exterior blinds is probably around $3K minimum, given the window sizes - 2.5m and 1.8m wide, both 1.8m high. I know what you're thinking - who the fuck installs west-facing windows THAT big?

The fucking retards who built this place, that's who. It looks pretty, but is less than practical for my needs.

Ultimately the wife's Homes & Gardens approach is fucking with my New Scientist/Economist approach. And given I have the solar system I want, I'll let it lie for now. Next summer, maybe ;)

If I'm reading the stats right, it looks like the battery got through until about 5.30 this morning after being razed by air con yesterday. That's encouraging, because if it was at 98% instead of 57% when the solar died off yesterday, it would have got us through the night I reckon.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Double glazing is of limited value in terms of keeping heat out - better in winter for thermal retention, not direct sunlight.

I disagree. DG keeps the heat out in Summer, and the heat in in Winter - same principle.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Double Glazing works when you're trying to trap heat FAR better than trying to trap cold heat. In an atmospheric environment, exothermic conditions always prevail. The only way around it is to keep the inside cold enough to let the glass gap be the buffer zone.

There is no way I'm running a ducted air conditioner - even on low - all day while its sucking 5+ kW

The cost of double glazing two windows of that size is somewhere in the region of $3000-$5000 and while there will be benefits, the ROI on that little exercise against what I'm doing now will be decades.

Might as well just buy another 5Kw system with an inverter solely for the air con in the front room. Or remove the ducted and put up a couple of split systems in key locations.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
She doesn't want tinting, because she "likes the light in that room in winter".

Best prevention is to stop the heat hitting in the first place IMHO - reflect as much as you can away from the building's surface, then you only have to worry about thermal (air temperature) transfer from exterior gap to glass to interior gap (venetian blinds), which should hold a lot of the rest.

The cost of installing decent exterior blinds is probably around $3K minimum, given the window sizes - 2.5m and 1.8m wide, both 1.8m high. I know what you're thinking - who the fuck installs west-facing windows THAT big?

The fucking retards who built this place, that's who. It looks pretty, but is less than practical for my needs.

Ultimately the wife's Homes & Gardens approach is fucking with my New Scientist/Economist approach. And given I have the solar system I want, I'll let it lie for now. Next summer, maybe ;)

If I'm reading the stats right, it looks like the battery got through until about 5.30 this morning after being razed by air con yesterday. That's encouraging, because if it was at 98% instead of 57% when the solar died off yesterday, it would have got us through the night I reckon.

One job we were on, the building used a company called magnetite I think they were. It's like double glazing, using a pre cut peice of glass, that used magnets to stick to the current window frame. It was used at Hyde park inn - Sydney- to cut out noise from the traffic below and to help them cut down on a/c use. The hotel manager said it was just as effective and cheaper than double glazing 15 storeys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Battery is a go this morning - nice cool night, no air con yesterday. Schweet

201602120625 - Copy.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Why the fuck it says its pushing out to the grid I have no idea, BTW. I've taken it up with the inverter guys to set some rules.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have to wait until the meter is changed before that can all happen efficiently - Endeavour Energy dragging their heels, because they're shunts.

So far the majority of power has gone out to the grid - 250kW thus far.

Then in March I change over to Diamond Energy, who are partnered with Reposit.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Couple of graphs out of the SolarEdge web portal for the last 24 hours.

The arrows refer to ducted air con (bedtime last night, afternoon today) or hair dryer (this evening).

GraphExample.png

Then we have a zoom on the period midnight to 6AM where the average "standby" power of the house is shown. Based on a 30% battery availability, with a 5% bottom-out, the house should be able to run in standby for 8 hours, or maybe 6 hours + breakfast prep. Will need to monitor that and see performance over time.

Depth of Discharge is an important factor with Lithium batteries, so tweaks may be required to keep it above 15% minimums to keep life of battery under warranty conditions

graphzoom.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Self-consumption is that which I am drawing either off the panels or out of the battery. Consumption is what the house is using.

Air con goes on = big red spike that none of my existing equipment can keep up with. I'd need another 3kW of panels minimum to keep up, which means different inverter etc. Screw that.

Will just chew on this gristle...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Right, so I'm getting to the point where I'm setting up a website for it, but I really don't have a good domain name in mind.

Using my name is out, because spelling it is shit. Best advice I've gotten so far is to make it something as close to Powerwall as I can manage without getting my arse kicked for copyright etc.

I'm open to suggestions

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK, so this is weird:

moonlight.png

I know there is a half-moon (little over) tonight, but are the panels really picking it up, or is this some kind of technical glitch?

Not much - about 60-80 watts - but that is kind of cool.

EDIT: its gone now, so I'd expect technical glitch. But you never know.