• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think too many of these boys would have been on academic scholarships. As someone from a non private school environment I find it a little bit amusing watching the arms race that is the GPS sporting scene. Not a point just an opinion.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes it is amusing . On a number of levels.

And it's all not just the schools' fault.

And I can assure you there are more pissed off Parents in GPS schools then in non GPS Schools.

Dare we expect collective leadership from the Association ?

But while we're on the leadership hobby horse ........the member schools of the AIC also have to step up to the plate and address collective issues and how to improve their collective proposition as well.

Laurels have been rested on for too long about how it used to be and how it still should be ( but isn't ) - for all Schools.

Education has become a very competitive business

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Yes it is amusing . On a number of levels.
And it's all not just the schools' fault.

And I can assure you there are more pissed off Parents in GPS schools then in non GPS Schools.

Dare we expect collective leadership from the Association ?

But while we're on the leadership hobby horse ....the member schools of the AIC also have to step up to the plate and address collective issues and how to improve their collective proposition as well.

Laurels have been rested on for too long about how it used to be and how it still should be ( but isn't ) - for all Schools.

Education has become a very competitive business

Correct and there are waiting lists at most GPS schools.And dont go on about OP scores.Who were the top 5 schools this year??.
In short any sporting scholarships(like in NSW) have helped the GPS schools in a number of respects.
Mr Moderator -I will move this to the scholarship thread.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Spot on GO about the need to improve the way the AIC schools go about their business. From a Ashgrove perspective, the arrival of Dave Miles to the school has seen instant success on a national level in athletics, hopefully when he takes over the Firsts next year there will be an improvement in their preparation. Judging by the drills being conducted yesterday at the school by the first 15 squad, the mongrel in defence will be there this year. Looks to be a strong squad.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
your probably right . But your point is ????
of the 9 Qld boys in Aussie Schools team last year they were all from GPS schools.
all schools give out academic scholarships - so what is the problem.? good luck Iona this year.
But they got whipped by NZ so the system is failing.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
But they got whipped by NZ so the system is failing.

no
your memory is failing.
take out 2015 and the last 5 years have been the most succesful against NZ schools in last 50
aussie schools won 3 our last 5 years before 2015 including back to back in2012/3

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
no
your memory is failing.
take out 2015 and the last 5 years have been the most succesful against NZ schools in last 50
aussie schools won 3 our last 5 years before 2015 including back to back in2012/3
Sorry B+W but Aussie Schools have won twice in the last 7 years. In 2011 and 12.

And in the previous 10 years to that, only two more victories.

Four wins in 17 years. Less than 25%. Helloooooo......

http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/results/test-matches/

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Still plenty of rumours of more Iona or St Eddies boys going to Churchie? I know the 13 from last year who scored matchwinning tries against BBC and TSS was from Iona . any others this year?

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Sorry B+W but Aussie Schools have won twice in the last 7 years. In 2011 and 12.

Four wins in 17 years. Less than 25%. Helloooooo..

Four wins in 17 years. Less than 25%. Helloooooo..

So your point is what??
Thank god for qld and nsw gps schoarships or we would lose to NZ schools by 100.
it is normal and accpeted in nz schools for rugby scholarships - even to boys in Fiji ( Rokothocco et al)

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Eventually you will have multiple scholarship boys playing in the 2nds in the GPS comp. Wouldn't it be better for the depth of Australian rugby to have a strong GPS competition as well as AIC/Tas and state school system. Australia draws upon the majority of its national players from a few schools, NZ draws upon players from 20 or so top rugby schools. If we keep relying on GPS as being the only main feeder we will always struggle. It is obvious that the AIC schools need to offer more for their promising rugby players.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Eventually you will have multiple scholarship boys playing in the 2nds in the GPS comp. Wouldn't it be better for the depth of Australian rugby to have a strong GPS competition as well as AIC/Tas and state school system. Australia draws upon the majority of its national players from a few schools, NZ draws upon players from 20 or so top rugby schools. If we keep relying on GPS as being the only main feeder we will always struggle. It is obvious that the AIC schools need to offer more for their promising rugby players.

well said sir.
In NZ :
1) most the schools offer some sort of rugby bursary across many forms of comp;
2) unlike Aussie they play at the same time and the school comp is the main comp not club- so the school that goes to Japan every year is the national champ;
3) the school terms for sport are aligned across both islands - unlike Aussie where they differ state to state;
4) in NZ ; many of the school matches are on TV

Kyle MIller

Bob McCowan (2)
Within the AIC competition the skill level has dramatically decreased, each school has only 2 or 3 decent players where are the GPS competition has about 7 or 8 each team. AIC will continue to lose players to GPS schools if they don't decide to up there game a bit in terms of coaching and reputation that they are gradually losing. Also I hope IONA can back up their sh*t talk, because last time I heard they aren't in any position this year to be talking themselves up.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I hate to say it but I believe Rugby as a sport with in AIC schools will be dead within 2-5 years.
As the AIC Rugby standard diminishes parents of players with "potential"
will move to a GPS school if they are not approached. Unfortunately the reality is that if a boy wants to play schoolboy rugby for QLD and beyond he has to play rugby at a GPS school. That's not a dig at AIC schools. I hate it but it is a reality. GPS schools have better facilities infrastructure and coaching.

I hear 2 boys from Ashgrove in grades 9 & 10 have turned up at BBC.
The main reasons they gave(like the O/c at Churchie last year that was at Iona):
1)Quality of coaching(Aussie schools coach);
2) More chance of making a rep team.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
I hate to say it but I believe Rugby as a sport with in AIC schools will be dead within 2-5 years.

As the AIC Rugby standard diminishes parents of players with "potential"
will move to a GPS school if they are not approached. Unfortunately the reality is that if a boy wants to play schoolboy rugby for QLD and beyond he has to play rugby at a GPS school. That's not a dig at AIC schools. I hate it but it is a reality. GPS schools have better facilities infrastructure and coaching.

The majority of the AIC schools have a strong connection to Rugby League and it is most likely the preferred sport. The bastion of Rugby is AIC is Marist Ashgrove. Marist is entered into the Bronco's cup for 2016. This has seen a number of boys from Marist choose Rugby League as there weekend sport over playing Rugby at GPS Ashgrove.

This is the thin edge of the wedge for RL to establish itself into private schools. Once a competition or vehicle is established for the boys to play more RL I think Rugby will die very quickly.

I sincerely hope it isn't true.

Perhaps you could ask yourself why Rugby will die and RL will gain momentum!

Status
Not open for further replies.