• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not at all. Something darker and with a semi-realistic storyline along the lines of Arrow was needed to get a genuine Superhero show off the ground and get it to an audience beyond the stock Superhero one. Season 1 certainly avoided outlandish stuff where it could, then the League of Assassins, Mirakuru and stuff came along in Season 2.

My OTP of Felicity and Barry was ruined though. :(

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not at all. Something darker and with a semi-realistic storyline along the lines of Arrow was needed to get a genuine Superhero show off the ground and get it to an audience beyond the stock Superhero one. Season 1 certainly avoided outlandish stuff where it could, then the League of Assassins, Mirakuru and stuff came along in Season 2.

My OTP of Felicity and Barry was ruined though. :(

Have you just outed yourself as a shipper?☺

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Have you just outed yourself as a shipper?☺
While I was mostly joking, maybe?

I sometimes development preferences for fictional romantic pairings, occasionally against the showrunners progress. But I never considered it shipping. Shipping to me strikes up images of reading and writing fanfiction, particularly bad fanfiction, fanart and hours of arguing on Tumblr, Reddit, Facebook or fansites. I don't really do any of those, when I argue on the internet, I do it because someone's personal attraction to Brett Dalton causes them to completely reject his canonical character in favour of their fantasy.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
While I was mostly joking, maybe?

I sometimes development preferences for fictional romantic pairings, occasionally against the showrunners progress. But I never considered it shipping. Shipping to me strikes up images of reading and writing fanfiction, particularly bad fanfiction, fanart and hours of arguing on Tumblr, Reddit, Facebook or fansites. I don't really do any of those, when I argue on the internet, I do it because someone's personal attraction to Brett Dalton causes them to completely reject his canonical character in favour of their fantasy.

I think in shipping terms you may be a tourist. Dabbles but never crosses the line. I'm much the same and honestly having stumbled across a few Community fansites/fanfics while looking up the season 6 start date last year I don't think I ever could.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So the Walking Dead is back. Who watched S6E9?

Thoughts in yellow, don't read on if you haven't seen.

I'm still smiling after Daryl blasted the Negan bikers with an RPG. The whole slaughter montage was a little too much (channeling their inner Rocky montage perhaps), but overall a good end to the Season 6A story arc. Glenn must be a Cat because he keeps on using up his nine lives. The one-eyed Cooral memes are making me laugh.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How to do Spoiler Alerts

In addition to what @Oztimmy has done above, you can use also do this for a spoiler:
This is the spoiler message that you may only want the really nosy folk to see, such as this:

If you type a square bracket "[" and then the word spoiler followed by a closing square bracket "]" at the start of the stuff you want to hide and then a square bracket and a slash "[/" and then the word spoiler followed by a closing square bracket "]" at the end you end up with the "show spoiler" thingy as above.

When it is no longer a "spoiler", you can simply edit your post to remove the "spoiler" words and the square brackets and the fancy "show spoiler" thingy goes away.

If you type a square bracket "[" and then the word spoiler followed by a closing square bracket "]" at the start of the stuff you want to hide and then a square bracket and a slash "[/" and then the word spoiler followed by a closing square bracket "]" at the end you end up with the "show spoiler" thingy as above.

When it is no longer a "spoiler", you can simply edit your post to remove the "spoiler" words and the square brackets and the fancy "show spoiler" thingy goes away.

Send me convo if you can't work out how to get the whole thing going.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vinyl on showcase. Saw Ep 1 in two sittings, first half a bit slow but really picks up in the second & delivers exactly what you'd expect from the mighty Martin Scorcese.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Falling Skies

I saw this on FTA when it was available a couple of years ago. It was quite interesting, but the formulaic stuff was getting to me a bit, particularly the stilted dialogue and cardboard cutout characters.

I was more watching it to see what would happen than anything, in terms of where the alien stuff was going. Then at the end of the second season the next bunch of aliens dropped, and the FTA status was revoked because not enough people cared I guess.

So I'm starting the Third Season, and wondering: does it get any better?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Falling Skies

I saw this on FTA when it was available a couple of years ago. It was quite interesting, but the formulaic stuff was getting to me a bit, particularly the stilted dialogue and cardboard cutout characters.

I was more watching it to see what would happen than anything, in terms of where the alien stuff was going. Then at the end of the second season the next bunch of aliens dropped, and the FTA status was revoked because not enough people cared I guess.

So I'm starting the Third Season, and wondering: does it get any better?

No. I watched all five. I was happy when it was over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I liked Season 1, watched every ep at broadcast, but just couldn't get into season 2. Binged it with Netflix, then gave up again about 4 episodes into Season 3. My feeling is that someone had a quality concept, and someone else planned out a half decent first season and general arcs for 2 or 3 more potential seasons, but none of the writers, directors, actors or editors seemed to be able to make something of that base. If I delved further into the background of the show I could be completely and utterly wrong, but eh, not too bothered.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
:(

Well, fuck it. I'm a few eps into season 3 now and my OCD won't allow me to stop there. I'll change over to something else after this season and try to forget the whole thing.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Like others have said, seasons one and two were good. It started to fall down around season three. Four and five, they just looked out of ideas. It was watchable, but it just lacked those 'oh fuck what was that" moments that keep a viewer hooked. Same can be said for revolution, the V remake and flash forward; all good starts to a story arc, but ho-hum execution.

I would like another good sci-fi series to watch. That's probably why I kept on watching Falling Skies for so long; to fill the sci-fi void. On the lookout for a new one.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Almost finished "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson and the guy from 50 Shades of Grey. It's really good. Looking forward to the final episode that I'll watch tonight.

goddamn how good was that, just hypnotic with the arty camera stuff etc
Vinyl on showcase. Saw Ep 1 in two sittings, first half a bit slow but really picks up in the second & delivers exactly what you'd expect from the mighty Martin Scorcese.

tried "Vinyl", with no small degree of trepidation, as a vinyl record obsessed fluffybunny myself from way back. 2 hour pilot episode, still can't really work out why I flagged it after the first hour. It looked really well done. With raunchy dialogue. So why did I tune out? Maybe the ol brain, being attuned to that type of dialogue and how, with the Scorcese thing, after a tense exchange some poor fucker generally gets a spoon in the eye.... yet of course it doesnt happen here. They just brood. After the stoushes I kept half expecting some fucker to get whacked mafia style. Wouldnt quite translate to the boring old record business though. Scorcese mustve been going insane, when can I wheel out the carnage you fuckers

flagging something that should be right up my alley made me question well, why is it that I watch any of these fuckhead tv dramas? An episode of "Bones" will make me want to immediately sprint outside and stab an old lady directly in the fucking brains. Instantly. No questions asked, no ifs, no buts, "sorry constable, its that fucking Bones shit on the TV, that's what made me stab this kindly old lady in the skull. 800 times."

Yet I can tune in to "NCIS" and generally, I'm fine. Then I'll try "NCIS LA" or the new "NCIS New Orleans" and within 30 seconds it's hey fuck you too, get this fucking shit away from me.

Ihomo it comes down to the perception of comraderie. If the "characters" have a rapport that piques your interest, you get drawn in and eventually "hooked". Like the hooks in a pop song draw you in. Then you extrapolate, envisioning yourself in the narrative, daydreaming about how you'd chat up that spunky Gibbs Xeva (sp?) etc etc

Comraderie. Same thing that gets rugby teams to gel and win or, without it, arrythmically unravel like untethered marionettes falling cross-eyed down a Xmas tree, to lose. The Otago Highlanders, won the lot last year, bugger-all stars. Auckland Blues, firepower all up in their cocks, schoolboy stars all over the park, lose every game.

Crippled marionettes strewn all over the dirt base of the Blues High Low Performance Centre oh shit dont get me started but i digre

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ yeah, I pretty much gave up on Vinyl at around HT but came back to it a coupla days later because (a) there was fuckallelse on & (b) I'd had a few. Glad I did & recommend you give it another crack. Without giving too much away the eventual whacking is almost of GoodFellas standard.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep, Vinyl is worthy of a watch, more so for the music perhaps than for the storyline.

Only watched a few episodes of Falling Skies before packing it in. Happy about that given the comments on here. Never ever got into NCIS in any of its iterations.

Some new British cops shows airing atm that some might like. Cuffs, Unforgotten, No Offence. The last one written by Paul Abbott whom I'm sure wrote the story for the original British version of Shameless, and the language is certainly reminiscent and just as colourful.

Also, look out for the new season of Luther, starting tonight on BBC I think.