• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
While yes it is a loss considering the history of the Force and some of the young guys coming through can we really afford to have a marquee player as a 5/6?

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mafi is a marquee players and as so can only sign on for a maximum of 2 years.

The force applied for dispensation to re-sign alby but I doubt the aru will allow that to happen again.

so whilst it's a lose its not one that the force wouldn't have known about and it's not a sign of the sky falling again or of an aus player heading over seas to cash in as he is technically Tongan. The said article seems to have forgot that one little fact....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Definitely, also would Mafi really want to stay given Aus is a dead end for him. He could earn more overseas easily.

T

TOCC

Definitely, also would Mafi really want to stay given Aus is a dead end for him. He could earn more overseas easily.

It really depends on his reasons for wanting to be in Australia, he cited family reasons when he signed with the force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

ARU have provided a $800'000 bailout to the Force, I've included more details in the 'ARU Thread' since the issue overlaps somewhat.

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
Yep, Mafi was dynamic in the loose last year and his ball running ability will be key for us in 2016.

I think Foley will play him at lock. Because the Force have not signed a lock to cover either Wykes or Steenkamp leaving. He is nowhere near as effective there.

Ed Willett

Frank Row (1)
Good friend and Western Force Life Member David Haultain died last week, having recently been recognised by the Club on his ninetieth birthday. David was a remarkable man; an international referee in his earlier days, a medical doctor practicing in age care homes well into his eighties, and a devoted rugby lover and supporter of his precious Western Force. I will miss the times I spent watching and talking rugby with David and I hope that his support of and contributions to the Western Force will be recognised on his passing. His service is tomorrow at Karakatta Cemetry at 12.30pm.

T

TOCC

Ben McCalman was back at training this week as well. Well he was there, not training yet.

Good, hopefully they ease him back in closer to Rd5.. He deserves an off season

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't know if I agree with this sentiment. Why does he deserve an off season? He chose to go and play rugby in Japan during his off season to get more money. The ARU allowed him to play in Japan but I don't think the Force would be happy if this meant he could take off 1/4 of the season from us.

If I decide to take 4 weeks annual leave from my employer and go get a second job during that time that doesn't mean my main employer should then give me more time off.

I agree that he has played a lot of rugby and probably needs some time off but it was his choice to play in Japan.

T

TOCC

Don't for a second believe this whole process purely benefits the player, the ARU and Western Force were able to retain a player they would have otherwise lost to overseas, they offered a flexible contract full well knowing the number of games McCalman would be playing and deemed it an acceptable risk, the ARU and Super Rugby clubs aren't just an innocent bystander in all this.

It's in the Wallabies and Force's best interest to have McCalaman at his physical peak, if the Force rush him back early and he gets injured because his conditioning isn't up to scratch then they are going to face a longer layoff, or alternatively if they rush him back without and real offseason then he could be physically underdone and put in lacklustre performances all year.

It's a long season and resting him early is an investment in the future.

M

Moono75

Benny is due back round 3 against the Brumbies, plus he didn't play huge minutes on his stint in Japan with the Wild Knights. The rest is more to refresh him mentally, but by all accounts physically he is ready to go now.

Dacman82

Frank Row (1)
A disappointment for Force fans for the first match of the season.

Jono Lance was a standout for the Force and made a significant impact as the starting 10 in lieu of Peter Grant. Foley's decision to play a more expansive game may have paid dividends if not for a myriad of handling errors in the very humid conditions.

Although the tight five did manage to draw some defenders in breakthrough runs, it would appear the power of Benny Mac would probably have assisted in this area.

Marcel Brache had an awful night but the injection of new blood to the backline looks to have a lot of potential ones they start to gel and get over the first game jitters.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
You'd have to think that Mesirewa will start in place of Brache this week. Plus the injuries to Godwin and Alcock, im calling Rasolea and Koteka to be called in this week.

M

Moono75

Damn looks like Jono Lance could be gone for the season with torn pectoral muscle. Add in Godwin and Alcock.....the rugby gods aren't smiling on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.